inetd not running DNS-321

Daniel Weston

May 17, 2013, 3:23:46 PM5/17/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
So I just posted a question about adding users to FTP, and right after posting the question I realized that I hadn't tried restarting the DNS-321.  So, I restarted everything and now inetd is not running.  I can still access all my files and the drive (including the attached alt-f.log).  I noticed the posts on this same issue with the 323 and attaching a USB drive, but my 321 doesn't have a USB drive.

I also was going to try the 20 second power button hold, but after doing so nothing happens, so I was wondering if the 321's power button behaves differently?

I have access to my file, but I'd love to get access back to the webpage asap.

Thanks!

alt-f.log

João Cardoso

May 17, 2013, 8:02:28 PM5/17/13

On Friday, May 17, 2013 8:23:46 PM UTC+1, Daniel Weston wrote:
So I just posted a question about adding users to FTP, and right after posting the question I realized that I hadn't tried restarting the DNS-321.
  So, I restarted everything and now inetd is not running.

Yes, from the logs it is not running.
But it was running the first time, as inetd is also responsible for launching the httpd server used by  Alt-F webUI.

PS: Have you hand-edited any configuration files? Have you "Boot Disable"  inetd  under Services->System?
Edited inetd.conf?

You have lighttpd running, how do you set it up? Using the webUI? Its it running on port 8080 or port 80?
Have you used  System->Network->inetd->Configure->httpd tochange the default httpd ports?
If inetd can't open one of the ports specified in its configuration file, then it might bailout.

  I can still access all my files

That is Samba responsibility, which is launched independently of inetd.

and the drive (including the attached alt-f.log).  I noticed the posts on this same issue with the 323 and attaching a USB drive, but my 321 doesn't have a USB drive.

I also was going to try the 20 second power button hold, but after doing so nothing happens,

Doesn't the amber leds blink when you press either the front or the back button? Have you read the "About Leds and Buttons" wiki?
Please do, as understanding if the front and back buttons works as expected is crucial.

PS: the sysctrl process, which is responsibly by leds and buttons, was running at startup, has you stopped or disable it?

so I was wondering if the 321's power button behaves differently?

Shouldn't. According to the DNS-321 users report, see the "So I flashed Alt-F to a DNS-321... :)" topic, everything was performing OK... I don't have a 321 myself.

What hardware version is your 321? rev-A1/A2 or something else? It looks like the label in the box bottom  doesn't agree with the rev printed in the inner board...

I have access to my file, but I'd love to get access back to the webpage asap.

Do you have a spare disk you can attach to the box? Or an available linux computer where you could attach the present box?

Thanks!

Daniel Weston

May 19, 2013, 7:23:01 PM5/19/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Well, I feel stupid.  I wouldn't post this other than to help other people not fall for the same mistake that I did.  :) So since I have the DNS-321 every time I read the documentation I was reading the "back" button as referring to a button similar to a internet browser "back" button, never realizing that it was referring to the button located on the back of the device, the "reset" button.  The whole time I figured that my 321 was missing a button.  I know, I know, having a "back" button doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, after pressing the back button for over 10 seconds I was able to telnet into the device and start inetd by typing the following command:

rcinetd start # start the inetd super-server

I then logged into the web interface and re-enabled inetd, restarted the device and everything is working again.  I think that I could have just changed the file itself, but since virtually every configuration file is editable through the web interface I decided it was better (safer?) to change it through that even though it meant I had to take a few extra steps.  Thank you so much for this ability!

Here are the answers to your other questions:

You have lighttpd running, how do you set it up? Using the webUI? Its it running on port 8080 or port 80?
Have you used  System->Network->inetd->Configure->httpd tochange the default httpd ports?
If inetd can't open one of the ports specified in its configuration file, then it might bailout.

Yes, I changed the port to 8080.  I think the problem stemmed from an accidental disabling of the inetd service.  I was trying to restart the services to get the FTP users working and I must have disabled the inetd service.

