Contant network/hardware activity???

Brian W

May 6, 2013, 6:37:11 PM5/6/13
I finally made the jump to try something different from Dlink's default software.  However the blue light on the box constantly "flutters".  I have yet to migrate all my data back on to the NAS and trying to figure out why there's this "activity" if nothing is stored on the NAS I'm not doing anything on my network.

I'm using AltF0.3RC3

João Cardoso

May 7, 2013, 11:00:52 PM5/7/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, May 6, 2013 11:32:25 PM UTC+1, Brian W wrote:
I finally made the jump to try something different from Dlink's default software.  However the blue light on the box

Which one? there are four blue leds. Do you mean the network led?

constantly "flutters".

What do you mean with that? Once a second? furiously? regularly?

  I have yet to migrate all my data back on to the NAS and trying to figure out why there's this "activity" if nothing is stored on the NAS I'm not doing anything on my network.

As long as there are network services running, there is network activity, even if you don't transfer files.
Look at your router leds. Are they blinking? Do they stop blinking if you unplug the nas network cable?

I'm using AltF0.3RC3

Brian

May 8, 2013, 3:08:10 AM5/8/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Dlink FW 1.09, I was used to the middle “activity”  light blinking once every couple of seconds.  With Alt-F, the activity light would be off for 2-3 seconds and then it would do 5-7 blinks..and this pattern kept on repeating.  I understand – different firmware, different activity.  My only prior experience with Linux is Mint.

No worries, I went reflashed to Dlink v1.10.  My lack of experience with linux was’t giving me a warm fuzzy about working with something that that I had to use Google or the DNS wiki more times than not.  Alt-F seemed to work fine, I admit I had no idea what to do with the ffp and still couldn’t get Debian to “run” after installing it over the network.

Brian

No virus found in this message.