Purple leds, can't access to my NAS webpage

Aurélien GRACIA-CAMPO

Dec 8, 2014, 6:47:16 PM12/8/14
Hello,

My Nas doesn't show its webpage, the left array containing my HDD is blinking in a purple colour, the right one blinks in orange
I let it that way for more than 24 hours, before doing a reset (pressing back button for 20s), then I could access the NAS webpage back again and I fulfilled the wizard, rebooted it, and then the same problem happened again, the nas would show no webpage and the purple and orange leds where blinking again, it seems the only way for me to access the NAS webpage is by resetting it,

I held the power button to be sure ALT F was active and I got confirmation, Left disk blinked with orange colour for 3 times, then right one,

I think the source of my issue is when I initially tried to set up the "folders setup", I wanted users not to access the entire sda2 so I unticked the 3 boxes "browsable" "read only" and "inherit perms", to tick them only in a specific shared folder in sda2,

My NAS is composed of only one WD Caviar Green 3Tb, last time I saw its status it was degraded,
I also followed one of your tutos:
In the RAID web page, RAID Maintenance section, I selected in the md0 line,
   Raid Operations->Create Bitmap.

I read this tutorials of yours without knowing what information to use:
http://sourceforge.net/p/alt-f/wiki/About%20Buttons%20and%20Leds/
https://code.google.com/p/alt-f/issues/detail?id=59
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt-f/5fdbE0Jxdts/9ZgDr4gxLmwJ

Is it normal, will my NAS come back to normal state if I wait more? If then, how much time approximately do I have to wait?
By the meantime, my folders are still accessible under Windows, it seems my Samba share isnt broken

Here is what the Status page looks like:

Disks
Bay Dev. Model Capacity Power Status Temp Health
left sda WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 3.0TB active or idle 39°C/102.2°F passed

RAID
Dev. Capacity LevelState StatusAction DoneETA
md0 0.5GB raid1 clean  degraded  idle

Mounted Filesystems
Dev. Label CapacityAvailable FSMode DirtyAutomatic FSCK in
sda2
2.7TB
1.2TB
ext3 RW
10 mounts or 175 days
sda4
484.3MB
469.0MB
ext3 RW
16 mounts or 178 days

Aurélien GRACIA-CAMPO

Dec 9, 2014, 11:41:19 AM12/9/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

I managed to get the Web interface back by resetting the NAS and loading an old save, I suspect I didn't tick the Static ip option though,
anyway, now the NAS still shows a purple led on the left array and orange led on right one, drive is still working, but I have no information about any maintenance operation in my web interface, what should I do?

João Cardoso

Dec 9, 2014, 1:49:38 PM12/9/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, December 8, 2014 11:47:16 PM UTC, Aurélien GRACIA-CAMPO wrote:
Hello,

My Nas

Model? Alt-F version?

doesn't show its webpage, the left array containing my HDD is blinking in a purple colour, the right one blinks in orange

orange means a degraded RAID, blinking might means RAID reconstruction, purple is the result of blue+orange.

how is the blue power led? blinking? heartbeat? steady? how it behaves depends on your box model.

I let it that way for more than 24 hours, before doing a reset (pressing back button for 20s), then I could access the NAS webpage back again and I fulfilled the wizard, rebooted it, and then the same problem happened again, the nas would show no webpage and the purple and orange leds where blinking again, it seems the only way for me to access the NAS webpage is by resetting it,

I held the power button to be sure ALT F was active and I got confirmation, Left disk blinked with orange colour for 3 times, then right one,

OK. Then you probably have a network (IP) issue

I think the source of my issue is when I initially tried to set up the "folders setup", I wanted users not to access the entire sda2 so I unticked the 3 boxes "browsable" "read only" and "inherit perms", to tick them only in a specific shared folder in sda2,

Don't think that to be the issue cause.

My NAS is composed of only one WD Caviar Green 3Tb, last time I saw its status it was degraded,

If you have only one disk, then the RAID (1?) is degraded, thus the orange led

I also followed one of your tutos:
In the RAID web page, RAID Maintenance section, I selected in the md0 line,
   Raid Operations->Create Bitmap.

From the info bellow, your RAID is in really for a swap device, a D-Link idiosyncrasy, and there is no point in adding a "write-intent bitmap" in such setup.
I recommend you to destroy that RAID and create a standard swap device instead.

