[ALTF - Theme] If you want to try a custom theme for the Alt-F web interface... it's here

Daniele Strollo

Nov 4, 2016, 12:52:25 PM11/4/16
to Alt-F
Hi all,
i don't know if here is the right section where to contribute with custom patches but let's say that I prepared a custom theme for the web gui for my self and I supposed it was appreciated the sharing of it.

The attached file (modern_thm.tgz) is a set of js and css for giving a different interface.

To install it you just need to execute from the raid shell

cd /usr/www
tar -zxvf modern_thm.tgz

and go to System->Utilities->Theme and choose modern :)

Cheers,
  Daniele
modern_thm.tgz

Fabricio Araujo

Nov 8, 2016, 5:01:25 PM11/8/16
to Alt-F
Good job

Bryan Popka

Nov 9, 2016, 10:28:16 AM11/9/16
to Alt-F
Thanks for sharing! Would someone mind posting screen captures of what the theme looks like? That way we all can decide if we like the look before installing.

Daniele Strollo

Nov 9, 2016, 11:14:53 AM11/9/16
to Alt-F

Here it is!

Daniele Strollo

Nov 9, 2016, 11:19:55 AM11/9/16
to Alt-F
Icons can be chosen from the fontawesome list

Consider that the embedded fontawesome lib is older so there will be some of them missing (I'll update ASAP)

- How to customize icons???

Edit the file /usr/www/scripts/modern/modern.js in the code block (for each section its related icon :D):

function getIconFromLabel(mnuLbl) {

/* TODO */

switch (mnuLbl) {

case 'Status' : return 'fa-ambulance';

case 'Shortcuts' : return 'fa-external-link';

case 'Setup': return 'fa-briefcase';

case 'Disk': return 'fa-database';

case 'Services': return 'fa-cogs';

case 'Packages': return 'fa-tachometer';

case 'System': return 'fa-desktop';

case 'Logout': return 'fa-chain-broken';

}

return 'fa-user'
}

Christopher Matuszak

Feb 16, 2017, 5:02:41 PM2/16/17
to Alt-F
Why is this not default theme?? I love it!

Daniele Strollo

Feb 17, 2017, 4:33:34 AM2/17/17
to Alt-F
Thanks a lot :)

TheCoolDude

Mar 12, 2017, 12:58:36 PM3/12/17
to al...@googlegroups.com

Hello Daniele.

Just wanted to thank for this great theme.  I just installed it on RC6 and it look very good.

The only bug I could find was the top menu will not appear when selected.  Not a big deal as I prefer the side menu.

The only thing I would recommend is to re-upload your package as a zip file containing the modern folder and modern.thm file.

I needed to do this in order to get it to upload through the System utilities.

Cheer!

Daniele Strollo

Mar 13, 2017, 5:11:56 AM3/13/17
to Alt-F
Hi Jaen,
  happy to hear that someone found the theme useful.

I'm running the RC5 firmware so I had to way to check the issues in the new release.
I'm planning anyway to upgrade ASAP but in the meanwhile if you can provide a screenshot to better describe the issue I'll give a look.

Here is how it appears in my release.

Daniele

Il giorno domenica 12 marzo 2017 17:58:36 UTC+1, TheCoolDude ha scritto:
Hello Daniele.

Just wanted to thank for this great theme.  I just installed it on RC6 and it look very good.

The only bug I could find was the top menu will not appear when selected.  Not a big deal as I prefer the side menu.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Daniele Strollo

Mar 14, 2017, 9:32:15 AM3/14/17
to Alt-F

In the meanwhile a new gray based theme available.....

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Daniele Strollo

Mar 14, 2017, 12:09:20 PM3/14/17
to al...@googlegroups.com

And finally .... on github...

Installation instruction inside ;)

Contributions are welcome

K Robert

Mar 22, 2017, 9:12:35 AM3/22/17
to Alt-F
Hello,
I'm trying to install you're theme (in ssh console as root), but at the command: git clone https://github.com/strollo/altf_theme.git modern, i'm getting the error : -sh: git: not found
Any advise?

I'm on RC6

daniele strollo

Mar 22, 2017, 9:31:25 AM3/22/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
Yes.
You need to install git before doing that.

You can do that with web interface in the Packages section otherwise through console by executing command:
ipkg install git

And that's all.
  Daniele

K Robert

Mar 22, 2017, 9:36:19 AM3/22/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Yes, i got it working, you're right, the git repositories where not installed.
In you're readme, i found a mistake, the corect command for copy the theme file is:

 cp modern/modern.thm modern.thm

I managed to install you're theme , and it looks really good. Keep up the good work
I haven't tried yet to reboot the NAS , to see if the theme remains installed (i had this problem before)

daniele strollo

Mar 22, 2017, 9:46:22 AM3/22/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the advice.
Anyway if you intend the mistake in command

  cp modern/modern.thm .

the dot (.) at the end stays for keep the same name so it's equivalent to your command.
But thanks.

