Simple install instructions please

King Fu

Jun 9, 2020, 5:58:39 AM6/9/20
to Alt-F

Proper noob here... Is there somewhere that I can find simple step by step, none technical instructions to get alt-f and make my DNS320 useful again? I did search, but all instructions I found told me what to do but not how to do it, like entering commands (where?). Thank in advance for any help/pointers.

King Fu

Jun 9, 2020, 6:34:58 AM6/9/20
to Alt-F

On Tuesday, 9 June 2020 10:58:39 UTC+1, King Fu wrote:

I am trying to install using d-link sharecenter by going to system management, firmware update, then selecting the foler with bin and sha1 files. Every time I get "Upload firmware fail. Please retry again."
 Is there a better way to install?

Rolf Pedersen

Jun 9, 2020, 8:27:29 AM6/9/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
Select the .bin file.

King Fu

Jun 9, 2020, 8:37:52 AM6/9/20
to Alt-F

On Tuesday, 9 June 2020 13:27:29 UTC+1, Rolf Pedersen wrote:

On 6/9/20 3:34 AM, King Fu wrote:

On Tuesday, 9 June 2020 10:58:39 UTC+1, King Fu wrote:

I am trying to install using d-link sharecenter by going to system management, firmware update, then selecting the foler with bin and sha1 files. Every time I get "Upload firmware fail. Please retry again."
 Is there a better way to install?
Select the .bin file.
Yes, I did this, which is when it comes up with the firmware fail.

Rolf Pedersen

Jun 9, 2020, 9:33:22 AM6/9/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
You said "the foler with bin and sha1 files" in your first message, which is different from select the .bin file.  Which is it?

King Fu

Jun 9, 2020, 9:53:37 AM6/9/20
to Alt-F
Yes, I said I selected the folder, I did not go on to say that I selected the bin file from that folder, my mistake for not being specific but I thought that part would be presumed.
If that is correct then maybe I should try an older firmware?

Rolf Pedersen

Jun 9, 2020, 10:20:31 AM6/9/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
https://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/Releases/

It depends what is your NAS model.  Older than what?  You don't say either model or what firmware or what instructions you followed.  On that page, 1.0.1 is a bug fix release only for the DNR-322L.

General instructions are in the Readme at the 1.0 link.  Read that and apply according to your hardware.  See, especially, "Please read until the end, particularly the Firmware upgrading instructions, enjoy and report any issue, João"

Specificity is a vital requirement for asking and receiving help.  You are very stingy with specifics.  See:  http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Rolf

King Fu

Jun 9, 2020, 10:59:14 AM6/9/20
to Alt-F
 It depends what is your NAS model. -   DNS320 as above, and a3 but firmware is for any (Ax)

Older than what? Older than the firmware which I tried to install which I guess are the latest as I only downloaded yesterday

You don't say either model or what firmware or what instructions you followed.  I did state the model, I did not know the firmware but it was the latest downloadable and using the readme 1.0. These were the only instructions I could find and which I explain above are not clear " instructions I found told me what to do but not how to do it, like entering commands (where?)"

General instructions are in the Readme at the 1.0 link.  Read that and apply according to your hardware.  See, especially, "Please read until the end, - this is exactly what I have attempted to do and the reason why I asked for step by step, non tech instructions. Here are some examples of what my initial post says (ie told me what to do but not how to do it):

-use the normal firmware upgrade method to flash it - what is a normal method???

-When alternating between D-Link and Alt-F firmware clear the browser cache.
 The box name and IP might also change, consult your router DHCP client/lease page. - all absolute gobbledegoop to me. This is not very helpful to a noob.

Specificity is a vital requirement for asking and receiving help. - I see that now but I honestly thought it would be an easy fix that somebody could just point me in the direction of instructions for noobs, but I guess there are none.

You are very stingy with specifics. - (I would argue that so is the readme 1.0) I can only give information that I know as a complete noob, and as I said, I thought it would be an easy fix where no specifics would be required, after all, I was only asking for simple install instructions. Now it seems that I may have followed the correct instructions in the correct manner so there may be another problem which may require more details - but I still would not know what details or where to find this further info.

King Fu

Jun 9, 2020, 11:01:57 AM6/9/20
to Alt-F
firmware:  Alt-F-1.0-DNS-320-rev-Ax.bin

João Cardoso

Jun 9, 2020, 12:00:27 PM6/9/20
to Alt-F

On Tuesday, 9 June 2020 16:01:57 UTC+1, King Fu wrote:

On Tuesday, 9 June 2020 15:59:14 UTC+1, King Fu wrote:

On Tuesday, 9 June 2020 15:20:31 UTC+1, Rolf Pedersen wrote:

On 6/9/20 6:53 AM, King Fu wrote:

On 6/9/20 3:34 AM, King Fu wrote:

On Tuesday, 9 June 2020 10:58:39 UTC+1, King Fu wrote:

I am trying to install using d-link sharecenter by going to system management, firmware update, then selecting the foler with bin and sha1 files. Every time I get "Upload firmware fail. Please retry again."
 Is there a better way to install?
Have you considered the hypotesys of a bad download? Have you at least confirmed the size of your downloaded file and the published file size? Consider removing the downloaded file, clear the browser cache and download again? Or using another browser to do the download?

