Gone?

medoc

Mar 22, 2012, 9:02:16 AM3/22/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Today I suddenly noticed that the share is gone from my computer - NAS got disconnected.
I tried to access it via the web page, no success. I've checked the unit: power light on, network blinking, hdd leds off.

Hmm... I've restarted the unit, now only te power light is on, no HDD, nor network led activity. And also the unit is not accessible via the network in any way (web, ssh)
When I pushed and hold the power button the drive leds started to blink amber. First the right one blinked like 5 times, then the left one blinked like 5-7 times.

I removed the drives, everything is the same: no led acitvity, other then the power, when I push and hold, amber lights doing the morse.

Is my unit gone? Or is it any way to try to bring it back? E.g. restoring to (factory) default?

Any help would be nice.

Thanks,
medoc

jskier

Mar 22, 2012, 9:21:16 AM3/22/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Are you able to ping it at all? I know you can't access the web interface or services, but pinging would show if it's a device problem or possibly related to the network.

Tomi Szabo

Mar 22, 2012, 9:36:42 AM3/22/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Ping returns:
ping: sendto: Host is down
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Joao Cardoso

Mar 22, 2012, 11:04:35 AM3/22/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:02:16 PM UTC, medoc wrote:
Hi all,

Today I suddenly noticed that the share is gone from my computer - NAS got disconnected.
I tried to access it via the web page, no success. I've checked the unit: power light on, network blinking, hdd leds off.

Hmm... I've restarted the unit, now only te power light is on, no HDD, nor network led activity. And also the unit is not accessible via the network in any way (web, ssh)
When I pushed and hold the power button the drive leds started to blink amber. First the right one blinked like 5 times, then the left one blinked like 5-7 times.

So the box is fine, Alt-F is working, read the AboutLedsAndButtons wiki

BTW, how do you turn the box off? Pull the power cord?

I removed the drives, everything is the same: no led acitvity, other then the power, when I push and hold, amber lights doing the morse.

Is my unit gone? Or is it any way to try to bring it back? E.g. restoring to (factory) default?

Any help would be nice.

Does the box had a fixed or dynamic IP (DHCP)?
If dynamic, have you checked your router for DHCP client leases? As the network led blinks, it seems to indicate net activity, the IP might have changed
Have you/can you change the network cable?
What is your network IP?
Are you on windows or linux?
If on linux you can try a broadcast ping (ping -b xx.xx.xx.0) followed by a "arp -a" to see what devices as connected on the network.

Thanks,
medoc

Tomi Szabo

Mar 22, 2012, 11:25:48 AM3/22/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
> So the box is fine, Alt-F is working, read the AboutLedsAndButtons wiki

Done. I can see much clearer now, thanks:)

> BTW, how do you turn the box off? Pull the power cord?

First I was pushing the front button and released it. But after the disks were taken off, I just pulled the cord.

> Does the box had a fixed or dynamic IP (DHCP)?
> If dynamic, have you checked your router for DHCP client leases? As the network led blinks, it seems to indicate net activity, the IP might have changed
> Have you/can you change the network cable?

I've checked the cable. It was the problem :)

Thanks for the quick help! I was paniced by the amber lights... Didn't even knew about the leds wiki.

Thanks again,
medoc