Using Alt-F on DNS-320L revision A4 ?

Terasgr

Nov 24, 2015, 3:33:39 AM11/24/15
to Alt-F

Hello all

I just bought a new DNS-320L which underneath says that it is revision A4.
I can't find nowhere any information whether this revision is supported or not.
Is this box supported or if I try it it will brick my box?

João Cardoso

Nov 24, 2015, 10:39:55 AM11/24/15
to Alt-F

On Tuesday, 24 November 2015 08:33:39 UTC, Terasgr wrote:

Hello all

I just bought a new DNS-320L which underneath says that it is revision A4.

Past experience shows evidences that rev-Ax boards (A1, A2, A3...) have only minor changes not related to the in board circuitry, so it should be safe. But and evidence is not a proof.

Most rev-Ax boards described as working were the result of users trying, as I don't own all those rev-Ax/Bx/Cx boards.
Evidence shows that rev-Ax *are* differente from rev-Bx or rev-Cx boards, and I *don't* recommend anyone to use use them (anyway the vendors firmware should refuse to flash Alt-F in those cases).

If you try and it doesn't work, *please* report back.

Remember that possibly the box IP will change after the reboot and that your browser cache might retain some D-Link webUI pages. This has been addressed several times in this forum.

Terasgr

Nov 24, 2015, 12:37:32 PM11/24/15
to Alt-F
I installed Alt-F on the device and everthing seems to work as planned.
It is strange though, the web interface reports that the device revision is A1, in contrast with what the sticker says.

João Cardoso

Nov 24, 2015, 1:00:41 PM11/24/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, 24 November 2015 17:37:32 UTC, Terasgr wrote:
I installed Alt-F on the device and everthing seems to work as planned.

Thanks for reporting back.

So Alt-F works on the DNS-320L rev-A4 and we have more evidences that there are no differences between the several Ax or Bx or qateverx hardware boxes. I believe that the only differences at that level might at the bolts, case or any other non-electronic level.

[Edited]
What matters is the electronic board inside the case. For example, the DNS-320-rev-Bx is identical to the DNS-320L-rev-Ax (apart from having only half of the memory).
However, the D-Link firmware upgrader don't allows you to flash a DNS-320-rev-Ax with firmware for the DNS-320-rev-Bx or vice-versa, be it a Alt-F or a D-Link fw. But Alt-F knows that the inner electronic board is identical and allows you to  flash a DNS-320-rev-Bx with fw made for the DNS-320L-rev-Ax, or vice-versa.
The reasons why D-Link does this is probably just for marketing, using the same circuit board in both models. Cars parts manufactures uses this a lot. The Ax numbering on the other side has probably just to do with manufacturing procedures or tracking.

It is strange though, the web interface reports that the device revision is A1, in contrast with what the sticker says.

There is no mensurable electronic difference between any Ax versions, that's why. For the next Alt-F version that will be replaced with Ax, Bx, etc.

Thanks

Ronaldo Antoni

Nov 24, 2015, 3:39:37 PM11/24/15
to Grupo Alt-F
I have walked away from the list, but I follow ...
I take this opportunity to ask if we have forecast a new version? Something new comes around?

Ronaldo Antoni
(54)9979-8920

On Tuesday, 24 November 2015 17:37:32 UTC, Terasgr wrote:
I installed Alt-F on the device and everthing seems to work as planned.

Thanks for reporting back.

So Alt-F works on the DNS-320L rev-A4 and we have more evidences that there are no differences between the several Ax or Bx or qateverx hardware boxes. I believe that the only differences at that level might at the bolts, case or any other non-electronic level.

For example, the DNS-320-rev-Bx is identical (apart from having only half of the memory) to the DNS-320L-rev-Ax. You can't flash a DNS-320-rev-Ax with firmware for the DNS-320-rev-Bx, be it Alt-F or D-Link. But you can flash a DNS-320-rev-Bx with Alt-F fw made for the DNS-320L-rev-Ax.
The reasons why D-Link does this is probably just for marketing.

It is strange though, the web interface reports that the device revision is A1, in contrast with what the sticker says.

There is no mensurable electronic difference between any Ax versions, that's why. For the next Alt-F version that will be replaced with Ax, Bx, etc.

Thanks

Τη Τρίτη, 24 Νοεμβρίου 2015 - 5:39:55 μ.μ. UTC+2, ο χρήστης João Cardoso έγραψε:

[...]

João Cardoso

Nov 25, 2015, 1:35:46 PM11/25/15
to Alt-F

On Tuesday, 24 November 2015 20:39:37 UTC, Ronaldo Antoni wrote:
I have walked away from the list, but I follow ...
I take this opportunity to ask if we have forecast a new version?

Yes, I'm working on that, but I'm kind of slow. Perhaps for Christmas? :-)

Something new comes around?

New? Alt-F is over 5 years now, and at that time I still had a HTC Magic with android 1.5. As GPS and gyroscopes can't  be added to our box, nothing really new will arise, only bug fixes and software updates.
Of course, support for the DNS-327L is ready to go and I could do an experimental release just for it, as a real release takes a lot of time and effort.

Ronaldo Antoni
(54)9979-8920