Need some help if anyone can assist.

Taz Manian

Oct 17, 2013, 5:53:44 AM10/17/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys ,

I recently updated one of my DNS323 boxes firmware and it failed and crashed the box completely.
I have since acquired a serial cable and im able to get access to the device over that to the MARVEL> prompt.

I have followed the guide here :  http://dns323.kood.org/howto:reflash_from_windows
and i get as far as step 8 in teraterm and it then gives an error (i forget the exact error but its something about memory)
Is there any way to completely remove everything before uploading in step 7 so that i wouldn't run into memory issues or is there a way around it ??

Thanks

Taz

Brandon Hume

Oct 17, 2013, 8:28:58 AM10/17/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
On 10/17/13 06:53 AM, Taz Manian wrote:
> and i get as far as step 8 in teraterm and it then gives an error (i
> forget the exact error but its something about memory)

This is a pretty important piece of information. "Something about
memory" could mean not enough memory for the current process, or it
could mean that the system memory is fried and spewing errors.

Taz Manian

Oct 17, 2013, 1:54:28 PM10/17/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Yeah sorry that was a big vague , but i hadnt tried it in a while and forgot what it said ... this is the output :

U-Boot 1.1.1 (Feb 26 2009 - 11:33:03) Marvell version: 1.7.3.003

DRAM CS[0] base 0x00000000   size  64MB
DRAM Total size  64MB
Detect phy 1118
[8192kB@ff800000] Flash:  8 MB
Addresses 20M - 0M are saved for the U-Boot usage.
Mem malloc Initialization (20M - 16M): Done
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

Soc: MV88F5182 Rev 2
CPU: ARM926 (Rev 0) running @ 500Mhz
SysClock = 166Mhz , TClock = 166Mhz

USB 0: host mode
USB 1: host mode
PCI 0: PCI Express Root Complex Interface
PCI 1: Conventional PCI, speed = 33000000
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
## Booting image at ff820000 ...
Bad Header Checksum
Marvell>>
Marvell>> loadb k
## Ready for binary (kermit) download to 0x00100000 at 115200 bps...
## Total Size      = 0x00151aac = 1383084 Bytes
## Start Addr      = 0x00100000
Un-Protect Flash Bank # 1
Erase Kernel from 0xff820000 to 0xff99ffff Can't erase unknown flash type - abor
ted
Erased 1 sectors
[...]
Kernel Size = 1383084
Copy to Flash... done
Protect Flash Bank # 1
Marvell>>

João Cardoso

Oct 17, 2013, 8:12:24 PM10/17/13
looks like the flash memory is in error.

Can you try steps 9 and 10? The ramdisk uses a different area of the flash memory (although all steps needs to succeed)

You can also try to load the kernel and ramdisk in memory, and execute from memory. Then, if it succeeds, you can use the usual D-Link firmware upgrade page to try to flash the firmware.

There has been some time that I used u-boot, can't give specific guidance, but typing a ? should display the available commands, one of them must be 'erase', but don't erase the u-boot flash partition, or you will not be able to use the serial connection anymore.

There is a somewhat extensive thread about un-bricking at in http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewforum.php?id=6  "I have bricked my DNS-323"

What hardware board do you have? A1, B1 or C1? (look at the box bottom label).
Did the bricking occurred while flashing Alt-F or the vendor's firmware?

Taz Manian

Oct 17, 2013, 8:44:32 PM10/17/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

[...]

Hi Joao,
Thanks for the reply.
Steps 9 and 10 give the same type of reply

How do i load into memory ?
Ill check the commands and see about erase , or google a bit more on it - thanks for the link , ill read all of that too and see if it can help any.
Ill check the hardware version later and no , the bricking occured when doing a default update of the device with Dlink firmware , but i stupidly did it over wireless which is probably the issue.

Taz

mattg

Oct 18, 2013, 3:20:01 AM10/18/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

Taz,
Have you tried using Linux instead of windows? According to this post http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php?pid=30795#p30795 there is a problem with using windows. I would try that before messing with UBoot.The device runs Linux so it would make sense to use Linux. If you have a spare flash drive, you can create a live Ubuntu drive with a Casper RW partition (although this method is slow to load).
Matt

João Cardoso

Oct 18, 2013, 9:55:27 AM10/18/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, October 18, 2013 1:44:32 AM UTC+1, Taz Manian wrote:

[...]

see

http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php?pid=34855#p34855 with some more hints, plus the next post

Please notice that as u-boot can't write to flash, then the prognostic for un-bricking  is not good.