0.1RC4: Disks section disk information not showing.

Kevin Roberts

Jul 1, 2014, 10:48:21 AM7/1/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

Greetings!

RE: 0.1RC4, Disks information on the status and utilities pages missing

The information about my hard drives in the Disks section of the Status page and on the Disks/Utilities page is missing. The information did show under RC3. Both drives are 3TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300.

On the Disks/Utilities page I can execute the Show Status without issue in spite of the missing information so seems to be functionally okay.

João Cardoso

Jul 1, 2014, 1:09:51 PM7/1/14

On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 3:48:21 PM UTC+1, Kevin Roberts wrote:

Greetings!

RE: 0.1RC4, Disks information on the status and utilities pages missing

The information about my hard drives in the Disks section of the Status page and on the Disks/Utilities page is missing. The information did show under RC3. Both drives are 3TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300.

The disks are recognized and filesystems mounted, probably it was a boot "glitch".

What does 'cat /etc/bay' says? The file is generated when disks are detected, either at boot time or at hot-plug time.

Try inserting a USB pen or disk and see if its info appears in the webUI (don't forget to unmount the  filesystems before unplugging the pen -- Disk->Utilities->eject does that, as well as a one to seconds press on the back recessed reset button).

On the Disks/Utilities page I can execute the Show Status without issue in spite of the missing information so seems to be functionally okay.

BTW, most of your posts appear as SCAM in the moderator list, perhaps because of some form of '@' symbol appearing

Kevin Roberts

Jul 2, 2014, 10:23:43 AM7/2/14
Greetings!

I'll hold off on this issue until the AVAHI issue is resolved in my other thread. I rebooted and tried two flash drives with varying result (the first showed load not eject on the Utilities page). Rebooting didn't help. But, hold off on this and I'll re-visit the issue after the other problem is resolved.

Regarding the SCAM messages. I tried to post in the forum about 5 times and the message just never showed up. There were no errors reported or any other problem. Once I noticed a message near the bottom of the page saying something like "message deleted". If you looked at the messages, I'm sure you can see that they were legitimate. I finally was able to post via email reply. I have no idea why the messages posted in the forum *with exactly the same text as the email message that was accepted* would be rejected that way. I hope you can enlighten me so I can avoid the problem.

João Cardoso

Jul 2, 2014, 5:18:29 PM7/2/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 3:23:43 PM UTC+1, Kevin Roberts wrote:
Greetings!

I'll hold off on this issue until the AVAHI issue is resolved in my other thread. I rebooted and tried two flash drives with varying result (the first showed load not eject on the Utilities page). Rebooting didn't help. But, hold off on this and I'll re-visit the issue after the other problem is resolved.

Separated issues, not related.

try avoiding the xx@yy in the posts?

RE: 0.1RC4, Disks information on the status and utilities pages missing

The information about my hard drives in the Disks section of the Status page and on the Disks/Utilities page is missing. The information did show under RC3. Both drives are 3TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300.

The disks are recognized and filesystems mounted, probably it was a boot "glitch".

What does 'cat /etc/bay' says? The file is generated when disks are detected, either at boot time or at hot-plug time.

Please check if you have a /Alt-F/etc/bay file. If you have, you shouldn't, and it *might* be the issue source.
When a disk is detected, /etc/bay is written by the hotplug script; thereafter it is consulted by other scripts. If an /Alt-F/etc/bay file exists it will shadow the original one.

I noticed that you have defined filesystems named VOLUME_1/2, probably for compatibility with D-Link fw. if you have defined Samba shares for those whole filesystems, then the Alt-F folder will appear and could be manipulated by other computer/users. That is *NOT* desirable, read the README.txt at that folder.

Read the How to Customize the Firmware wiki. Not an easy reading, I admit :-)

Kevin Roberts

Jul 8, 2014, 11:06:42 AM7/8/14
What does 'cat /etc/bay' says? The file is generated when disks are detected, either at boot time or at hot-plug time.

login as: root
root-192.168.1.109's password:
COLUMNS=80;LINES=24;export COLUMNS LINES;
[root@DNS-323]# cat /etc/bay

[root@DNS-323]#

Not there or empty?

Please check if you have a /Alt-F/etc/bay file. If you have, you shouldn't, and it *might* be the issue source.
When a disk is detected, /etc/bay is written by the hotplug script; thereafter it is consulted by other scripts. If an /Alt-F/etc/bay file exists it will shadow the original one.

 I don't see this file there.

