Slow (!) Samba folder browsing

Charles Rose

Jun 13, 2013, 6:03:51 PM6/13/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Just got a DNS-323, flashed with Alt-F 0.1RC3, installed 2 3TB drives, made into a raid 1 setup, configured Samba.

I connected via Mac Mini, both wired to the router.  I copied about 700GB from the mini to the DNS-323 and getting reasonable speeds (12 MB/s).

After about 2 days of this, things have slowed to a crawl.  Copies aren't really working anymore and even scanning the directory with Finder is incredibly slow (took about 15 minutes to show the contents of a folder with about 100 entries).  If I switch to terminal and 'ls -la' on /Volumes/mountname/foldername it takes about a second to show each line in the listing.

Here's the output from top:

 And here's my current status:

I stopped and restarted smbd, which brought it down to about 10%.  Disconnected the share and reconnected and still the same behavior.

Here's the smbd log:

I tried installing the latest Samba package, however the result is the same...

If you need me to try something, please let me know and thanks so much for your work on this!!

Charles

João Cardoso

Jun 14, 2013, 10:04:04 AM6/14/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, June 13, 2013 11:03:51 PM UTC+1, Charles Rose wrote:
[...]

It has to do with your usage pattern. A continuous load on smbd without file access is not normal.

You can see what your client is using by running  the 'smbstatus' command on the box. It has a couple of options, see 'smbstatus --help'
If you prefer, you can use Swat (smb->Configure->Advanced, then hit the Status icon) instead.

Installing the samba package is not going to help.

If you need me to try something, please let me know and thanks so much for your work on this!!

If you discover something that could be interesting for others, please share.

Charles