Power outage and now cant access Right Hand side drive

timpu...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2016, 7:33:49 PM3/28/16
to Alt-F
Please can anyone help me.

We had a mains power failure. After the DNS 323 rebooted I can still access the Left hand side drive - Mapped as M:  but Cannot access Right hand side drive files.
Mapped as N:

Right hand side shows drive size as 29 Meg and completely empty - Where as it should be 1.5 Terabyte and should be 2/3 full of data.

I clicked on the force-fix button, but after that I don't know how to execute the force fix. Does it do this automatically?

The status of the LEDS - Blue Left LED flashing rapidly    Right Blue LED flashes intermittently and at the same time the right hard drive makes a grrr grrr noise, as if it is writing something.

I'm going to leave it over night to see if the data reappears by morning.

This is a screenshot of the drive info.

Any help would be much appreciated.

If this force fix does not work, do I have to run another command? If so how do I do that.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Tim Pullen

scaramanga

Mar 29, 2016, 1:29:43 PM3/29/16
to Alt-F
Is fsck running? My best guess is that the power failure caused some error and after you power on the device fsck started automatically to try and fix toe problem. This can take some time (=hours) to complete, depending on the file system size. You should be able to see in formation about the process in the status page.

Joao Cardoso

Mar 29, 2016, 8:56:25 PM3/29/16
to Alt-F

On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 6:29:43 PM UTC+1, scaramanga wrote:
Is fsck running? My best guess is that the power failure caused some error and after you power on the device fsck started automatically to try and fix toe problem. This can take some time (=hours) to complete, depending on the file system size. You should be able to see in formation about the process in the status page.

Yes, because fsck  errors and warning should have been displayed there:

Attach the relevant log files (System->Utilities->View Logs, System Configuration and others) and/or a screenshot of the Status or other relevant pages, not forgetting to refer your box model and hardware revision level.

In the posted screenshot both filesystems are mounted as "ro" (Read Only, to not cause any further damage), so I assume that fsck was not succeed in any disk.
And as the filesystems are still ext2 (I would recommend converting it to ext4 after dust setles), that means that fsck will take a big amount of time to complete. Depending on the box model (also shown in the Status page), the power led would be heart-beating or blinking while fsck works.