cannot access to the BOX anymore

Gian Maria Filippini

Nov 9, 2014, 12:37:06 PM11/9/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
this morning I decided to reinstall all my pc from scratch starting from a Disk image I had stored away.
I didn't make any change to the nas (DLINK-323-C1) and everyting worked fine: I had access to alt-f webpage and was able to configure samba drives on win.
BUT then suddenly I wasn't able to access the nas anymore. When accessing Alt-f web page I got the "timeout" error message.
My router says the nas should have 192.168.1.81 IP but the network scanner (ZENMAP) doesn't fint it (WHY??)
I did several hard reset (rear button pressed more than 20 secs) and some reboot (front button pressed till right led starts blinking amber) but nothing interesting happened.
I also tried to access the box via ftp by using PUTTY on 192.168.1.81 port 26 but got "connection time out" error.

Any suggestion?
thanks a lot.

João Cardoso

Nov 9, 2014, 12:52:34 PM11/9/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 5:37:06 PM UTC, Gian Maria Filippini wrote:
this morning I decided to reinstall all my pc from scratch starting from a Disk image I had stored away.
I didn't make any change to the nas (DLINK-323-C1) and everyting worked fine: I had access to alt-f webpage and was able to configure samba drives on win.
BUT then suddenly I wasn't able to access the nas anymore. When accessing Alt-f web page I got the "timeout" error message.
My router says the nas should have 192.168.1.81 IP but the network scanner (ZENMAP) doesn't fint it (WHY??)
I did several hard reset (rear button pressed more than 20 secs) and some reboot (front button pressed till right led starts blinking amber)

If amber led blinks, then Alt-F is running

but nothing interesting happened.

What does "interesting" means for you? Not the same as for me, certainly -- just describe, don't judge ;-)

I also tried to access the box via ftp by using PUTTY on 192.168.1.81 port 26 but got "connection time out" error.

Try pressing the reset button for more than 10 but less than 20 seconds (say 15 seconds), then telnet the box at port 26, it shoukd work; then 'rcinetd start' will enable the webui, ssh, ftp, etc. Save settings.

Gian Maria Filippini

Nov 9, 2014, 3:10:06 PM11/9/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
see below
I tried but PUTTY gives me "network error - connection time out"

João Cardoso

Nov 9, 2014, 4:04:49 PM11/9/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
If the amber leds blinks when you press the front or reset button, then alt-f is working and you have a network problem.

If the router says the box has an ip but your network scanning don't show it up and you can't ping the box, then probably the router is retaining an old lease, try shutting down the dns, reboot the router, and see if it stills shows the IP lease.

Notice that the "connection time out" message is not the same as a "Connection refused" or "No route to host" or whatever putty says on a non-existent IP.

As a last resort you can try a direct-cable PC-to-nas connection. When booted without a DHCP server, and if no static IP is setup, Alt-F will use IP 192.168.1.254. Search the forum for this.