Question regarding disk/raid checks

Marc Schubert

Aug 28, 2013, 7:23:07 PM8/28/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I currently have my box configured to perform the following checks:

-disks are SMART checked every 90 minutes
-disks are checked every 4 hours for defects
-Runs short drive test Monday to Saturday at 6:00 AM
-Runs long drive test Sunday at 6:00 AM
-RAID is checked every 30 minutes

Will this configuration create any conflicts? Example: services competing for disk access in order to perform their check/test? High disk access for an extended period of time causing poor performance?

Thank you.

João Cardoso

Aug 29, 2013, 11:04:04 AM8/29/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:23:07 AM UTC+1, Marc Schubert wrote:
Hi,

I currently have my box configured to perform the following checks:

-disks are SMART checked every 90 minutes
-disks are checked every 4 hours for defects
-Runs short drive test Monday to Saturday at 6:00 AM
-Runs long drive test Sunday at 6:00 AM
-RAID is checked every 30 minutes

Will this configuration create any conflicts?

No, SMART tests occurs internally into the disk drive. In theory they shouldn't affect performance, but that is theory.
And RAID checks (you mean Services->System->mdadm, right?) does not checks the disks themselves, only its current status.

I think that if your usage pattern is home-based, you don't need such tigh checks

Marc Schubert

Aug 29, 2013, 3:17:05 PM8/29/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
I'm running a business from home and keep a backup of all my important data on the NAS. So if I can, I'd like to have the drives/raid checked continuously so I always know my data is safe.