hi everyone! absolute beginner's troubles :-)

enrico simonetti

May 10, 2024, 3:35:45 AMMay 10
to Alt-F
Hi everyone!
First of all: thanks to João and all developers for your life saving project!!!
I read about you on a Ubuntu forum and I can't believe my eyes!!!
A new life for my DNS-320L (rev.A3), turned off for years!!! just as I was looking for a new nas to buy!!!!
I always used my 320L only for backup and save my files (photos, videos and little more), no multimedia, no skilled usage.
I immediately  downloaded and installed Alt-F and.... I don't know how to go on now...
I read wiki, faqs, conversations, and I look (unsuccessfully) for a "how-to (desperate) absolute beginner's guide" (maybe I did it in the wrong way, with the wrong key words...)
I have Ubuntu 20.04 on my pc, but I'm not skilled with networking, samba, filesystems and so on....
I understand that Alt-F is an unbelievable powerful tool, but I don't know what I have to do... I'm so sorry and frustrated...
Is (or was) anyone else in my situation? what do (did) you do to get out of trouble?
Thank you so much for your work patience and time! So precious!!!!

Have a wonderful day!
E.

Fred Toop

May 31, 2024, 6:44:55 PMMay 31
to Alt-F
You need to go to Packages > Altf first.  Fine the wsdd2 and avahi packages and install them.
Now go to Services > Network.  Check the avhi_daemon and wsdd "boot enabled"  check boxes.

While you are there find smb  and click configure.  Turn off smb1 as ubuntu won't use it anyway.