What is the U31 component in a DNS-323 REV B1?

m...@sglebs.com

Dec 27, 2016, 11:41:31 AM12/27/16
to Alt-F
Hi,

  My DNS-323 revB1 left bay is not working. I thought it was an alt-f bug but disassembling the unit I see U31 blown up. Does anybody by any chance have a picture of a similar board showing what U31 is? It is near the white hard drive connector. Here:

  Thanks!

marcio

m...@sglebs.com

Dec 28, 2016, 5:19:56 AM12/28/16
to Alt-F

This image https://nas-tweaks.net/63/hardwaredetails-of-the-conceptronic-ch3snas/ shows it looks like a transistor, but we can't tell which one exactly.

Anybody with a better image, more zoom?

m...@sglebs.com

Jan 5, 2017, 7:44:30 AM1/5/17
to Alt-F

I managed to obtain an image from a good board. It says A01A. But I was told this is not enough info to buy a spare part.

Does anybody know?

João Cardoso

Jan 5, 2017, 1:07:53 PM1/5/17
to Alt-F

On Thursday, 5 January 2017 12:44:30 UTC, mqm wrote:

I managed to obtain an image from a good board. It says A01A. But I was told this is not enough info to buy a spare part.

How many soldered pins the ic has? 3, 4? It looks like a "power" transistor. If it is, then one of the pin should be larger, soldered to the ground plane and behave like a heat dissipator. just guessing, all details are important.

If it is just a transistor, then you can replace it with a general purpose one, even if it does not fit, but you need to have some knowledge to know/measure what each pin is/soldered: drain, colector, base, gate...

If only the left bay is not working, then an identical IC should exists also for the right bay; it might even be in the circuit board back. You can then measure each ping voltage level on the good IC, infer its functionality, and replace the blown one with a discrete general purpose equivalent.

Not a task for everyone.

m...@sglebs.com

Jan 5, 2017, 1:30:00 PM1/5/17
to Alt-F

3 pins. See https://twitter.com/wolfuli/status/815622288045436929

only the left bay is not working. right bay works.