4TB Green working, Microsoft Backup working, GoodSync working.

Conrad Ramos

Aug 6, 2014, 10:36:32 AM8/6/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
I am not a IT professional but I wanted to share my experience.
I have a DNS323 B1 and Had a Raid 1 - 2x 2TB Western Digital Green with the latest DNS323 firmware.

Wanted to try the Alt-F, to be able to upgrade to 4TB.
Installed Alt-F and the firmware upgrade worked flawlessly.
Installed. Alt-F 0.1RC4 with kernel 3.10.32, and flashed with Alt-F-0.1RC4, kernel 3.10.32. (Which is the firware for the box that was posted).
After I figured out the File structure and SAMBA, I got it to work.
I could NOT do a windows backup (when I could before) but I was able to download Macrium Backup and was able to get that to work so I figured it was something up with Windows permissions.

Then, I took those two 2TB disks out and installed 1 x 4TB Western Digital Green. I set it up as a standard drive to test it out before I would go out and buy a second one. After the install and boot, the DNS323 was able to recognize the 4TB (See below)
Bay Dev. Model Capacity Power Status Temp Health
left sda WDC WD40EZRX-00SPEB0 4.0TB active or idle 42°C/107.6°F passed
Mounted Filesystems
Dev. Label CapacityAvailable FSMode DirtyAutomatic FSCK in
sda2
3.6TB
3.6TB
ext4 RW
48 mounts or 179 days

This time, I stayed with the file structure that Alt-F created (sda2, public, users, etc..) Did not change anything.
When I first tried to map out my windows desktop to the DNS, it was remembering the old File structure from my old 2TB hard disk.
After messing around for a while, I went into the SAMBA configuration and deleted the old file folders and made sure that the new folders reflected the sda2, public, etc..) that AltF created.  FOR YOU NON TECHIES OUT THERE THIS CAN SAVE YOU A LOT OF TIME.

After I did that Windows was able to map to the correct folders.
HOWEVER, I had to hard boot my desktop computer with the DNS323 off. After that I was able to map out.

I then was able to do a windows backup to the public folder as well as a goodsync backup to the public folder.

So everything appears to be working and I have donated something to the cause.

One thing that is a little confusing is when I go to the Public Folder in the Alt-F interface it shows NOBODY as the owner and group.
Folder: /mnt/sda2/Public (hit path component to visit it)

OwnerGroupPermissions
Up Folder
RO rootrootrwxr-xr-x
RW nobodynobodyrwxrwxrwx

It is the RW folder that I did a successful test microsoft backup and a good sync backup and copied and deleted folders without any problem from my windows compter.

I am afraid to change anything since everthing is working.

If anybody wants to chime in let me know.

Thanks to all who have made this work.