Theme - New Take on Current Dark Theme

eutopian...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2019, 3:49:24 PM4/26/19
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone, I wanted to get your guys take on a theme currently in the works by another developer (Please forgive me as I can't find who the original author is. As soon as I find who the original author is I will update this to give them the credit).

Changes made are mostly in the colors, and formatting. I have corrected some bugs in the format and text alightment. Wanted to see what you guys think.. Please bare in mind that I have branded the theme for my Companies colors and Logo Image.

If you guys like it, I will try to make some changes so that you can easily add your own images, and colors.

For some reason the thumbnail images are not the same as the actual images. You will need to open the images to see what it actuaily looks like. Seems Google forums have cached the old images. Strange...
Thanks!

John

brand theme screenshot.jpeg
color-menu.jpeg

eutopian...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2019, 11:03:07 PM4/28/19
to Alt-F
What would be the best way to submit my theme for possible release with the next revision of Alt-F? I only have 1 bug in this theme that I am stuck with trying to fix, other then that, I have completely tested the theme on my DNS-325, and every thing is working as should be expected. Including all of the CSS, Font Awesome, new files, and the functionality of all of the pages, and features. Everything works as it should.

The responsive and a bug with the Logo Image are the two places in which I could use a hand fixing, however, anyone using this theme, the logo can be removed which will solve one of the bugs leaving just the responsive coding is all that I can't get to work right.

So if I remove the code for my Branded Logo, that removes one of the few hurdles. Everything else works perfectly. While I recall you saying that you might include my theme if it was just a color change and no mahot changes, the Font Awsome really brings the new theme together and I would like to leave them in if possible. If you would prefer I create a version where just the color chnages are there, and I remove the Font Awespme, I can do that.

Since I am not to familiar with how to check code in to Git, I can provide all the files to whom ever would like them (the *thm, css, html, and js files) where the changes are made, I can do so, just let me know where to send them since zip files are not acceptable via Google Groups.

Many thanks! I really hope everyone enjoys this theme as much as I enjoyed making it! This would be my first contribution to a project, and since I love this project, I wanted in some way to be able to give back by creating this theme which I hope everyone enjoys.

Thank you!

John

João Cardoso

Apr 30, 2019, 1:33:50 PM4/30/19
to Alt-F

On Monday, 29 April 2019 04:03:07 UTC+1, eutopiantraderllc wrote:
[...]

What it accepts is a mystery, and depends on its contents. There are several zip files in the forum, so they were accepted, but Google might have change the rules.
You best option is to use your Google Drive, Dropbox or whatever and share the link.

As for inclusion on Alt-F, bytes are a premium resource, I often have to fight hard to get a few hundred (sometimes tens!) bytes available for the standard firmware (on the DNS-323, which is the minimum base of all supported boxes). So, make your code available and with a compatible licence and I will see if it fits. Thanks.

eutopian...@gmail.com

May 1, 2019, 10:03:51 AM5/1/19
to al...@googlegroups.com
Joao,

When you say lisence which are you referring to? Forgive my being nieve here, but this is the first time I have ever had the oppurtunity to write any code that could be considered as part of someone elses project or that of any project to be honest. So I am not sure which licensing I need to cover. My code would be considered under the GNU Open Source lisensing as I would want this to be open to anyone wanting to make their won changes should they choose. I will try to fix the last bug I have in the theme, if I can't fix it, I will remove the piece of code causing the problems which is not needed for the theme to be complete.

I know that this is not your responsibility to teach me how to ensure that my licensing is in place, but I could use some guidenace as this is all a first for me.

That said, I will package up what I have, and I will include the GNU license and if there is one for the use of Font Awesome I will try to include that as well, though again I am not entirely sure what the cprrect process is. With out the proper guidance I will do my best, and let me know if I need anything else.

I apprceate your assistance and for allowing me to contribute to you amazing project!

Thank you!
John

eutopian...@gmail.com

May 1, 2019, 6:30:14 PM5/1/19
to Alt-F
Question - Since I have made changes to the Help Files, as well as adding a new CSS file for the Help.html files, is there a way for me to include this in a zip that can be installed using the Theme intaller on the Utilitoes Page? Or do I need to create a way to manually install them?

OR

Can I supply you with the files (I can check them into Git (if I can figure out how to do this since I have never done that before) and you could somehow incorporate them somehow in a future version should there be one?
Sadly for me, I have never used Git for saving any project, I have only every used it to grab code to compile for my own use, so this is all very new to me. I would like to do things the right way and the best way so that everyone can enjoy this theme should they decide to use it.

