Entware-ng repository

multimer ua

Jan 10, 2016, 6:10:22 PM1/10/16
to Alt-F
What do you think about the support of Entware-ng repository

https://github.com/Entware-ng/Entware-ng/wiki

It was founded as Entware project to offer an alternative to very outdated Optware packages. Within five years of development a several Entware forks was born to run on NASes, PCs and new ARM routers. Now x86, x64, MIPS, ARMv5 and ARMv7 forks are merged into Entware-ng. It's maintained by the same team as Entware before.

João Cardoso

Jan 11, 2016, 5:20:26 PM1/11/16
to al...@googlegroups.com
And it works!
We need a armv5 arch needed for the DNS-323/321/320/320L/325 (and armv7 for the 327L), which they have. And they use a linking system identical to ffp, which make the binaries independent of the host libraries (that wasn't the way how optware was compiled for the 323, it relied on the system libraries, and that made it incompatible with Alt-F).

There might exists issues with conflicting packages that Alt-F installs under /opt, and settings PATH to use /opt/bin:opt/sbin migh also be problematic, as Alt-F webUI relies on the "behaviour" of certain programs.

Anyway I did the following:

# first time installation
if ! test -d /opt; then
 mkdir
/mnt/sda2/opt
 ln
-sf /mnt/sda2/opt /opt
fi

wget
http://pkg.entware.net/binaries/armv5/installer/entware_install.sh # examined it, pretty clear and simple

sh entware_install
.sh
/opt/bin/opkg update

# installing transmission:
/opt/bin/opkg install transmission-web

# edited /opt/etc/transmission/settings.json to add my PC to the whitelist
/opt/bin/transmission-daemon --config-dir /opt/etc/transmission/

And that's it,http://dns-323.homenet:9091/ showed the Transmission interface

installing minidlna was also as simple as '/opt/bin/opkg install minidlna', which I choose because it needs a lot of dependent packages that were installed and libraries dependencies correctly handled.

So its looks like a GO. Of course, packages that depends on kernel modules will most likely not work out of the box.

Thanks for the info!
João

multimer ua

Jan 24, 2016, 4:50:04 PM1/24/16
to Alt-F
DNS-325-A1A2 + Alt-F 0.1RC4.1

I try for first time to use rTorrent: install rTorrent+ruTorrent (web UI) through "rtorrent-easy-install" (installation script)
https://github.com/Entware-ng/Entware-ng/wiki/Using-Rtorrent

Spending some time by the reading of rTorrent's manuals to customize rtorrent.conf and
for better understanding of specific features - I can say: It's really simple installation script

rTorrent is a lightweight console client, but it needs a lot of dependent packages, and ruTorrent WebUI needs in turn a webserver (in our case - lighttpd)
Everything seems to work fine!
I use NAS only as a seedbox and music storage without any mediaservers and additional packages.
During two weeks i successfully seeding more than 500 torrents

Bill Rosenberg

Mar 9, 2016, 9:31:29 PM3/9/16
to Alt-F
How can I automatically start Entware packages at system boot and stop them at shutdown? I can probably add "/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung start" in a powerup user script via the GUI, but how can I get the stop command to be executed? Is there a preferred way to do both of these?

Thanks.

Bill

Joao Cardoso

Mar 10, 2016, 9:13:00 PM3/10/16
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 2:31:29 AM UTC, Bill Rosenberg wrote:
How can I automatically start Entware packages at system boot and stop them at shutdown? I can probably add "/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung start" in a powerup user script via the GUI, but how can I get the stop command to be executed? Is there a preferred way to do both of these?

Assuming that you have (at least) one Alt-F package installed, then when the filesystem containing the Alt-F folder is found, all boot enabled initscripts found there will be executed receiving the "start" argument; at shutdown all running initscripts will be excuted with the argument "stop".

So you only have to write the initscrip and put it there:

aufs.sh -n # always do this when directly managing anything under /Alt-F or /mnt/whatever/Alt-F
mkdir
-p /Alt-F/etc/init.d
touch
/Alt-F/etc/init.d/S18entware
aufs
.sh -r # end of direct /Alt-F managing, faster

ln
-sf /usr/sbin/rcscript /sbin/rcentware # autodone at hotplugging
rcentware enable
# boot enable

Now  /etc/init.d/S18entware should appear and can be edited as usual and 'rcentware' usable.
Assumes also that /opt will be in the same filesystem as the Alt-F folder and entware is installed there.
Some Alt-F packages already use the /opt folder, so it might already exists as /Alt-F/opt.

