Encountering a few issues

Marc Schubert

Sep 16, 2013, 8:24:06 PM9/16/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've been using Alt-F 0.1RC3 for about a month now on a DNS-323 with two 1TB hard drives. Things have been going well for the most part.

I checked the status and logs about a week ago and noticed a few issues:

1) Network interface statistics on the Status page is incorrect... I've transferred hundreds of GB's to the box and yet the Rx shows only a few GiB's. What's up?

2) I've scheduled short drive self test to run M-Sat. at 6am and long self test to run Sunday at 6am and I noticed that it was starting an hour behind schedule... What's up?

3) I've noticed after the box is running for a few days that the free memory is very low: 3-10MBs. Is this normal?

I rebooted the box a few days ago and checked the status and logs again tonight and the above issues are still present.

Thank you for your time.

João Cardoso

Sep 17, 2013, 9:51:07 AM9/17/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:24:06 AM UTC+1, Marc Schubert wrote:
Hi,

I've been using Alt-F 0.1RC3 for about a month now on a DNS-323 with two 1TB hard drives. Things have been going well for the most part.

I checked the status and logs about a week ago and noticed a few issues:

1) Network interface statistics on the Status page is incorrect... I've transferred hundreds of GB's to the box and yet the Rx shows only a few GiB's. What's up?

Those counters are maintained by the linux kernel. Yes, I also noticed that they not seem to be accurate.
They are extracted from the 'ifconfig eth0' command and should match 'cat /sys/class/net/eth0/statistics/tx_bytes  /sys/class/net/eth0/statistics/rx_bytes'

2) I've scheduled short drive self test to run M-Sat. at 6am and long self test to run Sunday at 6am and I noticed that it was starting an hour behind schedule... What's up?

Is the time/date correct? is DST (Daylight saving time) in effect?

3) I've noticed after the box is running for a few days that the free memory is very low: 3-10MBs. Is this normal?

Yes. All free memory is used for disk/ caching/buffering. A few minutes after starting using linux you will find almost no "free" memory.

Marc Schubert

Sep 17, 2013, 2:01:55 PM9/17/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Glad it's not just me with the weird Rx and Tx stats. Is it something you're able to fix?

Regarding the scheduled tests: The box is showing the correct time, and DST is in effect for my timezone. Initially, the self tests were running on schedule, and then I did a restart a few weeks back and the tests were off schedule by about two hours and after this most recent restart they're off by 51 minutes... the self tests are starting at 6:51, as opposed to 6:00. However, the SNTP daemon which is scheduled for 6:00 is running at the correct time. I'm baffled...

Finally, thank you for the reassurance with the low memory.

João Cardoso

Sep 18, 2013, 4:10:26 PM9/18/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:01:55 PM UTC+1, Marc Schubert wrote:
Glad it's not just me with the weird Rx and Tx stats. Is it something you're able to fix?

No. Perhaps the next kernel has that solved (as well as the possibly related issue 140, counters overflow)

Regarding the scheduled tests: The box is showing the correct time, and DST is in effect for my timezone. Initially, the self tests were running on schedule, and then I did a restart a few weeks back and the tests were off schedule by about two hours and after this most recent restart they're off by 51 minutes... the self tests are starting at 6:51, as opposed to 6:00. However, the SNTP daemon which is scheduled for 6:00 is running at the correct time. I'm baffled...

hmm, smart tests are started by smartctl itself, they are not handled through cron, as some other services are.
What happens if you disable DST? will the smart tests run at the set system time?