Cannot access SMB Shares from any machine - but can SSH/Web login.

ope...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2012, 5:20:11 AM12/27/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hai there,

First of all - Incredible work! Thanks for all the hard work and time you put into this firmware. :)

I am facing a problem - I can't for the life of me get the smb shares to work. I tried reflashing ALT-F RC2 a couple times with vendor 1.10 in between - Still no luck.

I am able to ping - SSH , but cant access the shares from any of my machines - Windows or Mac.

I have an internal 500GB harddisk on the right , and left slot if empty. There is a Seagate Freeagent 2.0TB USB attached.

I tried changing the permissions on "Directory Browse" page, but that doesn't seem to do anything. :(

Strangly, I was able to access the shares immediately, when i flashed Dlink 1.10 firmware. But being a hardcore rebel, I flashed ALT-F again and am determined to get it working. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Joao Cardoso

Dec 28, 2012, 8:58:14 PM12/28/12
to Alt-F Group

On Dec 27, 2012 10:20 AM, <ope...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hai there,
>
> First of all - Incredible work! Thanks for all the hard work and time you put into this firmware. :)
>
> I am facing a problem - I can't for the life of me get the smb shares to work. I tried reflashing ALT-F RC2 a couple times

There is no point in reflashing, if flashing fails the box becomes a brick, not working at all, not half-working.

with vendor 1.10 in between - Still no luck.

> I am able to ping - SSH , but cant access the shares from any of my machines - Windows or Mac.

Can you see the box in the network explorer, even if without any share?

> I have an internal 500GB harddisk on the right , and left slot if empty. There is a Seagate Freeagent 2.0TB USB attached.
>
> I tried changing the permissions on "Directory Browse" page, but that doesn't seem to do anything. :(

Have you started/configured the samba server? Services->Network->smb start/configure.

If you create an user, either during the first login tour or using Setup->Users, a set of shares with the correct permissions will be created.
Have you done that?