Strange time displayed in Setup->Time

scaramanga

Mar 17, 2013, 6:30:33 PM3/17/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Under Adjust time through internet, the time shown is:
Mon Mar 18 00:18:31 IST 2013

Although, currently, the date and time are March 18th, 00:18

TZ string on that page is:
IST-2DST,M3.5.5/2,M9.4.0/2
and the settings in the /etc files seems to be fine:
# cat /etc/TZ
IST
-2DST,M3.5.5/2,M9.4.0/2
# cat /etc/timezone
Asia/Tel_Aviv
#

In addition, under Services->Network
The ntp service is enabled and configured to run at 6 every day and "when starts" using the "europe.pool.ntp.org" pool.
# crontab -l | grep adjtime
0 6 * * * /usr/sbin/adjtime -adjust #!# Alt-F cron
# cat /etc/ntp.conf
fudge
127.127.1.0  stratum 10
driftfile
/etc/ntp.drift
pidfile
/var/run/ntpd.pid
server
127.127.1.0
server europe
.pool.ntp.org

The funny thing is, everywhere else date/time seems to be just fine for example (this was executed a few minutes later):
# date
Mon Mar 18 00:21:24 IST 2013
#
... so it's, probably, a little local bug limited in scope, not some system-wide issue. Still, was a bit confusing first when I saw it.

Joao Cardoso

Mar 17, 2013, 9:06:05 PM3/17/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:30:33 PM UTC, scaramanga wrote:
Under Adjust time through internet, the time shown is:
Mon Mar 18 00:18:31 IST 2013

Although, currently, the date and time are March 18th, 00:18

The funny thing is, everywhere else date/time seems to be just fine for example (this was executed a few minutes later):
# date
Mon Mar 18 00:21:24 IST 2013
#
... so it's, probably, a little local bug limited in scope, not some system-wide issue. Still, was a bit confusing first when I saw it.

I'm afraid I don't understand. Isn't the shown date/time correct?

What is shown in  "Adjust time through internet" is the current time as output from the 'date' command, so you can check not only the date and time, which might be correct, but also the current timezone (IST in your case) which might be incorrect when daylight saving apply.

Or are you complaining that what is shown is not a plain date/time?

scaramanga

Mar 18, 2013, 8:12:27 AM3/18/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
You see, that's why you should never get near a computer after midnight.