Now if you want to try the dark theme that I prefer, go into theme dir and switch branch to dark so execute these two lines:
  cd /usr/www/scripts
  git checkout dark

and refresh browser :D

  Daniele

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 2:36 PM, K Robert <robe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hellon,
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to alt-f+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

daniele strollo

Mar 22, 2017, 9:52:13 AM3/22/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the mistake the commands are:
  cd /usr/www/scripts/modern
  git checkout dark

K Robert

Mar 22, 2017, 9:55:35 AM3/22/17
to Alt-F
I'm getting an error...

[root@DNS320]# cd /usr/www/scripts
[root@DNS320]# git checkout dark
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

daniele strollo

Mar 22, 2017, 10:09:51 AM3/22/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
my fault wrong directory

write

cd /usr/www/scripts/modern

and then

git checkout dark

michael aramini

May 3, 2017, 2:34:55 PM5/3/17
to Alt-F
Bonjour, d'abord merci pour votre theme et votre travail.

je l'ai installer avec la command suivante scp /home/ubuntu/modern_thm.tgz ro...@192.168.100.27:/usr/www
puis tar -zxvf modern_thm.tgz
mais chez moi (sur le Nas DNS320RevA1) en RC-6 Alt-f il est incomplet pouvez vous m'aider a optenir le menu sur la gauche car je n'ai que la page central. d'autre on ce probleme ?
qu'ai-fait de faut ? merci pour votre aide. Michael

Bonjour, d'abord merci pour votre thème et votre travail.

Je l'ai installeur avec le programme suivant scp /home/ubuntu/modern_thm.tgz ro...@192.168.100.27: / usr / www
Puis tar -zxvf modern_thm.tgz
Mais chez moi (sur le Nas DNS320RevA1) en RC-6 Alt-f il est incomplète vous pouvez m'aider un optenir le menu sur la gauche voiture je n'ai que la page central. D'autre sur ce probleme?
Qu'ai-fait de faut? Merci pour votre aide. Michael

image de l'aperçu :

Daniele Strollo

May 4, 2017, 4:22:06 AM5/4/17
to Alt-F
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1 - connect in ssh on your nas

> ssh root@<...NAS-IP...>

2 - be sure git is installed on it

ipkg update
> ipkg install git

3 - get theme from github

> cd /usr/www/scripts
> cp modern/modern.thm modern.thm

4 - OPTIONALLY

If you want to switch to DARK theme write

> cd /usr/www/scripts/modern
> git checkout dark

And that's all ;)

  Daniele

michael aramini

May 4, 2017, 7:23:12 AM5/4/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
Ok thanks I will test and I leave another message if work for me thanks for your work

Rolf Pedersen

May 4, 2017, 11:32:30 AM5/4/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your work, Daniele, your instructions worked fine for my DNS-323.
ISTR the top menu was a deferred project, for you, and I wonder if you still plan to make it, or if I missed it.
Rolf

daniele strollo

May 4, 2017, 11:42:15 AM5/4/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for appreciating my work.
If I have well understood I prefer to have a top horizontal menu in place of left vertical one.

If so ... no never planned to do that but it should require no much effort at all.

This was just the style i preferred.

Now that it is on github
https://github.com/strollo/altf_theme.git

it is also community driven :)

  Daniele

Rolf Pedersen

May 4, 2017, 11:53:34 AM5/4/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you are correct!  Thanks.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Alt-F" group.

kKimmell

May 5, 2017, 8:29:25 AM5/5/17
to Alt-F
Is there a trick to getting the theme to survive reboots? I've saved settings but upon reboot it's back to default and the theme option isn't even on the dropdown any more.

daniele strollo

May 5, 2017, 8:37:04 AM5/5/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
The problem is not in the theme itself but on where it is stored.

Since Alt-F at each reboot takes a "skeleton image" and copies the files in the /usr/... it depends on where and how you have installed Alt-F itself

Daniele

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 2:29 PM, kKimmell <kevki...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a trick to getting the theme to survive reboots? I've saved settings but upon reboot it's back to default and the theme option isn't even on the dropdown any more.

kKimmell

May 5, 2017, 9:12:50 AM5/5/17
to Alt-F

On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 8:37:04 AM UTC-4, Daniele Strollo wrote:
The problem is not in the theme itself but on where it is stored.

Since Alt-F at each reboot takes a "skeleton image" and copies the files in the /usr/... it depends on where and how you have installed Alt-F itself

Daniele

So if I installed Alt-F the "usual way" and in /mnt/md0/Alt-F/ what steps do I need to take? I considered a script from cron to re-git and copy but there must be a simpler way...