PS: Have you hand-edited any configuration files? Have you "Boot Disable"  inetd  under Services->System?
Edited inetd.conf?

Like I mentioned above, I made it a point to not edit any of the files manually since you've essentially created a GUI for it.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and thanks for your help!

On Friday, May 17, 2013 1:29:10 PM UTC-7, João Cardoso wrote:

[...]

João Cardoso

May 21, 2013, 12:21:12 PM5/21/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, May 20, 2013 12:23:01 AM UTC+1, Daniel Weston wrote:
[...]

Thanks for reporting back and helping others. The 'back' button should be called 'reset' button (but it is not really a reset button, it is a generic purpose button)

There are some hardware details that I would like to know if they are working, as I don't have a 321 to experiment myself.

-Does the leds and hardware buttons work as described in the About Leds and Button wiki? i.e., they shortly flash in orange when the disks are spindow (and the power button turns on/off), they flash when the front or back hw button are pressed,
-Does the box powers-off and reboot?
-Does the fan and temperature works as described? use Services->System->sysctrl->Configure to change its behavior, but *don't* disable the "Enable Recovery" checkbox -- that is the one that allowed you to use the reset button to telnet the box.
-What is your hardware revision box? The box bottom label says it (and if you ever open the box, try to read the hardware board revision level)

Does the 321 has the possibility to use D-Link distributed add-ons? Do you know if they are installed on disk?
Even if that is possible it is only under D-Link firmware, you can't use them under Alt-F.
The reason why I ask this is because there are 4MB of flash memory not currently in use in Alt-F, and I don't know if the D-Link firmware uses that extra flash memory partition for any purpose.

Thanks,
Joao

hal...@gmail.com

May 26, 2013, 2:47:08 PM5/26/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:21:12 AM UTC-5, João Cardoso wrote:

There are some hardware details that I would like to know if they are working, as I don't have a 321 to experiment myself.

-Does the leds and hardware buttons work as described in the About Leds and Button wiki? i.e., they shortly flash in orange when the disks are spindow (and the power button turns on/off), they flash when the front or back hw button are pressed,

With only 1 drive in right slot, amber LED blinks slowly when drive has spun down.

With front button depressed after 3 to 4 seconds, right amber LED blinks 6 times then left amber LED blinks 6 times.

With rear button depressed after 2 to 3 seconds both amber LEDs blink.

-Does the box powers-off and reboot?

Front button depressed and released when right amber LED is blinking causes a reboot.

Front button depressed and released when left amber LED is blinking causes a shutdown.

Did not test script functions or recovery options of rear button as no scripts in place and not yet ready to reset anything.

-Does the fan and temperature works as described? use Services->System->sysctrl->Configure to change its behavior, but *don't* disable the "Enable Recovery" checkbox -- that is the one that allowed you to use the reset button to telnet the box.

Checking sysctl->Configure shows:

System Temperature / Fan Speed relationship Fan Off Temp. 38°C
Low Fan Speed Temp. 45°C

While checking the status page during install of Debian and 3TB drive install it seems the fan comes on at 40C (lower that the above) and goes off at 38C (same as above).

Haven't heard it at full speed other than when box is powered on.

-What is your hardware revision box? The box bottom label says it (and if you ever open the box, try to read the hardware board revision level)

Box sticker states A2.  Inside board screen printed A1 with 'flash chip*' having A2 silkscreen print on it.

Does the 321 has the possibility to use D-Link distributed add-ons? Do you know if they are installed on disk?
Even if that is possible it is only under D-Link firmware, you can't use them under Alt-F.
The reason why I ask this is because there are 4MB of flash memory not currently in use in Alt-F, and I don't know if the D-Link firmware uses that extra flash memory partition for any purpose.

Bought this one used without hard drives.  Don't know what might be remaining in flash after installing RC3 to flash.

Thanks,
Joao

* Flash chip is not same manufacture as the one seen mentioned in another post.  Perhaps it is the same type however.
SPANSION - S29GL128N11TF101 - 'DNS321...A2C' silkscreen on the top