DNS-323-C1 - No more response after upgrading to ALT-F!!! HELP ME PLS!!!

Gian Maria Filippini

Oct 5, 2014, 5:49:06 PM10/5/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

Probably I did something wrong because I can't access to my nas anymore . Please be patient because I am an absolute beginner whit these "linux-suff".

- the box had 2TB HD in RAID1 and fw rel. 1.10 and had a static IP address which was: 192.168.1.105. My pc  runs Win7
- The PC (IP .101) is linked to the nas via a router (IP .200). The router runs a dhcp server.

Here is what I have done:
- I accessed the dlink standard webgui to flash a new fw and uploaded the file Alt-F-0.1RC4-DNS-323-rev-A1B1C1.

At the end of the disk check I was able to access Alt-F.
Here I downloaded and installed the "torrent" package and updated few others.

the box then rebooted and after that I wasn't anymore able to access it
- invalid ip address response for 192.168.1.105
- I tried the Ip stuff (from .254 to 240)
- I run a network scanner sw (Softperfect network scanner) but it wasn't able to discover the nas (I get the ip-s of all the other devices connected to the router but not the one of the nas)
- the router webgui reports the nas has a different ip (192.168.1.79) but when I type it in Firefox I get the invalid ip address response.
- I then tried the hardreset stuff by pressing for 20secs (I did for 30 secs) the rear button.
- I still haven't found what I am looking for: the NAS IP Address.

BTW: the front lights are steady blue; if I press for more than 3 secs the right one it becomes blinking amber (this means ALT-F is installed, right??). Sometimes the right led starts blinking (disk check?)

DO I HAVE TO THROW THE NAS IN THE TRASHCAN?

Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot!
Gian Maria

João Cardoso

Oct 6, 2014, 1:08:35 PM10/6/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, October 5, 2014 10:49:06 PM UTC+1, Gian Maria Filippini wrote:

Probably I did something wrong because I can't access to my nas anymore . Please be patient because I am an absolute beginner whit these "linux-suff".

- the box had 2TB HD in RAID1 and fw rel. 1.10 and had a static IP address which was: 192.168.1.105. My pc  runs Win7
- The PC (IP .101) is linked to the nas via a router (IP .200). The router runs a dhcp server.

Here is what I have done:
- I accessed the dlink standard webgui to flash a new fw and uploaded the file Alt-F-0.1RC4-DNS-323-rev-A1B1C1.

At the end of the disk check I was able to access Alt-F.
Here I downloaded and installed the "torrent" package and updated few others.

the box then rebooted

By itself? Or have you tell it to reboot?
If you have tell it to reboot, have you "saved settings" first?

and after that I wasn't anymore able to access it
- invalid ip address response for 192.168.1.105
- I tried the Ip stuff (from .254 to 240)
- I run a network scanner sw (Softperfect network scanner) but it wasn't able to discover the nas (I get the ip-s of all the other devices connected to the router but not the one of the nas)
- the router webgui reports the nas has a different ip (192.168.1.79)

So the network scanner was not able to find it, but the router says that it was there?
Try a different scanner, 'nmap', it even has a webui for windows. Ask for a "port scan", to see what services are running and available.

but when I type it in Firefox I get the invalid ip address response.
- I then tried the hardreset stuff by pressing for 20secs (I did for 30 secs) the rear button.

So all settings was cleared, and the box now uses DHCP; also all you changes and costumisation was lost (unless you downloaded and saved a "settings set" in you computer.
You you have to re-install all Alt-F packages, as some of them create and need special users at install time, and  those have been now lost.

- I still haven't found what I am looking for: the NAS IP Address.

BTW: the front lights are steady blue; if I press for more than 3 secs the right one it becomes blinking amber (this means ALT-F is installed, right??).

Yes, and working. You only need to find its IP and be sure that network services are running. Use nmap and do a port scan; double check with your router DHCP lease. Clear your browsee cache!

Sometimes the right led starts blinking (disk check?)

DO I HAVE TO THROW THE NAS IN THE TRASHCAN?

Of course not!

You have done your homework, front-button diagnostics, reset button hard (>230sec) reset, ...

Any suggestions?

Use the reset button >20sec again -- you should see both the amber leds flashing, then the box does a reboot -- watch your router IP list, use nmap, post the open ports from the port scan, try telneting, ssh, ftp the box, don't use only  windows networking.

Gian Maria Filippini

Oct 6, 2014, 4:48:01 PM10/6/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
EUREKA!!!! IT WORKS!!!

I just followed your precious instrictions ("Use the reset button >20sec again -- you should see both the amber leds flashing, then the box does a reboot -- watch your router IP list, use nmap, post the open ports from the port scan, try telneting, ssh, ftp the box, don't use only  windows networking") and I found the IP (it was .79 with DHCP). Now I have set a static ip and it works fine!!!
Done some first use setup (user, volumes, and so on), Installed "transmission" and then saved settings.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP!
Gian Maria