Alt-F 0.1 RC4 - SMART Disk Monitoring Daemon fails to start

Jonathan Harm

Jul 18, 2014, 5:51:51 PM7/18/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I can't seem to get the SMART Disk Monitoring Daemon to load - when I attempt to start it manually from the web interface, I get an error that simply states "Starting smartd: Fail."

I tried a reinstall of the smartmontools package via SSH, logged in as root, via the command "ipkg -force-reinstall install smartmontools", to no avail.

I am running flashed on a DNS-323 rev B1. Please let me know the log files or any other information that may help in resolving this error. Thanks!

João Cardoso

Jul 18, 2014, 8:20:58 PM7/18/14

On Friday, July 18, 2014 10:51:51 PM UTC+1, Jonathan Harm wrote:
Hi! I can't seem to get the SMART Disk Monitoring Daemon to load

Did it ever worked? Any webUI configuration? Please give us some context.

- when I attempt to start it manually from the web interface, I get an error that simply states "Starting smartd: Fail."

I tried a reinstall of the smartmontools

smartmoontools is pre-installed in the firmware (flash-memory, not on disk), you only need to update (or reinstall) it when a new release is available.
Pre-installed packages appears with the "Remove" button grayed and disabled under Packages->Alt-F.

package via SSH, logged in as root, via the command "ipkg -force-reinstall install smartmontools", to no avail.

I am running flashed on a DNS-323 rev B1.

RC4? Recent upgrade form RC3? Fresh Alt-F install?

Please let me know the log files

'smartd' logs to the system log, use System->Utilities->View Logs, System Log, go to the page botton, enter smartd, hit the 'Refresh' button, use the 'Download' button (downloads all log, not only the filtered content), attach it

Jonathan Harm

Jul 18, 2014, 8:35:34 PM7/18/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Did it ever worked? Any webUI configuration? Please give us some context / RC4? Recent upgrade form RC3? Fresh Alt-F install?

Sorry, should have been a touch more specific! Yes, this is a recent upgrade from RC3, which was also flashed. SMART Monitoring worked fine before the upgrade.

'smartd' logs to the system log, use System->Utilities->View Logs, System Log, go to the page botton, enter smartd, hit the 'Refresh' button, use the 'Download' button (downloads all log, not only the filtered content), attach it

 Ok, here's the pertinent part of the log. This is repeated verbatim each time I tried to start the daemon. Oh, and hey - thanks for taking the time to look at this. I know you're busy and I really appreciate it!

Jul 18 03:30:52 Harmarium daemon.info smartd[696]: smartd 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [armv5tel-linux-3.10.32] (local build)
Jul 18 03:30:52 Harmarium daemon.info smartd[696]: Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
Jul 18 03:30:52 Harmarium daemon.info smartd[696]: Opened configuration file /etc/smartd.conf
Jul 18 03:30:52 Harmarium daemon.crit smartd[696]: File /etc/smartd.conf line 2 (drive DEVICESCAN): -s argument "(L/../../(|||||||7)/06|S/../../(|1|2|3|4|5|6|)/06)" is INVALID extended regular expression. Empty '|' subexpression.
Jul 18 03:30:52 Harmarium daemon.crit smartd[696]: Configuration file /etc/smartd.conf has fatal syntax errors.
Jul 18 03:30:52 Harmarium user.notice root: Starting smartd: Fail.

João Cardoso

Jul 19, 2014, 9:54:41 AM7/19/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, July 19, 2014 1:35:34 AM UTC+1, Jonathan Harm wrote:
[...]

ah, the smartd configuration file used for RC3 is not accepted by the smartd version shipped with RC4.

You only have to Configure smartd using its webUI and Submit. You don't need to change anything, as the webui reads the old conf and generates a correct new conf.

Jonathan Harm

Jul 20, 2014, 6:46:52 PM7/20/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
That did the trick! Thanks so much!