I read this tutorials of yours without knowing what information to use:
http://sourceforge.net/p/alt-f/wiki/About%20Buttons%20and%20Leds/
https://code.google.com/p/alt-f/issues/detail?id=59
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt-f/5fdbE0Jxdts/9ZgDr4gxLmwJ

Is it normal, will my NAS come back to normal state if I wait more?

Even if you had a RAID1 and it was reconstructing itself or if filesystem is being checked you should have access to the box. That is not the issue.
Yes, you have swap over a RAID1, there is nothing wrong with that, but it is a waste of resources.
You have to use the command line to "fix" it, if you want to.

First verify that swap is indeed being used over RAID1:

cat /proc/swaps

If you are using swap over RAID1 the above command will show something similar to

Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/md0                                partition       524272  0       -1

The important is the RAID device name, /dev/md0 in the above example. You should use what is reported for your box.
If it has the form /dev/sd... and not /dev/md... then it is not a RAID, don't continue with this procedure.

Now obtain the disk partitions over which the RAID is build:

mdadm --examine --scan --verbose

you will see something similar to

ARRAY /dev/md0 ...
   devices=/dev/sdb1,/dev/sda1
ARRAY /dev/md1 ...
   devices=...
ARRAY /dev/md2...
   devices=...

The important is the disk devices names matching the RAID device, in the above example /dev/sda1 and  /dev/sdb1
As you have only one disk, only one device will appear, probably /dev/sda1. In the following use only the device that is reported above.

swapoff /dev/md0 # stop swap over RAID1 device md0
mdadm
--stop /dev/md0 # stop the md0 RAID. amber/orange led will be turned off
mdadm
--zero-superblock /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 # destroy RAID information from the RAID disk components sda1 and sdb1
mkswap
/dev/sda1 # create swap on sda1
mkswap
/dev/sdb1 # create swap on sdb1
swapon
-p1 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 # activate swap on both

Mounted Filesystems
Dev. Label CapacityAvailable FSMode DirtyAutomatic FSCK in
sda2
2.7TB
1.2TB
ext3 RW
10 mounts or 175 days
sda4
484.3MB
469.0MB
ext3 RW
16 mounts or 178 days

I managed to get the Web interface back by resetting the NAS and loading an old save, I suspect I didn't tick the Static ip option though,

The default is to ask and IP to your DHCP server, which is normally your router. If you want to use a dynamic IP, you should verify that you router is supplying one, and what IP was supplied by the router web page. Normaly this will appear under lease or client on the router DHCP web page.

anyway, now the NAS still shows a purple led on the left array and orange led on right one, drive is still working, but I have no information about any maintenance operation in my web interface, what should I do?

The above procedure to "fix" the swap "issue". If it works, and based on your own experience, add a wiki entry on "how to remove swap from a RAID1" :-)

Aurélien GRACIA-CAMPO

Dec 9, 2014, 3:48:36 PM12/9/14

Hello João, thx for your quick reply,

I did a bit of investigation meanwhile, so I'll give you a first part of answer, about what I think was causing the "orange + blue led = purple",

I will study and apply your advice about raid configuration and give you part2 as soon as I assimilate all you told me (I'm noob to setting NAS and raid)

So my NAS is a Dlink DNS320, fw ALT-F 0.1RC4

I managed to find the service that was causing my NAS to overcharge:

forked_daapd DAAP and RSP media server (iTunes)

When this service is active I have 100% of cpu usage and 2.40 load

When disabled I come back to a steady 10% cpu and 0 to 0.1 load

This overcharge was causing the left blue led to blink like crazy and give this purple colour,

Now that I disabled forked_daapd, I may confirm that my HDD doesn't excessively vibrate anymore,

My 3 NAS leds are now in a steady orange colour, so I still have an issue and must study your RAID suggestions above.