#!/bin/sh

DESC
="Entware-ng"
#TYPE=sys # uncommenting this will make it appears at Services->System

. /etc/init.d/common

case "$1" in
        start
)

# code to start it, return 0 if OK

;;
        stop
)

# code to stop it, return 0 if OK

;;
        status
)

# code to give its status, return 0 if running

;;

*)  usage $0 "start|stop|status" ;;
esac

Untested... please report back your results.

Thanks.

Bill

Bill Rosenberg

Mar 12, 2016, 3:27:18 PM3/12/16
to Alt-F
It works perfectly! I edited the S18entware script as follows:

#!/bin/sh

DESC="Entware-ng"

TYPE=sys # uncommenting this will make it appears at Services->System

. /etc/init.d/common

case "$1" in
        start)
                # code to start it, return 0 if OK
                /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung start ;;

        stop)
                # code to stop it, return 0 if OK
                /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung stop ;;

        status)
                # code to give its status, return 0 if running
                /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung check ;;

        *)  usage $0 "start|stop|status" ;;
esac

I uncommented the TYPE line as well so entware shows up in the GUI and it all seems to work as it should.

Thanks João for the help.

Bill Rosenberg

Jul 4, 2016, 12:23:14 AM7/4/16
to Alt-F
João,

I upgraded to RC5 and my script above stopped working at boot, but I could still start entware manually. After some investigation, I discovered that the S18entware script was being called with the "restart" option instead of "start". Once I added a restart case in the script it started to work from boot again.

Do you know why this seems to have changed with RC5?

Thanks.

Bill

João Cardoso

Jul 4, 2016, 9:58:22 AM7/4/16
to Alt-F
Because some services (samba, e.g.) are present in the base firmware in flash memory and start as soon as the box boots. But if such package suffers and update (on disk), the new code must be started as soon as the Alt-F is discovered. Having a "start" as argument would do nothing, as the service is already started, while a restart should do a "stop" followed by a "start". That's the reason -- the flash resident service is stopped and the disk resident service is started. (this applies to init scripts, that by default support a "restart" option)

Thanks.

Bill

Bill Rosenberg

Jul 7, 2016, 12:25:04 AM7/7/16
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Maybe I was wrong about it working without a restart option before RC5. All is well since I added it and I'll know not to make that mistake again. In case anyone else needs it, here is the updated version.

#!/bin/sh

DESC="Entware-ng"
TYPE=sys # uncommenting this will make it appears at Services->System

. /etc/init.d/common

case "$1" in
        start)
                # code to start it, return 0 if OK
                /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung start ;;
        stop)
                # code to stop it, return 0 if OK
                /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung stop ;;
        status)
                # code to give its status, return 0 if running
                /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung check ;;
        restart)
                # code to restart it, return 0 if OK
                /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung restart ;;
        *)  usage $0 "start|stop|status|restart" ;;
esac

Andrey Suprun

Feb 11, 2017, 1:51:58 AM2/11/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
How to correctly remove Entware-ng repository and all of its traces? The Midnight Commander from Alt-F supports now Cyrillic symbols, so I don't need its Entware-ng version anymore.

João Cardoso

Feb 11, 2017, 11:09:08 AM2/11/17
to Alt-F
Enter code here...

On Saturday, 11 February 2017 06:51:58 UTC, Andrey Suprun wrote:
How to correctly remove Entware-ng repository and all of its traces?

stop all entware-ng services first by using

rcentware stop

or if you haven't create the rc shortcut by using

/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung stop

then remove all entware-ng related folders:

for i in bin etc lib sbin share tmp usr var; do rm -rf /opt/$i; done

and if you have created the rc shortcut and initscript, remove them also

rm -f /etc/init.d/S81entware /sbin/rcentware

The Midnight Commander from Alt-F supports now Cyrillic symbols,

OK, thanks for reporting.

Francesco Brocero

May 24, 2020, 5:10:04 AM5/24/20
to Alt-F
Hi Multimer!
can you please help me in the rtorrent.conf editing. Could you please post yours?
thanks in advance