Memory usage

Stealth

Feb 24, 2013, 5:12:46 AM2/24/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

There is a way to know the memory usage with the web page  ? I saw load average, CPU, but nothing about memory, something like, swap usage, memory free ...
Thanks

Regards

Fred

scaramanga

Feb 24, 2013, 12:36:13 PM2/24/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
The swap page usage is displayed on the status page.
To the best of my knowledge, to get a sense of memory usage you need to goto System->Utilities and under View Log select Running Processes.
The first line contains the info you're after.

Joao Cardoso

Feb 24, 2013, 3:12:45 PM2/24/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:12:46 PM UTC+2, Stealth wrote:

Hello,

There is a way to know the memory usage with the web page

The web page only uses memory when it generates the page and process the request.
There is no web server continuously running.

The same happens for ftp/ssh/telnet,etc, all are handled by 'inetd', the small super server that is always running and only launches the needed server when a request arrives (and the launched server terminates as soon as the request finish).
This way memory is conserved.

As scaramanga wrote, use "top" to see the (virtual) memory consumption of each running process. If the %VSZ goes behind 100%, it means that the process is bigger than the available physical memory and swapping to disk is always happening while it runs.