Have DNS-323 on DLINK 1.09 and want to move to Alt-F so how can I do this

Philmiami Florida

Feb 9, 2014, 10:32:23 PM2/9/14

and NOT mess up my data that is on my drives.
I am on all APPLE iMac devices.
I am on OS X 10.7.5 and have the DNS-323 H/W B1 F/W Ver 1.09 on my gigabyte network.
I don't want to erase my data that I have mirrored on the drives now.
So can someone give me instructions that are laid out in a 1,2,3, kinda way and not so 'techy' leaning for windows machines?
Thanks
philmiami

João Cardoso

Feb 10, 2014, 10:37:19 AM2/10/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Just flash the Alt-F-0.1RC4 DNS-323.bin file using the box D-Link firmware upgrade page.
By default Alt-F will use what it finds on the disk *without* changing anything on them.

Be warned that a filesystem check will be started and might last for several hours; during that time you will not see your data. You can watch the fsck check evolution in the status page. *Don't* login until it finishes, as a first time wizard will automatically be started and the disk must be available at that time.

I also noticed that your RAID1 is in the degraded state (not providing redundancy) -- that might deploy a RAID resync, and that can take some 15 hours to accomplish -- but the data will be available meanwhile, although the box will be slower. You can also watch the resync evolution in the Status page.

Thanks
philmiami

Philmiami Florida

Feb 10, 2014, 10:45:59 AM2/10/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I did not even notice that it was in degraded mode, this might have been because it screwing around I clicked on enable UPnP AV service on the Dlink 1.09 webpage.
I could not UN-check it until it was thru, which took hours.

If I REMOVE one disk and then flash that Alt-F-0.1RC4 bin file will this:
1- Install the new firmware At-F ok?
2- When I put the hard drive back in re-sync it to the new Alt-F firmware without damaging the files structure/data that is on there now?

I have flashed new F/W on there before without removing the disks but that was form Dlink but now I am 15% cautious about doing new F/W that is not manufacturer stuff so I was thinking I should remove one drive.

Thoughts?

philmiami

João Cardoso

Feb 10, 2014, 11:52:34 AM2/10/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, February 10, 2014 3:45:59 PM UTC, Philmiami Florida wrote:
Thanks, I did not even notice that it was in degraded mode, this might have been because it screwing around I clicked on enable UPnP AV service on the Dlink 1.09 webpage.
I could not UN-check it until it was thru, which took hours.

If I REMOVE one disk and then flash that Alt-F-0.1RC4 bin file will this:
1- Install the new firmware At-F ok?

yes. It does not even need disks.
But don't run Alt-F "first login wizard" without any disk (you can do that, but then you must restart the wizard when you insert your disks -- the "first login wizard" is only intended to simplify first time setup, it is not mandatory)

2- When I put the hard drive back in re-sync it to the new Alt-F firmware

It depends. It might start automatically or you might have to re-add the disk partition  to the existing RAID array.
In any case, I use to advise users to add the "write intent bitmap" option to the RAID1 array, so that resync will be faster (in the future).

Remember that when you start Alt-F with a degraded RAID a fsck will be performed on that disk, and when you latter insert the second disk a long resync or rebuild will happens, because the two disks are now different.

without damaging the files structure/data that is on there now?

Alt-F don't change anything on your disks. But the filesystem check (fsck) and resync (mdadm) might.

I have flashed new F/W on there before without removing the disks but that was form Dlink but now I am 15% cautious about doing new F/W that is not manufacturer stuff so I was thinking I should remove one drive.

Then be sure you have both disks in the same state, i.,e., resync them before flashing Alt-F.

Philmiami Florida

Dec 11, 2014, 9:07:16 PM12/11/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
I did this.....
I am posting questions about can not see my drives/folders
I use OS X 10.7.5