Ideas for samba and nfs

Eric Wick

Jun 8, 2012, 3:38:44 PM6/8/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Two ideas for next release

- Samba should be totally switched off by config, if it's not needed we save memory

- NFS should forget unclear mounted clients, i have 6 months old shares in the status page that survive even reboots.

Bye
Eric

Joao Cardoso

Jun 9, 2012, 3:42:10 PM6/9/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, June 8, 2012 8:38:44 PM UTC+1, Eric Wick wrote:
Two ideas for next release

- Samba should be totally switched off by config, if it's not needed we save memory

I don't understand what do you mean. If you don't want samba, can't you just disable it?

- NFS should forget unclear mounted clients, i have 6 months old shares in the status page that survive even reboots.

Yes, that is an "issue" (a NFS feature, indeed).
I can provide a button to clear those stale entries in /var/lib/nfs/rmtab, if you fill-in an issue report http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/issues/list

Thanks

Bye
Eric

Eric Wick

Jun 10, 2012, 2:53:21 AM6/10/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
In my box the smbd and nmbd is always forced running after reboot, can someone else check this please? I have shutdown'd the processes now with init and placed a 'exit 0' in the initscript to solve this.

For nfs i file the report.

Bye
Eric

Joao Cardoso

Jun 10, 2012, 12:31:37 PM6/10/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, June 10, 2012 7:53:21 AM UTC+1, Eric Wick wrote:
In my box the smbd and nmbd is always forced running after reboot, can someone else check this please?

Ah, OK, you can't disable it. I will fix that.

Having it always enabled help users to "locate" the box when using MS-Windows, as the box appears in the MS-W network explorer.
And as a security measure some services can't be boot disabled.

Thanks