João Cardoso

May 5, 2017, 12:14:05 PM5/5/17
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, 5 May 2017 14:12:50 UTC+1, kKimmell wrote:

On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 8:37:04 AM UTC-4, Daniele Strollo wrote:
The problem is not in the theme itself but on where it is stored.

Since Alt-F at each reboot takes a "skeleton image" and copies the files in the /usr/... it depends on where and how you have installed Alt-F itself

Daniele

So if I installed Alt-F the "usual way" and in /mnt/md0/Alt-F/ what steps do I need to take?

In RC6, the Theme upload and install script does:

THM_DIR=/usr/www/scripts
aufs.sh -n
mkdir -p /Alt-F/$THM_DIR
aufs.sh -r

to make the theme installable on disk and persistent across reboots

But for themes to be accepted the zip file must follow some simple rules:

-The zip filename must be the same as the theme name, so file "foobar.zip" will contain a "foobar" theme
-the only allowed contents of the zip file are a <theme>.thm (foobar.thm) file and a folder named <theme> (foobar) containing all theme support files.

I considered a script from cron to re-git and copy but there must be a simpler way...

IMO, having to install and run git only to get a theme is... modern, but not practical (said the old men ;-)

michael aramini

May 7, 2017, 10:18:58 AM5/7/17
to Alt-F
Hello, thankx for dark theme and work. but on my dns-320-rev:a1 with rc6 alt-f the left menu not show is show original theme.

i have installed from new git and the dark switch ok, but no left menu

why ? you can help me please ?

see screenshot:

daniele strollo

May 8, 2017, 3:38:54 AM5/8/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
There are two possibile reasons:
1 - browser cache (easy to check if you refresh opportunely the page or use another browser). So please try this!
2 - in the rc6 nodes in the menu are using a different class/id in the tags and I never noticed this problem since I'm still on rc5 in this case I have to upgrade firmware and check again.

Daniele

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Pierre GUILHEM

Nov 9, 2017, 4:33:21 AM11/9/17
to Alt-F
Hi,

Very nice, thank you for this theme ;-)

PG

Joaquim Monteiro

May 14, 2019, 9:54:38 AM5/14/19
to Alt-F
I'm having issues with the installation steps
Can you please help me out? thanks.

[root@SERVER]# ipkg update
Updated list of available packages in /usr/lib/ipkg/lists/feed_1
Updated list of available packages in /usr/lib/ipkg/lists/feed_2
Successfully terminated.
[root@SERVER]# ipkg install git
Installing git (2.4.2-1) to /Alt-F...
Installing perl (5.16.0-4) to /Alt-F...
Nothing to be done
An error ocurred, return value: 22.
Collected errors:
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 3: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-ZqmqcN https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/alt-f/pkgs/unstable/perl_5.16.0-4_arm.ipk'
Failed to download perl. Perhaps you need to run 'ipkg update'?

Daniele Strollo

May 14, 2019, 10:01:58 AM5/14/19
to Alt-F
From logs you posted the problem was during installation of git, or more precisely of its dependency perl-5.6

While trying to get perl with this instruction

tried on my pc and this instruction is working probably it was not reachable for a while. Try again to reinstall git.

 Daniele

Daniele Strollo

May 14, 2019, 10:27:46 AM5/14/19
to al...@googlegroups.com
Otherwise if you cannot find any solution to install git on the machine try with manual install.

These three lines will replace the git part (so you will no more need to install git) mentioned before....

> cd /usr/www/scripts
> unzip master.zip
> mv altf_theme-master modern

in place of....
cd /usr/www/scripts

Message has been deleted

daniele strollo

May 17, 2019, 11:11:12 AM5/17/19
to al...@googlegroups.com
That's because you forget to unzip the file.
After wget you have to execute unzip master.zip

You did
[root@SERVER]# cd /usr/www/scripts
[root@SERVER]# wget ...
### HERE IS MISSING unzip master.zip that will extract the content of altf_theme-master folder
[root@SERVER]# mv altf_theme-master modern

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 1:38 AM Joaquim Monteiro <quim.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for your prompt reply, however its still not working..

[root@SERVER]# cd /usr/www/scripts
Resolving github.com... 140.82.118.3
Connecting to github.com|140.82.118.3|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Resolving codeload.github.com... 192.30.253.120
Connecting to codeload.github.com|192.30.253.120|:443... connected.
Length: unspecified [application/zip]
Saving to: 'master.zip'

master.zip                        [    <=>                                           ] 528.29K   717KB/s    in 0.7s

2019-05-14 16:16:13 (717 KB/s) - 'master.zip' saved [540974]

[root@SERVER]# mv altf_theme-master modern
mv: can't rename 'altf_theme-master': No such file or directory