Christopher Turriff-Olsen

Jan 14, 2015, 6:41:32 PM1/14/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
I've been trying to figure out how to install packages onto Alt-F, specifically a media server like miniDLNA and a bittorrent client. I have no idea how to do so, nor any information on how to do so. I installed ffp 0.7, but neither show up in available packages. I think there is some code I have to enter in a command line, but I can't find one in Alt-F. If anyone can do a tutorial on how to install this I would appreciate it. Specifically, everything a person new to Linux has to do from taking a fresh Alt-F install on a DNS 323 to getting miniDLNA and transmission or similar going. Thanks!

Christopher Turriff-Olsen

Jan 14, 2015, 7:21:42 PM1/14/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
I fell back to ffp 0.5, and mediatomb was available. However, I still can't get it to start. I go into services -> User -> ffp -> configure, enabled mediatomb, but it doesn't show as running.

noneofmyseeds

Jan 15, 2015, 5:16:01 AM1/15/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
It's very simple, Christopher. It may take a few minutes to figure it out, but once you've done so, it's easy.

For example, to install miniDLNA, go to the Packages tab and then select Alt-F. You will see the header:
"Installed/Pre-installed Packages"

Browse to the bottom and you will see the header:
"Available Packages"

Here you will find miniDLNA. And you will click the "install" button.

After this, go to the top of the page and click on the "Services" tab and then "User" Here you will find "minidlna"

Click "configure" and this leads you to a pop-up box that you can use to browse for your music file, etc. Once you're done, come back and click "StartNow" and then, if you wish for the service to start when you reboot the box, check the box next to "StartNow." And now you can use your program of choice that works on your particular operating system on your laptop, desktop, or other devices to enjoy your music.

Most installed services can be found under Services>User, Services>Network (for example, to configure your network shares using SAMBA.

And maybe you can write the guide you speak off, once you have your handle on things.

Goodluck!

Christopher Turriff-Olsen

Jan 15, 2015, 9:29:36 PM1/15/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
The trick is that miniDLNA doesn't show under available or installed. I'm going to packages->ffp. PACKAGES->altF only appears to be to update altF

Christopher Turriff-Olsen

Jan 15, 2015, 9:40:30 PM1/15/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I see it now. I have to install the ipkg first.