I can write a clunky install process that would be very manual since I don't really know of a better way, and I don't yet have a way to test an install without risk of blowing up my current setup.  Again my intent is to do this the best way possible so that others can enjoy this theme, but since I am not a developer, I don't really know the best way to get things out there to where someone can just grab a released versioon and it will install properly.\\

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
John

João Cardoso

May 1, 2019, 9:54:49 PM5/1/19
to Alt-F

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 3:03:51 PM UTC+1, eutopian...@gmail.com wrote:
Joao,

When you say lisence which are you referring to?

Hope you are asking in good faith, although you could ask Google first :-)

Essentially its a two line commented wording in your code saying that you are the author, and under what conditions it can be used (like when you accept sites to use cookies). Like

# Copyright (c) 20xx, Your Name <your....@example.com>
# This file is covered by the XXX License, available at http://public.location

Some recommend explicitly refereinv the licence, such as
# XXX is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
# XXX is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
# along with xxx. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

If you say nothing, it will be considered to be in the Public Domain, although some say that such thing doesn't exists... its complicated and layer territory.
There are also some creative licences, such as  WTFPL "Do what the fu*** you want to Public License" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTFPL

Forgive my being nieve here, but this is the first time I have ever had the oppurtunity to write any code that could be considered as part of someone elses project or that of any project to be honest. So I am not sure which licensing I need to cover. My code would be considered under the GNU Open Source lisensing as I would want this to be open to anyone wanting to make their won changes should they choose.

There is GPLv2 (Alt-F, eg.) , GPLv3, and LGPL, AGPL... and... and...There are other more permisive licenses, such as the BSD or MIT. Some consider GPL to be a form of virus, as it requires that "derived work" be also under GPL.

João Cardoso

May 1, 2019, 10:10:07 PM5/1/19
to Alt-F

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 11:30:14 PM UTC+1, eutopian...@gmail.com wrote:
Question - Since I have made changes to the Help Files, as well as adding a new CSS file for the Help.html files, is there a way for me to include this in a zip that can be installed using the Theme intaller on the Utilitoes Page?

No. These are separeted questions.
YourTheme.zip will be extracted in the right place and is intended to be downloaded and used by users independently of my taste or will.

Proposals of changes to the base code must be submited as "diffs" to the original code and published either here or in the patches project section at sourceforge.

Or do I need to create a way to manually install them?

OR

Can I supply you

Not to me, post in the forum, or at sourceforge patches, so others can see and evaluate it. That's one of the meanings of "Open" in "Free and Open Source Software". Except when security issues or exploits are involved, private communications should be avoided.

with the files (I can check them into Git (if I can figure out how to do this since I have never done that before) and you could somehow incorporate them somehow in a future version should there be one?
Sadly for me, I have never used Git for saving any project, I have only every used it to grab code to compile for my own use, so this is all very new to me. I would like to do things the right way and the best way so that everyone can enjoy this theme should they decide to use it.

Just put it in a public place and publish the link and screenshots. Users will do the same that you did when you saw the other themes published in the forum.

João Cardoso

May 1, 2019, 10:47:50 PM5/1/19
to Alt-F

On Thursday, May 2, 2019 at 2:54:49 AM UTC+1, João Cardoso wrote:

[...]

It even has instructions on how to use it: http://www.wtfpl.net/faq/

As I'm or try to be a polite person, I will not use your work unless you allowed me to do so. That's the license purpose for me. For others it is a liability protection mechanism.

All the above is about licenses.There are also copyright (or anti-copyright) notices, whose purpose is to claim for author/ownership.

eutopian...@gmail.com

May 2, 2019, 2:26:06 AM5/2/19
to Alt-F
I think I might have things sort of under control. For sanity sake and to ensure that I can have all of the code that I wrote in a single place as well so that I can have versioning (until I full setup a dev environment on my Synology NAS, which I've install most of the pieces just need to finish the setup and testing) I have created a new project on GitLabs under my account which I left the project public. I started to write the license and Readme files when my Samsung Evo SSD completely cradhed right in the midfle of writing the files.

Luckily I thought well enough ahead and saved all the code and changes to my NAS, so I didn't lose any of the code changes just the Readme and in st ll I syructions which I will rewrite.

Based on the way Toast wrote write his Lisence witb the MIT Lisence I used the same giving him credit as the orig author and only the image that I added is the only file which I have required that that single image may be used but not edited or modified in any way but use got personal or commercial use is perfectly fine. The rest I have left under the MIT Lisence as was done with the original code.

