RAID5

gurgle

Dec 7, 2012, 10:38:50 PM12/7/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

Hey i've just picked one of these up from a friend, and i'm just setting it up now. I see that one of the options is RAID5. Can anyone give me a quick explanation of what that means in terms of hard drive setup and usable space? I understand that it needs an external HD plugged into the USB port, does this have to be the same size as the internal disks?

Thanks in advance

Joao Cardoso

Dec 7, 2012, 10:57:18 PM12/7/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, December 8, 2012 3:38:50 AM UTC, gurgle wrote:

Hey i've just picked one of these up from a friend, and i'm just setting it up now. I see that one of the options is RAID5. Can anyone give me a quick explanation of what that means in terms of hard drive setup and usable space?

For 3x2TB drives you get 4TB of disk space and redundancy if one of the drives fail.
Read one of the top-posted topics about disk layout/filesystem performance.

I understand that it needs an external HD plugged into the USB port, does this have to be the same size as the internal disks?

yes.

For a tutorial on RAID, start reading the Alt-F online RAID help, then Google.

Thanks in advance

gurgle

Dec 8, 2012, 8:15:12 AM12/8/12
to al...@googlegroups.com