why does every time both hdds spin up?!

Peter

Oct 20, 2016, 12:19:51 AM10/20/16
to Alt-F

Hello,

i upgrade my system with 2x4TB HDDs and make a update to 0.1RC5.

sda2 is my Stuff HDD and sdb2 is my Backup HDD. I start a Backup with cronjob once a month. So i have two separate HDDs (no RAID).
All Alt-F package are on sda2 installed. All works fine.

Now i have the Problem that every time both HDDs spin up. For example:
I connect with Samba on a sda2 folder but sdb2 starts also. Now i delete my Share Volume from sdb2, so there is only one share volume on sda2 but also sdb2 spin up every time when i connect to sda2.

The same problem is when i connect to the Alt-F WebGUI. I Connect to http://192.168.0.xx and both HDDs startet.

Now i setup a umount and standby command with SSH every 2 days with cronjob.

umount -l /dev/sdb2
hdparm -y /dev/sdb2

After this, the HDD is not mountet in the WebGUI but it starts also when i connect to sda2!?

On RC4 my backup volume (sdb2) starts only once a month. Now the lifetime of my Backup HDD could be lowered.

Can anybody help me?
Which information you need?

Modell:
Conceptronic CH3SNAS
Firmware: 0.1 RC5
HDD: 2x4 TB --> ext4

Thank you!!!
Peter
1.JPG
KernelLog.log
SystemConf.log
SystemLog.log

João Cardoso

Oct 20, 2016, 4:31:55 PM10/20/16
to Alt-F

On Thursday, 20 October 2016 05:19:51 UTC+1, Peter wrote:

Hello,

i upgrade my system with 2x4TB HDDs and make a update to 0.1RC5.

sda2 is my Stuff HDD and sdb2 is my Backup HDD. I start a Backup with cronjob once a month. So i have two separate HDDs (no RAID).
All Alt-F package are on sda2 installed. All works fine.

Now i have the Problem that every time both HDDs spin up. For example:
I connect with Samba on a sda2 folder but sdb2 starts also. Now i delete my Share Volume from sdb2, so there is only one share volume on sda2 but also sdb2 spin up every time when i connect to sda2.

Can it be because swap is being used? You can change each disk swap priority in RC5, Disk->Utilities, Swap Pri. By default both are identical, you can try lower the priority of the swap on sdb or even disable it (it should exists, even if not active, just in case the other disk is not present or fails and a fsck needs to be done on sdb)

The same problem is when i connect to the Alt-F WebGUI. I Connect to http://192.168.0.xx and both HDDs startet.

That is expected, as to display disk/filesystems data the drive might have to be read and spins-up

Now i setup a umount and standby command with SSH every 2 days with cronjob.

umount -l /dev/sdb2
hdparm -y /dev/sdb2

After this, the HDD is not mountet in the WebGUI but it starts also when i connect to sda2!?

swap. its independent of filesystems.

Peter

Oct 24, 2016, 2:38:29 PM10/24/16
to Alt-F
WOW!!!

Thank you so mutch.
dis. swap solved my problems.

thank you!!!

Michal Goralski

Jan 7, 2018, 10:56:02 AM1/7/18
to Alt-F
Peter,

can you ell me how you achieved this i would like too to make secondary hdd as my backup disk, and only sda to be primary dis when i store all 'production data'
(im not linux user :))