Btw, here is what is displayed in my Disk/RAID menu:

Dev. Type

md1

RAID Maintenance
Dev.  Capacity  Level  Ver.  Components

md0  0.5GB  raid1
0.9 sda1

João Cardoso

Dec 14, 2014, 2:06:11 PM12/14/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:48:36 PM UTC, Aurélien GRACIA-CAMPO wrote:

Hello João, thx for your quick reply,

I did a bit of investigation meanwhile, so I'll give you a first part of answer, about what I think was causing the "orange + blue led = purple",

I will study and apply your advice about raid configuration and give you part2 as soon as I assimilate all you told me (I'm noob to setting NAS and raid)

So my NAS is a Dlink DNS320,

Not the 320L model? a rev-A1 board? See the box bottom attached label.

fw ALT-F 0.1RC4

I managed to find the service that was causing my NAS to overcharge:

forked_daapd DAAP and RSP media server (iTunes)

When this service is active I have 100% of cpu usage and 2.40 load

When disabled I come back to a steady 10% cpu and 0 to 0.1 load

This overcharge was causing the left blue led to blink like crazy and give this purple colour,

Now that I disabled forked_daapd, I may confirm that my HDD doesn't excessively vibrate anymore,

After the initial scanning of all your files, for finding the media files to serve, forked-daapd should not consume CPU anymore.

My 3 NAS leds are now in a steady orange colour, so I still have an issue and must study your RAID suggestions above.

Btw, here is what is displayed in my Disk/RAID menu:

Dev. Type

md1

RAID Maintenance
Dev.  Capacity  Level  Ver.  Components

md0  0.5GB  raid1
0.9 sda1

Yes, you have swap over RAID1, and it is degraded as you have only one disk.
Please verify if you have a DNS-320L and not a DNS-320 board. I though that only the 320L had swap over RAID1.

Aurélien GRACIA-CAMPO

Dec 18, 2014, 4:46:57 AM12/18/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Sorry for late reply, I confirm my previous post, my NAS is a (not L) DNS320,
I did the first part of your tutorial, and removed the raid 1 swap partition, this successfully removed the orange leds,
I still have a red message in my status page that states no swap, but I fear from using the partition menu to create a new swap partition, I could erase my sda2 data partition by doing wrong, so I'll let it untouched while I'm not more documented,

Here is a look at my status page now:

System
Temperature
37.0°C/98.6°F
Fan speed
0
Load
0.43
CPU
10%
Memory
60% of 128MB
Swap
None
Name: dns325
Model: DNS-320-A1A2
Date: Thu Dec 18 10:32:06 CET 2014 Uptime: 6 day(s) 15 hour(s)
Network Speed:1000Mbps Duplex:full MTU:1500 TX:2.7GiB Rx:158.4MiB IP:192.168.0.32
Disks
Bay Dev. Model Capacity Power Status Temp Health
left sda WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 3.0TB active or idle
29°C/84.2°F passed
Mounted Filesystems
Dev. Label CapacityAvailable FSMode DirtyAutomatic FSCK in
sda1
509.7MB
493.2MB
ext3 RW
30 mounts or 172 days
sda2
2.7TB
1.2TB
ext3 RW
32 mounts or 167 days
sda4
484.3MB
439.4MB
ext3 RW
13 mounts or 169 days

João Cardoso

Dec 18, 2014, 11:32:22 AM12/18/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
You have a filesystem on sda1, which is not a standard setup. sda1 is usually reserved for swap on both the D-Link firmware and Alt-F.

First verify that you have no data of yours on /mnt/sda1, as the next procedure will delete it.
Then execute the following commands:

umount /dev/sda1 # unmount the filesystem

mkswap
/dev/sda1 # create swap on sda1

swapon
/dev/sda1 # activate swap on it

That's it. You don't need to reboot, swap is now active. On the next reboot it will be automatically available.

Aurélien GRACIA-CAMPO

Dec 22, 2014, 6:39:33 AM12/22/14
Thanks for your help, swap is now active, and I haven't lost any data, but still have to reconfigure some settings though, sda1 has now disappeared from partitions, can you just take a look at my status screen to tell me if it's ok?

System
Temperature
38.0°C/100.4°F
Fan speed
0
Load
0.05
CPU
17%
Memory
79% of 128MB
Swap
0% of 517MB
Name: dns325
Model: DNS-320-A1A2
Date: Mon Dec 22 12:34:53 CET 2014 Uptime: 0 day(s) 0 hour(s)

Network
Speed:1000Mbps Duplex:full MTU:1500 TX:8.5MiB Rx:1.5MiB IP:192.168.0.32

Disks
Bay Dev. Model Capacity Power Status Temp Health
left sda WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 3.0TB active or idle
34°C/93.2°F passed

Mounted Filesystems
Dev. Label CapacityAvailable FSMode DirtyAutomatic FSCK in
sda2
2.7TB
1.2TB
ext3 RW