DNS325 Bricked!

Adolfo Volpe

Oct 22, 2014, 5:47:26 AM10/22/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I recently brick my DNS 325. I tried this firmware flashing it on vendor firmware and everything goes well. Later I reset the DNS, stopped all services and tried to reflash vendor firmware using the firmware update mask of Alt-f. The power led began flashing and never stop... One hour later, I rebooted the device but power led always flashing and was impossible to access via web interface. I have two qustions:
1) what was wrong?
2) using the serial connection how i can reflash the firmware (ALt-f or vendor)?
Thanks for support,
Adolfo

João Cardoso

Oct 22, 2014, 10:16:55 AM10/22/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:47:26 AM UTC+1, Adolfo Volpe wrote:
Hi all,
I recently brick my DNS 325. I tried this firmware flashing it on vendor firmware and everything goes well. Later I reset the DNS, stopped all services and tried to reflash vendor firmware using the firmware update mask of Alt-f.

That is part of the test procedures, and it worked for me.

The power led began flashing and never stop...

the bootloader is not able to start the new OS.

One hour later, I rebooted the device but power led always flashing and was impossible to access via web interface. I have two qustions:
1) what was wrong?

No idea, perhaps a bad flash.

When using the Firmware Updater, did all steps run OK?

kernel: Erasing... OK Flashing...OK Verifying...OK
rootfs: Erasing... OK Flashing...OK Verifying...OK
sqimage: Erasing... OK Flashing...OK Verifying...OK

As I never had a bad flash I'm not certain if the Verifying step effectively works, although I made all possible tests to simulate a bad flash...

2) using the serial connection how i can reflash the firmware (ALt-f or vendor)?

Most probably you can recover the box, but only after having the serial cable soldered in the box circuit box and establishing a serial connection from a computer (yes, you can use MS-Win for that)  we can be sure.

In a recent thread, "Support for D-Link 320 revB", some links were given on how to do this, and in another thread directions on how to use u-boot were also given.
If/when you decide to do it (solder the serial adapter), ask for more assistance.

Luck

Thanks for support,
Adolfo