Have you never flashed D-Link released firmware upgrades? That's the "normal way". If you can't do even that, stop, Alt-F is not for you.

King Fu

Jun 9, 2020, 12:32:18 PM6/9/20
to Alt-F
Thanks for your advice:

Have you considered the hypotesys of a bad download? Yes, I did try to download again, however I did not clear my browser. I did not verify file size as I was not sure how to do this. I will try using another browser.

Have you never flashed D-Link released firmware upgrades? I have not

If you can't do even that, stop, Alt-F is not for you. It is not to say that I cannot do this, I never have, but given straight forward instructions I am sure it would not be difficult as I am reasonably intelligent, it is just a new area for me to learn. Besides, it is a case of needing Alt-F as D-link decided that they no longer want to support my DNS320.

King Fu

Jun 9, 2020, 2:11:20 PM6/9/20
to Alt-F
Update. I have now tried to download the firmware using a different browser. I still have the same issue where it does not upload. I checked and both my downloads are  23.9MB where sound forge lists it as 25.1. If this is the problem are there any other sources to try downloading the firmware bin, or any other suggestions?

tfadden

Jun 9, 2020, 2:23:50 PM6/9/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
If I remember correctly, isn't there a jumper you have to set in order to allow firmware upgrades?  I suggest getting the original user manual from their website and checking.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/alt-f/d08b690d-cc83-4843-ad6b-2d21f758b4a2o%40googlegroups.com.

João Cardoso

Jun 9, 2020, 2:53:34 PM6/9/20
to Alt-F
There are only two (three) hypothesis for the D-Link fw to not accept the Alt-F fw file:
-either you are downloading the wrong fw, look at the box bottom or back labels identifying the model and hardware revision (HW),
-or the download is corrupted. Download both the bin and sha1 Alt-F files and use a sha1 checker (microsoft has one).

the third hypothesis: Try first updating the box fw using d-link supplied own fw files. It is possible that your box fw is so old that it does not even accepts newer fw -- you told that you never updated it.

@tfadden: a jumper? I never heard of that... but I don't have a DNS-320-revAx. The suggestion to use the user manual is good, and should be simple and clear enough.

King Fu

Jun 10, 2020, 5:40:38 PM6/10/20
to Alt-F
-either you are downloading the wrong fw,  - No, checked this about 10 times.
-or the download is corrupted. Download both the bin and sha1 Alt-F files and use a sha1 checker (microsoft has one). I will look into this. It does seem as though I am not getting the complete fw although I have tried various sources.

the third hypothesis: Try first updating the box fw using d-link supplied own fw files.  managed to update dlink firmware to 1.1 but Alt-F still failed....

Thanks for the suggestions but still no solution.

David Acevedo

Nov 15, 2020, 8:12:01 AM11/15/20
to Alt-F
I have the same issue with a DNS-320L rev. A3:

Sin nombre.png

I have the last firmware from DLink for that model (v 1.11):

Screenshot_2020-11-15 nas.png

Downloaded the right firmware file and checked the SHA1 hash match:

Sin título.png
Sin título.png

And no luck.
Screenshot_2020-11-15 nas2.png

I don't like to be annoying, but, some ideas?

João Cardoso

Nov 15, 2020, 1:45:26 PM11/15/20
to Alt-F
On Sunday, November 15, 2020 at 1:12:01 PM UTC mixe...@gmail.com wrote:
I have the same issue with a DNS-320L rev. A3:

Sin nombre.png

I have the last firmware from DLink for that model (v 1.11):

The last I tested with was 1.06

Screenshot_2020-11-15 nas.png

Downloaded the right firmware file and checked the SHA1 hash match:

Sin título.png
Sin título.png

OK

And no luck.

What do you mean with that? The firmware was rejected? A message appeared saying something? The D-link webUI got stuck? The progress-bar never appeared? It appeared but got stuck at some point?
Up to this point your ask for help was informative enough, it only failed here, "no luck" :-)

I downloaded and checked (not flashed) the d-link 1.11 fw and its format is compatible with previous ones, so there should be no issue. Might be they are now more stringent on requirements, e.g. Alt-F fw does have a zero length 'defaults' content.

You have two hypotheses, downgrade D-Link firmware to see if old versions accepts Alt-F-1.0, or try to flash a previous Alt-F firmware (try 0.1RC4.1) and then upgrade to 1.0.
Notice that I have a 320L-revA1, but reports show that A2 and A3 boards (and A4, search for juanmi513  post one month ago at https://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/ ) are compatible.

David Acevedo

Nov 16, 2020, 1:31:29 AM11/16/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
Those two hypotheses make a good start point for me. I will check it ASAP.
Thank you, João.

David Acevedo

Nov 16, 2020, 2:18:22 PM11/16/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
I've found the problem, and I feel ashamed. I'm sorry so much for wasting your time.
The problem was that I was trying to upload DNS320 firmware, and my box is a DNS320L.
Actually, I didn't know that such a model existed.
May be, King Fu had the same problem, since it's easy to miss it.
Anyway, the problem is solved for me.

Regards.