I noticed that you have defined filesystems named VOLUME_1/2, probably for compatibility with D-Link fw. if you have defined Samba shares for those whole filesystems, then the Alt-F folder will appear and could be manipulated by other computer/users. That is *NOT* desirable, read the README.txt at that folder.

We talked about this previously and the Volume_X shares were disabled and aren't used any longer.

Try inserting a USB pen or disk and see if its info appears in the webUI (don't forget to unmount the  filesystems before unplugging the pen -- Disk->Utilities->eject does that, as well as a one to seconds press on the back recessed reset button).

Seems to be detected and identified:

João Cardoso

Jul 8, 2014, 6:30:20 PM7/8/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 4:06:42 PM UTC+1, Kevin Roberts wrote:
What does 'cat /etc/bay' says? The file is generated when disks are detected, either at boot time or at hot-plug time.

login as: root
root-192.168.1.109's password:
COLUMNS=80;LINES=24;export COLUMNS LINES;
[root@DNS-323]# cat /etc/bay

[root@DNS-323]#

Not there or empty?

Empty.
if you do 'cat /foobar' it will display "cat: can't open '/foobar': No such file or directory"

[...]

And the output of 'cat /etc/bay' after the plugging, isn't empty anymore, isn't it?
And after the plugging, does /Alt-F/etc/bay exists?
What is the output of 'ls -la /Alt-F/.wh*' and 'ls -la /rootmnt/rw/.wh.*'
And the content of '/var/log/hot.log' (you can use System->Utilities->Logs)
What is the output of 'smartctl -i /dev/sda' and 'smartctl -i /dev/sdb'?

/etc/bay is created early at boot and filled with the disk maker/model when any disk is detected.
The only hypothesis I put was that a stray /Alt-F/etc/bay to shadow the original one ( the one written when disks were early detected -- they were, filesystems are mounted)

puzzled...

Kevin Roberts

Jul 9, 2014, 11:38:07 AM7/9/14
Here's the information requested.

And the output of 'cat /etc/bay' after the plugging, isn't empty anymore, isn't it?
And after the plugging, does /Alt-F/etc/bay exists?
What is the output of 'ls -la /Alt-F/.wh*' and 'ls -la /rootmnt/rw/.wh.*'
What is the output of 'smartctl -i /dev/sda' and 'smartctl -i /dev/sdb'?

Answers below:
login as: root
root-192.168.1.109's password:
COLUMNS=80;LINES=24;export COLUMNS LINES;
[root@DNS-323]# cat /etc/bay

[root@DNS-323]# cd /mnt/Volume_2/Alt-F/etc
[root@DNS-323]# ls
avahi              iet                mpd.conf           ssl
blkid.tab          init.d             passwd-            stunnel
blkid.tab.old      lighttpd           php.ini            transmission
dbus-1             mdadm.conf         shadow-
forked-daapd.conf  mdev.conf          snmp
group-             minidlna.conf      ssh
***USB drive plugged in***
[root@DNS-323]# ls
avahi              fstab              mdev.conf          snmp
bay                group-             minidlna.conf      ssh
blkid.tab          iet                mpd.conf           ssl
blkid.tab.old      init.d             passwd-            stunnel
dbus-1             lighttpd           php.ini            transmission
forked-daapd.conf  mdadm.conf         shadow-
[root@DNS-323]# cat /etc/bay

usbc_dev=sdc
sdc=usbc
usbc_cap="16.2GB"
usbc_fam="Corsair "
usbc_mod="Flash Voyager "
[root@DNS-323]# ls -la /Alt-F/.wh*
-r--r--r--    1 root     root             0 Jan  3  2013 /Alt-F/.wh..wh.aufs

/Alt-F/.wh..wh.orph:
total 8
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Jan  3  2013 .
drwxr-xr-x    7 root     root          4096 May 23 11:01 ..

/Alt-F/.wh..wh.plnk:
total 8
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Jan  3  2013 .
drwxr-xr-x    7 root     root          4096 May 23 11:01 ..
[root@DNS-323]# ls -la /rootmnt/rw/.wh.*
-r--r--r--    2 root     root             0 Jul  9 11:16 /rootmnt/rw/.wh..wh.aufs
-r--r--r--    2 root     root             0 Jul  9 11:16 /rootmnt/rw/.wh.newroot

/rootmnt/rw/.wh..wh.orph:
total 0
drwx------    2 root     root            40 Jul  9 11:16 .
drwxr-xr-x   11 root     root           340 Jul  9 11:19 ..

