Install minidlna 1.3.2

Tom Cadorette

Nov 29, 2022, 12:00:59 PM11/29/22
to Alt-F
Hey folks, I'm interested in installing minidlna 1.3.2 on my box (DNS-323-B1, Alt-F 1.0), but there is no Alt-F pkg for it. My older Samsung TV isn't playing well with v1.3.0, and a tech dude suggested I try a newer version (although both of us are skeptical that it will solve the problem, but we've tried everything else).

Can I install something directly from a tar.gz file? If so, how? My knowledge of Linux is extremely limited -- I know enough to make me dangerous but not enough to do too much unsupervised :lol:

If anyone can help, that would be great -- thank you
Tom

Tom Cadorette

Nov 29, 2022, 12:40:56 PM11/29/22
to Alt-F
I should clarify: any way to install it so that it can managed through the Alt-F UI? If not, I could muddle through doing whatever needs to be done through the command line.

Tom Cadorette

Jan 28, 2023, 11:20:07 AM1/28/23
to Alt-F
Any help out there? :-)

Hell Fish

Jan 29, 2023, 6:32:04 AM1/29/23
to Alt-F
as a general answer, regarding Linux and "Can I install something directly from a tar.gz file?" - unfortunately no. On a desktop system it isn't very difficult to compile, but cross compile for a tiny box is something else.

I think the right place to request this would be https://sourceforge.net/p/alt-f/packagerequest/, however everyone's free time is limited and I would not get my hopes too high.
If you have the time and courage you could follow https://sourceforge.net/p/alt-f/wiki/How%20to%20Create%20Packages/ but the learning curve is rather steep.

Joao Cardoso

Feb 1, 2023, 10:41:41 PM2/1/23
to Alt-F
Try installing the attached pkg file:
Transfer it to the box, say, to /Public/RW, then as the root user from the command line issue the command
   ipkg install /Public/RW/minidlna_1.3.2_arm.ipk
Tested with VLC for linux and on am Android Sony TV.

Notice that the original author forget to bump the version, so if after install you do
   minidlna -V
 1.3.1 will be displayed instead of 1.3.2
minidlna_1.3.2_arm.ipk

Roberto Ribes

Feb 10, 2023, 1:52:07 AM2/10/23
to Alt-F
Hi!
Is it working better than the version on sougeforce? Maybe is it possible to update on the package repository?

What is the best DLNA server on the repo? Thank you very much.

Tom Cadorette

Feb 18, 2023, 1:05:06 PM2/18/23
to Alt-F
Joao, thank you so much for the assist!

Hell Fish, thank you for the info for me to learn a new way of breaking my box! :)

Tom

Joao Cardoso

Feb 28, 2023, 11:00:55 PM2/28/23
to al...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Feb 18, 2023 at 6:05 PM Tom Cadorette <tom.ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
Joao, thank you so much for the assist!

But have you installed/upgraded it? Did it solve your issues?
I can put it in the sourceforge repository after having positive feedback.

Roberto Ribes

Mar 12, 2023, 1:25:07 PM3/12/23
to Alt-F
Current version is working for me but tonight I'll try the new 1.3.2 version because of security patches.
I'll give feedback after trying it.

Thank you.

Tom Cadorette

Mar 12, 2023, 1:41:45 PM3/12/23
to al...@googlegroups.com
Works fine for me. Seamless drop-in.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Alt-F" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/alt-f/a3e285c8-6ba4-4e74-b503-d207734e14b1n%40googlegroups.com.
--
Tom Cadorette (he/him)
Alexandria, VA

Roberto Ribes

Mar 13, 2023, 6:12:02 PM3/13/23
to Alt-F
Tested miniDLNA 1.3.2 with old Samsung TV (KU6000) and Amazon Fire TV 4K Max with Kodi 20.1.
Seems all OK.
Message has been deleted