So others can check out and use the theme to see if they like it I will also zip it up and either add it to this thread or I will create a new clean thread with the, zip (containing the .thm, new directory containing all the css, js files required for the theme. I will create a separate zip file containing the new css file and all the help.html files that have all been changed to use the new css to keep the styling in line.

I hope that this will be ok, again this is all very new for me, while writing code is not, I've only ever written code in a corporate environment which we had our own repository (rcs) so using Git and or source forage is extremely alien to me.

I definitely want to do things the right way and I'm sure I wdill mess 8t up somewhere and hopefully you guys will be gentle when yling me I'm an idiot with the way I've uploaded everything lol.

I appreciate your understanding and patience with me. It's a steep learning curve for me, but I'm doing the best I can to do it correctly.

Thanks.

John

eutopian...@gmail.com

May 2, 2019, 4:26:25 PM5/2/19
to Alt-F
I forgot to mention something vilally important, yes I was asking in Good Faith, and I did in fact Google first, however, as I had mentioned in my previous reply, I am not a developer, and while I have years of doing Windows Builds and working with code in my previous life, it was all done in a corporate environment, using their proprietary version of RCS, and had their own way of doing things. Working on a project such as this, is extremely new to me, and while I am very proud of the work that I did for this theme (I can only hope that others will enjoy it), and I am very excited to be able to contribute to this project, since this is the only way that I really can say Thank you for this project and for all the hard work you and the others whom have contributed, I am somewhat like a fish out of water and am literally floundering around and hoping that I do things the right way. I really have no idea what I am doing when it comes to making my project available to all (other then the ways that you suggested).

As I also mentioned, to try and be consistent I have uploaded my project to Git so that as I make changes I can keep track of the revisions, and my thinking was that this would be the best way for anyone who wanted to grab the files and eother install from the zip file, or just take the files and place them in manually.

I am trying to configure a dev environment on my Synology NAS so that I can have my own source control, as well, be able to test the installs in a VM so that I know that what I release will work and will not (should not) break anything. That said, I have done a lot of testing to ensure that this project will not break anything, but I am unable to test for any and all eventualities, and there fore, it is absolutel possible that there is an unforseen bug that could cause an issue.

I have tried to make it clear that I am releasing this "AS IS" and anyone who chooses to try out this theme, makes sure that they have created a FULL BACKUP of their data, and to ONLY install this theme using the Alt-F 1.0 Release as this has not been tested with any previous releases. As well, I am not to be held liable for any issues that may arise from the install of this theme, though I am pretty sure that there would be none, since the removal of this theme can be easily done which should return the theme back to the default themes.

I will publish the Zip file and the links to Git and Source Forage once they have been completed.

While I will be releasing this Modern Dark Theme with a couple of known bugs, these bugs are NOT functional bugs and are purely cosmetic. I have made absolutely sure to the best of my ability that there are no bugs in the functionality of the Alt-F Firmware. I have tested each and every function and they all work as designed by yourself and those who have contributed to the over all project.

I wanted to take the time once again to thank yoi for your assistance with this, and  your patience in helping me get through some of this and have a much better understadning of what I need to do.

I will update my Change Log and Readme to include the known issues, again purely cosmetic issues and maybe someone can help me fix them.

I wanted to take the time to reply again, as I had missed one of your replies on this thread, and wanted to be sure you knew that I read them and that I did try to do my homework using Google as my guide to the best of my ability, however, when you really have no clue what you are doing, Google isn't going to be much help especially if you do not know the right questions to ask :(

I hope that you and everyone else enjoys this theme, and I hope that I have done some good for this project and that you and others will enjoy the theme as much as I do.

Side Note: This theme was created mostly out of neccessity as I have a very hard time reading very bright pages, so I needed to create something that was easy for me to see.  The color choices may not be many peoples first choice, however, I own a very small home based business and the colors chosen are actually my Brands Colors. (By no means are there any restrictions for the use of the colors. The only copywritten file is the image / Logo which can be changed to what ever image anyone wants to use, or use the image as is, I just ask that it not be modified or edited (noted in the License file).

Sorry for rambling on here, but I just wanted to make sure I did not leave anything out. Dye to a SSD failure on my main computer, it may take me a couple days to get the zip file and the diles uploaded as I am trying to get a working PC back together, thankfully, I saved all of my work on the NAS prior to the crash so I did not lose anything, just a lot of time :(

Again, Thank you for your advice and assistance in understadning what I need to do and for your patience with me. If you notice anything that I have done wrong, please don't hesitate to make it cleaar ro me where I went wrong so that I can correct my mistakes.

Cheers!