/rootmnt/rw/.wh..wh.plnk:
total 4
drwx------    2 root     root            60 Jul  9 11:16 .
drwxr-xr-x   11 root     root           340 Jul  9 11:19 ..
-rwxr-xr-x    3 root     root           943 Jan 21 12:02 166.637
[root@DNS-323]# smartctl -i /dev/sda
smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [armv5tel-linux-3.10.32] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Toshiba 3.5" HDD DT01ACA...
Device Model:     TOSHIBA DT01ACA300
Serial Number:    X3T9JDGGS
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000039 ff4d26c6a
Firmware Version: MX6OABB0
User Capacity:    3,000,592,982,016 bytes [3.00 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Wed Jul  9 11:26:41 2014 EDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

[root@DNS-323]# smartctl -i /dev/sdb
smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [armv5tel-linux-3.10.32] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Toshiba 3.5" HDD DT01ACA...
Device Model:     TOSHIBA DT01ACA300
Serial Number:    X3T9BLNGS
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000039 ff4d25a65
Firmware Version: MX6OABB0
User Capacity:    3,000,592,982,016 bytes [3.00 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Wed Jul  9 11:26:55 2014 EDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

[root@DNS-323]#

And the content of '/var/log/hot.log' (you can use System->Utilities->Logs)

DATE=Wed Jul 9 11:16:14 EDT 2014
USER=root OLDPWD=/ HOME=/ MDEV=sda TERM=vt102 SUBSYSTEM=sda PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin SHELL=/bin/sh PWD=/dev No ACTION for sda, 'mdev -s' is scanning /sys /usr/sbin/hot.sh: eval: line 1: syntax error: unterminated quoted string DATE=Wed Jul 9 11:16:15 EDT 2014 USER=root OLDPWD=/ HOME=/ MDEV=sda1 TERM=vt102 SUBSYSTEM=sda PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin SHELL=/bin/sh PWD=/dev No ACTION for sda1, 'mdev -s' is scanning /sys mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/sda1. DATE=Wed Jul 9 11:16:16 EDT 2014 USER=root OLDPWD=/ HOME=/ MDEV=sda2 TERM=vt102 SUBSYSTEM=sda PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin SHELL=/bin/sh PWD=/dev No ACTION for sda2, 'mdev -s' is scanning /sys mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/sda2. /mnt/Volume_1 is not a mountpoint DATE=Wed Jul 9 11:16:17 EDT 2014 USER=root OLDPWD=/ HOME=/ MDEV=sdb TERM=vt102 SUBSYSTEM=sdb PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin SHELL=/bin/sh PWD=/dev No ACTION for sdb, 'mdev -s' is scanning /sys /usr/sbin/hot.sh: eval: line 1: syntax error: unterminated quoted string DATE=Wed Jul 9 11:16:17 EDT 2014 USER=root OLDPWD=/ HOME=/ MDEV=sdb1 TERM=vt102 SUBSYSTEM=sdb PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin SHELL=/bin/sh PWD=/dev No ACTION for sdb1, 'mdev -s' is scanning /sys mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/sdb1. DATE=Wed Jul 9 11:16:17 EDT 2014 USER=root OLDPWD=/ HOME=/ MDEV=sdb2 TERM=vt102 SUBSYSTEM=sdb PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin SHELL=/bin/sh PWD=/dev No ACTION for sdb2, 'mdev -s' is scanning /sys mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/sdb2. /mnt/Volume_2 is not a mountpoint DATE=Wed Jul 9 11:20:44 EDT 2014 DEVNAME=sdc ACTION=add HOME=/ SEQNUM=433 MAJOR=8 MDEV=sdc DEVPATH=/block/sdc SUBSYSTEM=block PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin MINOR=32 PWD=/dev DEVTYPE=disk smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [armv5tel-linux-3.10.32] (local build) Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org /dev/sdc: Unknown USB bridge [0x1b1c:0x0ab1 (0x100)] Please specify device type with the -d option. Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary smartd stopped DATE=Wed Jul 9 11:20:44 EDT 2014 DEVNAME=sdc1 ACTION=add HOME=/ SEQNUM=434 MAJOR=8 MDEV=sdc1 DEVPATH=/block/sdc/sdc1 SUBSYSTEM=block PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin MINOR=33 PWD=/dev DEVTYPE=partition mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/sdc1. /mnt/sdc1 is not a mountpoint

Hope this helps. TIA.

