Adding 2nd Drive to DNS-323

Ramesh

Apr 13, 2011, 1:04:23 PM4/13/11
to Alt-F
Joao,

I want to add a 2nd Drive to my DNS-323. I had my 1st drive in the
left bay and if I add the 2nd one in the right bay will ALT-F see it
and formats it correctly? The reason why I'm asking is, I read some
messages in the forum about the stock firmware formatting the wrong
drive.

This new drive is going to be my back up for the first one. I also
have a usb drive to back up the first drive. Just trying to be extra
cautious. I already have a backup scheduled to my usb drive and how
do I setup another one to the 2nd drive. Do I have to do it
manually? Both these drives are samsung F4 2 TB drives. I don't want
to setup any RAID but just a backup service that make a copy of the
whole drive.

Thanks in advance,
Ramesh.

Joao Cardoso

Apr 14, 2011, 4:16:15 PM4/14/11
to al...@googlegroups.com
> Want to add a  2nd Drive to my DNS-323. I had my 1st drive in the eft bay and if I add the 2nd one in the right bay will ALT-F see it and formats it correctly?

Not automatically. Disk->partitioner, upper section select disk, then lowe section uncheck all keep, create one swap partition, 500MB is fine, then one or more linux partitions, then Partition. Then Filesystem web page, format filesystem where FS is none.

If you have Alt-F flashed you can remove disk, to not make a mistake. As all your disks are same brand and model they might be undistinguible from Alf-F web pages. I think that file /etc/bay stores the disk serial number.

> he reason why I'm asking is, I read some messages in the forum about the stock firmware formatting the wrong drive This new drive is going to be my back up for the first one.  I also have a usb drive to back up the first drive. Just trying to be extra cautious.

Probably the usb disk was sdb. Now, with a second internal disk, usb will most likely be sdc. Double check.

> I already have a backup scheduled to my usb drive and how do I setup another one to the 2nd drive.  Do I have to do it manually?  Both these drives are samsung F4 2 TB drives.  I don't want to setup any RAID but just a backup service that make a copy of the whole drive Thanks in advance

The Backup web page only do backup for a main directory, setup the first time you used Backup. You will have to manually set a cronjob to do the backup.

Sorry for typing errors.

Ramesh

Apr 15, 2011, 10:15:35 AM4/15/11
to Alt-F
Thank you for the reply Joao!

I tried to partition and for some reason it's only taking 1024GB for
the linux partition. This is what I did..

sda1 .5GB swap partition
sda2 1999.5 linux partion
sda3 0 empty
sda4 0 empty

With the above info I clicked partition button.
After the partition is complete the page was refreshed and I see only
1024 GB allocated to sda2 and I have roughly around 900 GB free space.
I did it twice and the same result. Is there any thing I need to do
differently?

For the existing disk this is what I have. This was done with the
stock firmware when I bought dns-323

sdb1 0.546 GB swap
sdb2 1999.326 GB linux
sdb2 0 empty
sdb4 0.543 GB linux.

Thanks in advance.
Ramesh.

Joao Cardoso

Apr 15, 2011, 4:09:46 PM4/15/11
to al...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, April 15, 2011, Ramesh <ramesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the reply Joao!
>
> I tried to partition and for some reason it's only taking 1024GB for
> the linux partition. This is what I did..
>
> sda1 .5GB     swap partition
> sda2 1999.5   linux partion
> sda3  0         empty
> sda4  0         empty
>
> With the above info I clicked partition button.
> After the partition is  complete the page was refreshed and I see only
> 1024 GB allocated to sda2 and I have roughly around 900 GB free space.

Damned... the problem is that I dont have 2TB disk to test with... you
are now in unknown land.

If your two disks are same maker and brand, i.e. same size (same size
from diff. Models can have slighly diffrent number of sectors, even if
advertised as sime size) you can copy the part. Table from the
original disk to the new disk. Partitioner, top section, select old
disc, CopyTo new disk. No warranty, as dl part table is ODD, to be
kind.

After Partition finish, verify that the free space is not negative.

