E4DEFRAG

Eric Wick

Sep 24, 2012, 10:50:31 AM9/24/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
As i found out, with ubuntu 12.04 the user can do a e4defrag. While testing i see good benefits with bigger files like movies on the partition. The fragments were puzzled out and a copy of this file is even faster.
Will the services (DLNA, FTP) from alt-f benefit? Cause on the box we have large movie files and sometimes big backup archives. At the moment there is no e4defrag package for testing available. Can we place a e4defrag to the wishlist for next version?

Joao Cardoso

Sep 25, 2012, 1:25:47 PM9/25/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, September 24, 2012 3:50:31 PM UTC+1, Eric Wick wrote:
As i found out, with ubuntu 12.04 the user can do a e4defrag. While testing i see good benefits with bigger files like movies on the partition. The fragments were puzzled out and a copy of this file is even faster.
Will the services (DLNA, FTP) from alt-f benefit? Cause on the box we have large movie files and sometimes big backup archives. At the moment there is no e4defrag package for testing available. Can we place a e4defrag to the wishlist for next version?

As RC2 announcement says:  "e2fsprogs-1.42 just don't fit the available flash space.". And 'e4defrag' ships with e2fsprogs-1.42 only, so no luck.

You can try to use the 'chattr' command, search for reference to it in this forum, and see if it works for you.