Edit: I just noticed I can't set the power saving on the Disks/Utilities page of the webui for either of these drives either.

João Cardoso

Jul 9, 2014, 5:44:43 PM7/9/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:38:07 PM UTC+1, Kevin Roberts wrote:
Here's the information requested.

Thanks.

If you look at hot.log you will notice two errors:

/usr/sbin/hot.sh: eval: line 1: syntax error: unterminated quoted string

This happens when sda and sdb are discovered, but not for sdc. So, what is the issue?
If you look at the smartctl output for sda or sdb, you will notice that the drive name is called:

Model Family:     Toshiba 3.5" HDD DT01ACA...

Ah, Toshiba's fault!
They decided to put the `"' in the drive model family name, and that produces the "unterminated quoted string"
error and /etc/bay is not written.
Ah, not Toshiba's fault, you say, jcard's fault.

Yes, and what if they decided to call it "Toshiba's 3.5" Disk"? how would I quote the string?
Your problem, you thing, and you are right :-)

So, another issue to track. (please fill-in a bug report, I'm on vacations and I will forget to fix it),

This issue has no other consequences than the missing displayed drive model (hmmm, not fully certain, don't hot/live-eject the drives just in case)

Thanks!

Kevin Roberts

Jul 10, 2014, 10:32:30 AM7/10/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Greetings!

Toshiba did a no-no but you're left to deal with it.

Under my sourceforge username: majorevent, I posted a ticket (#330) that I hope is concise and also referenced this thread.

The only problem I've noticed  (beside the lack of information in the status and utilities webui pages) is that the power saving setting doesn't seem to take.

João Cardoso

Jul 10, 2014, 5:01:08 PM7/10/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:32:30 PM UTC+1, Kevin Roberts wrote:
Greetings!

Toshiba did a no-no but you're left to deal with it.

Under my sourceforge username: majorevent, I posted a ticket (#330) that I hope is concise and also referenced this thread.

Thanks

The only problem I've noticed  (beside the lack of information in the status and utilities webui pages) is that the power saving setting doesn't seem to take.

You should only use the Spindown entry, don't mess with Power Saving, leave it disable.
That is for old disks. New disks might also support it, but it might interfere with their own power saving strategy.
I will eventually remove that from the webUI (I was to do that for RC4, but got lazy)

João Cardoso

Jul 12, 2014, 8:27:28 PM7/12/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, July 10, 2014 10:01:08 PM UTC+1, João Cardoso wrote:

On Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:32:30 PM UTC+1, Kevin Roberts wrote:
Greetings!

Toshiba did a no-no but you're left to deal with it.

Under my sourceforge username: majorevent, I posted a ticket (#330) that I hope is concise and also referenced this thread.

Thanks

I have released a fix, but unfortunately it will not solve your issue, as the fix is applied after the disk being detected.

Kevin Roberts

Jul 13, 2014, 12:17:53 PM7/13/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Greetings!

I have released a fix, but unfortunately it will not solve your issue, as the fix is applied after the disk being detected.

I applied the fix through the new patching system (System/Utilities/Fixes) which seems to work well but, as you said, it had no affect on my circumstance.

João Cardoso

Jul 18, 2014, 7:32:15 PM7/18/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

You might be interested reading this, which should solve the issue.

Kevin Roberts

Jul 18, 2014, 11:23:05 PM7/18/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

You might be interested reading this, which should solve the issue.

The issue is almost solved but not quite.

I placed the script and chmod it then setup the Services/User/user/configure and submit. user is boot enabled. Test by starting user to confirm. Status and Utilities pages shows drive ID and Power Saving settings are working. Reboot. Nothing. Check user and it's running, check configure and path to file is there, waited 8 min, check status, utilities pages and still nothing. Stop user then start user and it works.

So it doesn't seem to be working on reboot but does work if I stop and start the user service configured to run the script.

João Cardoso

Jul 19, 2014, 10:47:12 AM7/19/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

You are right.

If you watch the hot_aux log (System->Utilities->View Logs and filter with 'hot_aux:'), you should see the messages:
Executing "yourscript start" in background
Alt-F directory found in /mnt/...

The user boot script is run before the Alt-F folder being detected and the fixes are not yet active.
I'm pondering (read "trying to remember") why this is made this way, and eventually will release a fix.
Meanwhile you have to run the user script manually using the webUI.
--OR--: move the user script to a filesystem that is detected after the Alt-F folder being detected (if you have one)

Thanks