> I did it twice and the same result.   Is there any thing I need to do
> differently?
>
> For the existing disk this is what I have. This was done with the
> stock firmware when I bought dns-323
>
> sdb1  0.546 GB      swap
> sdb2  1999.326 GB linux
> sdb2   0                 empty
> sdb4   0.543 GB     linux.
>

> Thanks in advance.
> Ramesh.
>

> On Apr 14, 1:16 pm, Joao Cardoso <whoami.jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Want to add a  2nd Drive to my DNS-323. I had my 1st drive in the eft bay and if I add the 2nd one in the right bay will ALT-F see it and formats it correctly?
>>
>> Not automatically. Disk->partitioner, upper section select disk, then lowe section  uncheck all keep, create one swap partition, 500MB is fine, then one or more linux partitions, then Partition. Then Filesystem web page, format filesystem where FS is none.
>>
>> If you have Alt-F flashed you can remove disk, to not make a mistake. As all your disks are same brand and model they might be undistinguible from Alf-F web pages. I think that file /etc/bay stores the disk serial number.
>>
>> > he reason why I'm asking is, I read some messages in the forum about the stock firmware formatting the wrong drive This new drive is going to be my back up for the first one.  I also have a usb drive to back up the first drive. Just trying to be extra cautious.
>>
>> Probably the usb disk was sdb. Now, with a second internal disk, usb will most likely be sdc. Double check.
>>
>> > I already have a backup scheduled to my usb drive and how do I setup another one to the 2nd drive.  Do I have to do it manually?  Both these drives are samsung F4 2 TB drives.  I don't want to setup any RAID but just a backup service that make a copy of the whole drive Thanks in advance
>>
>> The Backup web page only do backup for a main directory, setup the first time you used Backup. You will have to manually set a cronjob to do the backup.
>>
>> Sorry for typing errors.

Sam Cole

Apr 15, 2011, 4:21:02 PM4/15/11
to al...@googlegroups.com
I am running Alt-F with two 2TB drives (Joao: so I can confirm it
works with Alt-F). I let the DNS-323 firmware partition them, though.

Joao Cardoso

Apr 15, 2011, 8:05:51 PM4/15/11
to Alt-F

On Apr 15, 9:09 pm, Joao Cardoso <whoami.jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, April 15, 2011, Ramesh <rameshmant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thank you for the reply Joao!
>
> > I tried to partition and for some reason it's only taking 1024GB for
> > the linux partition. This is what I did..
>
> > sda1 .5GB     swap partition
> > sda2 1999.5   linux partion
> > sda3  0         empty
> > sda4  0         empty
>
> > With the above info I clicked partition button.
> > After the partition is  complete the page was refreshed and I see only
> > 1024 GB allocated to sda2 and I have roughly around 900 GB free space.
>
> Damned... the problem is that I dont have 2TB disk to test with... you
> are now in unknown land.

Could you ( or someone with 2TB disks) please ssh/telnet the box and
post the output of the following command:

sfdisk -l -uS

This is for future reference

PS-if someone with a 4k sectors disk ( Advanced Format) could also
post the command output would be usefull to know if they report in 512
bytes or 4k sectors.

I have the feeling that someone has reported success with such disks,
thus I have advertise Alt-F Partitioner/Wizard as 4k/2TB capable...

bobcote

Apr 15, 2011, 11:44:05 PM4/15/11
to Alt-F
On Apr 15, 8:05 pm, Joao Cardoso <whoami.jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PS-if someone with a 4k sectors disk ( Advanced Format) could also
> post the command output would be usefull to know if they report in 512
> bytes or 4k sectors.

Here is the output from my new 2 TB Western Digital advanced format
WD20EARS
It has been formatted in Alt-F.

Disk /dev/sdb: 243201 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #sectors Id System
/dev/sdb1 64 1060607 1060544 82 Linux swap
/dev/sdb2 1060608 1952492247 1951431640 da Non-FS data
/dev/sdb3 1952492248 3907024063 1954531816 83 Linux
/dev/sdb4 0 - 0 0 Empty

sdb2 is a raid partition of approximately 1TB to fit my other existing
1 TB disk in right bay. Except of my weird problem I reported that my
raid1 array with sdb2 could not mount, things seems to work fine.

Ramesh

Apr 16, 2011, 1:40:38 PM4/16/11
to Alt-F
Here is the ouput from the above command. sda is my new drive and sdb
is the existing drive. I was trying to partition sda (right side
drive).

# sfdisk -l -uS

Disk /dev/sda: 243201 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #sectors Id System
/dev/sda1 64 976623 976560 82 Linux swap
/dev/sda2 976624 2148460263 2147483640 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 0 - 0 0 Empty
/dev/sda4 0 - 0 0 Empty

Disk /dev/sdb: 243201 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #sectors Id System
/dev/sdb1 63 1060289 1060227 82 Linux swap
/dev/sdb2 2088450 3907024064 3904935615 83 Linux
/dev/sdb3 0 - 0 0 Empty
/dev/sdb4 1060290 2088449 1028160 83 Linux

Ramesh

Apr 16, 2011, 1:46:47 PM4/16/11
to Alt-F
Here is the output from df -h command.

# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 30.4M 7.5M 22.9M 25% /rootmnt
aufs 1.8T 797.2G 1.0T 43% /
/dev/loop0 5.5M 5.5M 0 100% /rootmnt/
rootsq
tmpfs 64.0M 960.0K 63.1M 1% /tmp
/dev/sdb2 1.8T 797.2G 1.0T 43% /mnt/disk1
/dev/sdb4 486.2M 2.4M 483.8M 0% /mnt/sdb4
/dev/sda2 1007.9G 199.3M 956.5G 0% /mnt/sda2

Joao Cardoso

Apr 16, 2011, 7:48:07 PM4/16/11
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

I think that I have enough info to fix the issue "can't create partition bigger than 1TB".
I will take care of it as soon as I return home.

Ramesh, have you tried to copy the partition table from your old disk to the new disk? Both disks are identical, there should be no problem.

Ramesh

Apr 17, 2011, 2:53:36 PM4/17/11
to Alt-F

Yes. It worked. Here the output for the command sfdisk -l -uS

# sfdisk -l -uS

Disk /dev/sda: 243201 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #sectors Id System
/dev/sda1 63 1060289 1060227 82 Linux swap
/dev/sda2 2088450 3907024064 3904935615 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 0 - 0 0 Empty
/dev/sda4 1060290 2088449 1028160 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 243201 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #sectors Id System
/dev/sdb1 63 1060289 1060227 82 Linux swap
/dev/sdb2 2088450 3907024064 3904935615 83 Linux
/dev/sdb3 0 - 0 0 Empty
/dev/sdb4 1060290 2088449 1028160 83 Linux

# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 30.4M 7.5M 22.8M 25% /rootmnt
aufs 1.8T 797.2G 1.0T 43% /
/dev/loop0 5.5M 5.5M 0 100% /rootmnt/
rootsq
tmpfs 64.0M 1.2M 62.8M 2% /tmp
/dev/sdb2 1.8T 797.2G 1.0T 43% /mnt/disk1
/dev/sdb4 486.2M 2.4M 483.8M 0% /mnt/sdb4
/dev/sda1 509.5M 408.0K 483.2M 0% /mnt/sda1
/dev/sda4 486.2M 2.3M 458.8M 0% /mnt/sda4
/dev/sda2 1.8T 195.3M 1.7T 0% /mnt/disk2

Why is sda1 which is a linux swap partition appearing in the mounted
files system on the status page as well as the files systems
maintenance page where as sdb1 which is also a linux swap does not?

Joao Cardoso

Apr 17, 2011, 3:10:21 PM4/17/11
to al...@googlegroups.com
Because copying the Part. Table does not creates the swap "filesystem".
-Either create it by hand using 'mkswap'
-or uncheck the Keep chkbt in Partitioner and Partition it. Only the uncheck part. should be affected, but because of the bug do it only if you dont have data on the disk.

Ramesh

Apr 17, 2011, 7:41:00 PM4/17/11
to Alt-F
But if you look at the output for fsdisk above you see /dev/sda1 is
marked as Linux swap, is it not really marked as swap partition? If I
want the use the command do I need to use all these following
commands..

# mkswap /dev/sda1

# swapon /dev/sda1

and add this entry to fstab file ../dev/sda1 swap swap defaults 0 0

I found this online and just trying to confirm with you.

Thanks in advance,
Ramesh.

Joao Cardoso

Apr 17, 2011, 9:05:56 PM4/17/11
to al...@googlegroups.com

You only need the mkswap part. If we where on ms-w I would say "and reboot". To avoid that you can execute the other commands.
When a disk/pen is inserted, its part. table is scanned, signatures searched in each part. and the appropriate action taken.
A part. table only says what the part. is intended to, nothing more.
It is thus possible to have several OS and filesystems on the disk IF the OS respects the convention.
It is possible to have a part of type linux and put there a NTFS filesystem.

On Apr 18, 2011 12:41 AM, "Ramesh" <ramesh...@gmail.com> wrote:

But if you look at the output for fsdisk above you see /dev/sda1 is
marked as Linux swap, is it not really marked as swap partition? If I
want the use the command do I need to use all these following
commands..

# mkswap /dev/sda1

# swapon /dev/sda1

and add this entry to fstab file ../dev/sda1 swap swap defaults 0 0

I found this online and just trying to confirm with you.

Thanks in advance,
Ramesh.

On Apr 17, 12:10 pm, Joao Cardoso <whoami.jc...@gmail.com> wrote: > Because copying the Part. Table...

