Forcefix status display?

Bayu Ubay

Mar 11, 2015, 6:56:05 PM3/11/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I use a JBOD 2x1.5TB and I've just flashed alt-f firmware to my DNS-323 rev. C1 from D-Link 1.08 and the error message is:
  • Unable to automatically fix md0, mounting Read Only: fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
    /dev/md0 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
    /dev/md0: Entry 'BOS' in /Pindahan 4TB/ASUS/Music (182370405) is a link to directory /Pindahan 4TB/ASUS/Music/BOS (182706177).

    /dev/md0: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
    	(i.e., without -a or -p options)
So, I checked first on the Setup->Folders and my files were there. Then I clicked on the Disk->Filesystems and tried ForceFix on the md0.

What happened next was the md0 is missing from the Setup->Folders and the blue light is blinking at a fast interval. Is that normal and how long does it usually take? It's already been almost 2 hours since I did the ForceFix command. Will I get my md0 folders back?

I'm panicking because the status doesn't show any process happening (although the blue light on the power button and disk indicator keep blinking at a fast and steady interval) and I haven't done any backup.

It just says that md0 raid is in clean state but I couldn't access it from Setup->Folders.

I also tried the md0 filesystem check and got this:
  • Checking md0 finished with status code 8: fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
    fsck.ext2: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/md0
    Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?
so I assume the filesystem is still being fixed by the ForceFix command. Crossing my fingers and hoping my assumption is correct.

Many thanks and greetings from Indonesia.

João Cardoso

Mar 12, 2015, 11:41:06 AM3/12/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 10:56:05 PM UTC, Bayu Ubay wrote:
Hi,
I use a JBOD 2x1.5TB and I've just flashed alt-f firmware to my DNS-323 rev. C1 from D-Link 1.08 and the error message is:
  • Unable to automatically fix md0, mounting Read Only: fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
    /dev/md0 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
    /dev/md0: Entry 'BOS' in /Pindahan 4TB/ASUS/Music (182370405) is a link to directory /Pindahan 4TB/ASUS/Music/BOS (182706177).

    /dev/md0: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
    	(i.e., without -a or -p options)
So, I checked first on the Setup->Folders and my files were there. Then I clicked on the Disk->Filesystems and tried ForceFix on the md0.

What happened next was the md0 is missing from the Setup->Folders and the blue light is blinking at a fast interval. Is that normal

Yes.
As the confirmation prompt says:

However your report shows that there is a bug in the Status webUI: when doing a ForceFix operation its evolution is not shown. That is now fixed. Thanks.

and how long does it usually take? It's already been almost 2 hours since I did the ForceFix command.

It depends on how full the filesystem is. It can take from a few minutes to several hours.

Will I get my md0 folders back?

By now it must be already available.

After experimenting with Alt-F, and if you will continue using it, you should convert your filesystem from ext2 to ext3 or ext4, as the filesystem check is faster. That can be done in the Filesystem webUI, FS Operations.

I'm panicking because the status doesn't show any process happening (although the blue light on the power button and disk indicator keep blinking at a fast and steady interval)

For all boxes but the 320L the power led should be blinking with a heart pace rhythm during the process and stops at the end. For the 320L the power led simply blinks. That's all explained in the "About leds and buttons" wiki.

Bayu Ubay

Mar 12, 2015, 7:54:14 PM3/12/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi, so I finally got my md0 back and I'm currently doing back up process to a 4TB ntfs external drive via USB port (there's no progress bar, also). It's already 1 day and I'm sure it's going to take some time because the amount of data is quite large (2.7TB). Thank you very much for the fast reply.

Regarding the error message itself, does it mean I have a defective HDD(s)? Or could I just rebuild the JBD using the old 2x 1.5TB drives after back up process is completed?

João Cardoso

Mar 13, 2015, 1:34:08 PM3/13/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 11:54:14 PM UTC, Bayu Ubay wrote:
Hi, so I finally got my md0 back and I'm currently doing back up process to a 4TB ntfs external drive via USB port (there's no progress bar, also)

Using the Folder Setup copy webUI? It takes *huge* amounts of time just to *calculate" the progress (and not performing the copy during that time)... only reasonable for a few tens of GB

. It's already 1 day and I'm sure it's going to take some time because the amount of data is quite large (2.7TB).

At 10MBps that is going to take some  2700000 / 10 / 3600 / 24 = 3 days. If the USB doesn't "clog". It would be faster to copy using the network... and the Setup Folder copy webUI is not really meant to be used for this huge amount of data...

Thank you very much for the fast reply.

Regarding the error message itself, does it mean I have a defective HDD(s)?

No, just months or years of not being ever fschked (when using the D-Link fw).

Or could I just rebuild the JBD using the old 2x 1.5TB drives after back up process is completed?

By "rebuild" you mean creating a new JBOD and a new filesystem on it? You can do that, starting afresh is always good, but there is no need. Convert the filesystem to ext3 or ext4 after having the backup done.