Amber leds

Carlo Coin

Dec 31, 2018, 1:06:38 AM12/31/18
to al...@googlegroups.com

Good morning,
I already tried to search the forum but I do not think I found it.
It 's only a few days that I activated the nas d-link dns-323 but in the morning I find the amber leds as if there was a problem with the disks.
When I try to access the data on the disks, there is no problem.
After a restart, the leds return blue and the right one remains off.
What should I check at the log level?
Thanks in advance for assistance.
Carlo
Alt-F status.png
Raid.png

João Cardoso

Jan 2, 2019, 1:19:40 PM1/2/19
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, 31 December 2018 06:06:38 UTC, Carlo Coin wrote:

Good morning,
I already tried to search the forum but I do not think I found it.
It 's only a few days that I activated the nas d-link dns-323 but in the morning I find the amber leds

amber leds turned on means that some error or warning is displayed in the Status page. It might be a transient situation and as such disappears after a reboot.

as if there was a problem with the disks.
When I try to access the data on the disks, there is no problem.
After a restart, the leds return blue and the right one remains off.

The disk blue leds are not controlled by Alt-F, but by the linux kernel disk driver. On some boxes models it means "disk present", on others "disk transfer",... no easy or possible  control over them, and their activity will not appear on any log.
The blue (or white, depends on box models) power led is controlled by Alt-F
Message has been deleted

Carlo Coin

Jan 3, 2019, 4:50:09 AM1/3/19
to Alt-F
Thanks for the reply.
I activated the cron service and expected a daily reboot of the NAS. This could be useful?
Thank you

João Cardoso

Jan 3, 2019, 10:19:32 AM1/3/19
to Alt-F

On Thursday, 3 January 2019 09:50:09 UTC, Carlo Coin wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
I activated the cron service and expected a daily reboot of the NAS. This could be useful?

I see no advantages, only disadvantages... my backup box if usually powered on during months.

If you notice degradation of some service over time or usage, you can just restart  the service itself using cron, e.g., "rcsmb restart"; generally "rc<service name> restart"

Carlo Coin

Jan 3, 2019, 11:58:53 AM1/3/19
to Alt-F
Thanks for the answers.
I thought that a reboot could be useful to reset some situations and bring the device back to an initial and clean situation.
So it is correct to leave it active until conditions appear that require the restart of services or at all.
What bothered me was the amber color of the LEDs that in the manual D-link indicates an error.
I will follow your advice.
Thank you and greetings.