X Digital

Oct 8, 2011, 11:44:47 PM10/8/11
to al...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I got the same problem when tried to partition 2TB HDD too.

But I managed to partition using console (via telnet)
1. Partition it using fdisk (I googled "fdisk linux" for manual)
2. Used mkswap and swapon as your instruction
3. Rebooted and went to "Filesystems" to Format the new partition.

nosmoking

Oct 19, 2011, 10:39:38 AM10/19/11
to Alt-F

On Friday, April 15, 2011, Ramesh <rameshmant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the reply Joao!
>
> I tried to partition and for some reason it's only taking 1024GB for
> the linux partition. This is what I did..

Hi all,

I have the same problem like Ramesh. I flashed 0.1RC1 three days ago,
and
I installed two brand new WD15EARS disk. As I am not professional in
Linux I used the wizard preparing RAID1 with Ext4 filesystem. At the
end I have got a near 1TB RAID1. I tried to build an other RAID1 by
remainded space, but I was not succes. Well, what can I do?! Please
help!

Joao Cardoso

Oct 19, 2011, 11:46:16 AM10/19/11
to Alt-F

On Oct 19, 3:39 pm, nosmoking <bela.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, April 15, 2011, Ramesh <rameshmant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thank you for the reply Joao!
>
> > I tried to partition and for some reason it's only taking 1024GB for
> > the linux partition. This is what I did..
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have the same problem like Ramesh. I flashed 0.1RC1 three days ago,
> and
> I installed two brand new WD15EARS disk. As I am not professional in
> Linux I used the wizard preparing RAID1 with Ext4 filesystem. At the
> end I have got a near 1TB RAID1.

What does Disk Partitioner says, for each disk, that is the size and
type of each partition? And about the free space?

Can you please use the Disk Wizard to create "One big filesystem per
disk", the default, and see if the full disk is used?

Thanks

> I tried to build an other RAID1 by
> remainded space,

What have you done exactly?

Bodó Béla

Oct 19, 2011, 1:04:50 PM10/19/11
to al...@googlegroups.com
> What does Disk Partitioner says, for each disk, that is the size and
> type of each partition? And about the free space?
At the very beginning (first) I had used the wizard because of the fast
solution. I observed immediately the 1TB RAID1. Next I erased sda and
sdb and made a 1GB swap and a 10GB RAID partition, format Ext4 on sda
and sdb (1st and 2nd partitions), then built the RAID. So I made it by
hand and it worked. After this test I tried the Wizard again, but no
success at all. Disk Partitioner did not say anything.

> I tried to build an other RAID1 by
> remainded space,
> What have you done exactly?

Next I prepared the space remaind (about 400GB) for a RAID partition an
sda and sdb, but the Format changed the RAID type to Linux. I made the
RAID partiton again, I could build the RAID, but after the synch did not
mounted.

> Can you please use the Disk Wizard to create "One big filesystem per
> disk", the default, and see if the full disk is used?

Sure, I will do it.

nosmoking

Joao Cardoso

Oct 19, 2011, 1:28:59 PM10/19/11
to al...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, October 19, 2011 18:04:50 Bodó Béla wrote:
> > What does Disk Partitioner says, for each disk, that is the size and
> > type of each partition? And about the free space?
>
> At the very beginning (first) I had used the wizard because of the fast
> solution. I observed immediately the 1TB RAID1. Next I erased sda and
> sdb and made a 1GB swap and a 10GB RAID partition, format Ext4 on sda
> and sdb (1st and 2nd partitions), then built the RAID.

No, you have not read the instructions. You have to create th RAID *before*
putting a filesystem on it.A RAID is like a partition, is a *device*; devices
need a filesystem on them to handle your data.

Steps:
1-create partitions, first must be of type swap, will not contail data.
2-create raid
3-create filesystem

> So I made it by
> hand and it worked.

It only happened that the filesystems that you had previously created
survived. But if you had put different files on each of the filesystems you
created on sda and sdb, what would be the outcome?

> After this test I tried the Wizard again, but no
> success at all.
> Disk Partitioner did not say anything.

It shows, for each disk, the partitions it has, its size and type, and the
disk free partition space. That was what I was asking for.

Bodó Béla

Oct 19, 2011, 1:44:45 PM10/19/11
to al...@googlegroups.com
2011.10.19. 19:28 keltez�ssel, Joao Cardoso �rta:
No, you have not read the instructions. You have to create th RAID *before* ...
Oh my God - you must be right.

nosmoking

Bodó Béla

Oct 19, 2011, 7:26:09 PM10/19/11
to al...@googlegroups.com
I successfully prepared the RAID1 array. Thanks for your help!

nosmoking