Bug in permissions inherit

755...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2016, 8:06:00 AM9/22/16
to Alt-F

Good day! Who knows this bug?

NAS D-Link  DNS-323-C1
ALT-F 0.1 RC5
Working in mirror mode, ext4, Netatalk + Avahi

1) Setup-Folders -> /mnt/md0/test -> Create folder
2) Entering TEST folder -> Permissions -> setting rwxrwx--- and checking Inherit
3) entering TEST folder from network DNS323 on my Mac (Finder) and creating new folder in TEST
4) checking in web-interface setup-folders for new folder permissions, it is rwxr-sr-x

Why?!?

I've tried to disable Netatalk and enable SMB - the same result :(
Upload ALT-F 0.1RC4.1 (not flash - only upload and test) - the same :(

João Cardoso

Sep 22, 2016, 11:47:07 AM9/22/16
to Alt-F

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 13:06:00 UTC+1, 7552230 wrote:

Good day! Who knows this bug?

NAS D-Link  DNS-323-C1
ALT-F 0.1 RC5
Working in mirror mode, ext4, Netatalk + Avahi

1) Setup-Folders -> /mnt/md0/test -> Create folder
2) Entering TEST folder -> Permissions -> setting rwxrwx--- and checking Inherit

As is says,  that "Make new files/folders inherit the group ownership"

3) entering TEST folder from network DNS323 on my Mac (Finder) and creating new folder in TEST

Using Samba or AFP? OK, you tried both.

4) checking in web-interface setup-folders for new folder permissions, it is rwxr-sr-x

Why?!?

That is Samba/netatalk(AFP) working, not Alt-F.
If you create new files or folder within the Test folder from the command line or through the webUI, I'm pretty confident that it works OK.

755...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2016, 3:02:55 PM9/22/16
to Alt-F
Ok, now I've tried to create subfolder of TEST using web interface of ALT-F, it is looks like /mnt/md0/test/folderUIcreated and pressing create... It gives me the subfolder with  rwxr-sr-x !!! How can I trace this process to find and fix this bug?

755...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2016, 7:36:25 AM9/23/16
to Alt-F
I've tried to format flash and renew all users/groups/permissions - the same result. All possible users/groups combinations not gives correct permissions in user created subfolders - user have W and group have not :( So other users in group have not write possibilities in this folders/files. May be it ext4 bug?

Joao Cardoso

Sep 23, 2016, 9:52:06 PM9/23/16
to Alt-F Group

On Sep 23, 2016 12:36 PM, <755...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've tried to format flash and renew all users/groups/permissions - the same result. All possible users/groups combinations not gives correct permissions

We are talking of ownership, not permissions.
Try changing the Test Folder so it belongs to valid user and group and try again.
Permissions are set by user umask

755...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2016, 4:53:11 PM9/24/16
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, I think changing umask to 0002 will solve my problem? Can you help me to find the right place in which I can change it? I mean the right place for ALL users in system or for NETATALK users - dont know how this system works inside :( -  excuse me, I am not NIX programmer...

João Cardoso

Sep 25, 2016, 2:46:47 PM9/25/16
to Alt-F

On Saturday, 24 September 2016 21:53:11 UTC+1, 7552230 wrote:
Thank you, I think changing umask to 0002 will solve my problem? Can you help me to find the right place in which I can change it? I mean the right place for ALL users in system or for NETATALK users

'umask' is a "shell" thing, if will only affect users that set it and login the box and use the command line.
There is a global file, /etc/profile, that sets the global umask for all users, but that might not affect how servers (AFP/FTP/Samba/...) work. Often they read it from its settings file and might not respect what the environment (/etc/profile) says. E.g., netatalk (AFP) uses /etc/afp.conf and a "umask" directive, Samba (SMB/CIFS) uses its own /etc/samba/smb.conf file and directives, "create mask" is one of them, "directory mask" another (there are 435 configurable options...) for ftp it depends on the server used, vsftpd uses "local_umask" among others,...

So, I could ask why don't the default values work for you, as they have sensible values for the general usage.
Probably you are taking the wrong approach for your setup, but each use case is unique.

Welcome the unlimited possibilities that linux opens and where nobody forces you to do what to do.