Recently upgarde from WD 8TB Red to 12TB Seagate Ironwolf problem

extraordinarytypes

Aug 1, 2021, 11:51:14 AM8/1/21
to Alt-F
Hello, I have a D-link DNS-327L. Recently I decided to change the drives from 8TB WD Red to 12TB Seagate Ironwolf. Since there is no easy way to just enlarge the raid partition, I just copied data, change the drives, and then install the new hard drives. After I copied back the information, I noticed that there were some problems with the unit. For example, it did not restart, I was unable to shutdown via the web page. With my little experience I checked the logs, but nothing suspicious came out. The only problem was that the smartmontools was not able to identify the hard drive, So my question is:Is there an way to update the alt+f package of smartmontools from 6.6 to 7.2 ? I do not know if this will fix the problem, but I can try...
Thank you again.

Tom Schmidt

Aug 1, 2021, 12:08:02 PM8/1/21
to al...@googlegroups.com
I have also seen the issue of the DNS-327L system not being able to shutdown or reboot from the web UI or command line.  This started happening after recent package updates a few weeks ago.  My DNS-323 shutdown and reboot commands work fine with the same recent package updates.  I have not had time to dig into the issue, nor do I know what specific package affected the shutdown and reboot commands.

I know that this does not answer your question about smartmontools, but now I know that another DNS-327L is also having the same shutdown/reboot issue as mine.

Tom

On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 9:51 AM extraordinarytypes <extraordi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, I have a D-link DNS-327L. Recently I decided to change the drives from 8TB WD Red to 12TB Seagate Ironwolf. Since there is no easy way to just enlarge the raid partition, I just copied data, change the drives, and then install the new hard drives. After I copied back the information, I noticed that there were some problems with the unit. For example, it did not restart, I was unable to shutdown via the web page. With my little experience I checked the logs, but nothing suspicious came out. The only problem was that the smartmontools was not able to identify the hard drive, So my question is:Is there an way to update the alt+f package of smartmontools from 6.6 to 7.2 ? I do not know if this will fix the problem, but I can try...
Thank you again.

extraordinarytypes

Aug 1, 2021, 12:55:28 PM8/1/21
to Alt-F
Hello,
Thank you for the reply. It is very interesting observation, because, when I upgarded the drives, I installed all the Alt+F default packages, and I updateted it. So, I will try this. I will stop the services, delete ALT+F packages, installed it again, but I will not update it. I will write down the results.

extraordinarytypes

Aug 1, 2021, 3:54:58 PM8/1/21
to Alt-F
Maybe I come figure it out. It was the "alt-f-utils" package. When it is updated to 0.1.11 the DNS-327L is unable to restart/power off via the web interface. Maybe it is the combination of the 3 DNS-32lL, al-f-utils 1.0.11 and the Seagate Ironwolf. I don't know, but I am pretty sure that I update it before (with the WD 8TB Red abd there were not such an issue. Still it's a workoaround, but it will be very useful to be able to update smartmon tools, to be able to control the power savings of the drives.
Best,

João Cardoso

Aug 9, 2021, 12:34:43 PM8/9/21
to Alt-F
Thanks to narrowing it down to alt-f-utils. The culprit is the dns320l-daemon, responsable to communicate with the chip that actually does the power down and other house-keeping, such as reading the temperature, setting the fan speed, blink the LEDs, etc. It is also used in the DNS-320L.
I believe there is some conflict between the flashed and the updated binary, not sure what.
In any case, the issue can be solved by using the following in the user boot script (Services->User, user, Configure, "Script to execute on powerup:", at the start section, in red bellow:

#!/bin/sh

# Script to execute as the root user at boot time.
# You can loose your data or make the system inaccessible
# if using the wrong commands. You have been warned!

exec >> /var/log/user.log 2>&1

case "$1" in
       start)
               echo "Starting $0"
               while ! killall -0 dns320l-daemon; do usleep 100000; done
               killall dns320l-daemon

               ;;
       stop)
               echo "Stopping $0"
               ;;
esac

Save the user boot script in the same filesystem that has the Alt-F packages. Tested on a DNS-327L.

James Kircher

Aug 9, 2021, 1:11:50 PM8/9/21
to al...@googlegroups.com

Tom Schmidt

Aug 9, 2021, 4:11:25 PM8/9/21
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, João, this fixed the reboot and poweroff issue on the DNS-327L that I had with the recent alt-f-utils package update.

Tom

mk360

Aug 25, 2021, 6:46:02 PM8/25/21
to al...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I followed the instructions provided here, and now I can see the script stored on the filesystem of alt-f, but I can't shutdown the box.

I think I forget to save the settings but how can I see what scripts are starting at boot time? when I enter again on the user service nothing is listed, it is a signal to know I effectively don't saved anything?

Thanks,

mk.

João Cardoso

Aug 26, 2021, 10:40:44 AM8/26/21
to Alt-F
On Wednesday, August 25, 2021 at 11:46:02 PM UTC+1 mk360 wrote:

Hi,

I followed the instructions provided here, and now I can see the script stored on the filesystem of alt-f, but I can't shutdown the box.

I think I forget to save the settings

You have to save. The script pathname is stored in /etc/misc.conf, which by itself is stored in flash memory. Mine, e.g., says: USER_SCRIPT="/mnt/sdb3/startup.sh"
That script is executed when the user init script is executed, which is enabled by default.

but how can I see what scripts are starting at boot time?

Services->(any one)  the "Boot Enabled" checkbox is checked.
Additionally, the user boot script execution is logged at /var/log/user.log. You can examine it directly or using the webUI, System->Utilities, View Logs.

when I enter again on the user service nothing is listed, it is a signal to know I effectively don't saved anything?

Yes

mk360

Aug 26, 2021, 8:16:37 PM8/26/21
to al...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

El 26/08/2021 a las 10:40, João Cardoso escribió:

(...)

Services->(any one)  the "Boot Enabled" checkbox is checked.
Additionally, the user boot script execution is logged at /var/log/user.log. You can examine it directly or using the webUI, System->Utilities, View Logs.

First of all, thanks for your help, I verified /etc/misc.conf and the script is listed here.

However, I do a more /var/log/user.log and it doesn't exist, same when I use ls there.

Regards,

mk.

João Cardoso

Aug 27, 2021, 2:07:23 PM8/27/21
to Alt-F
On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 1:16:37 AM UTC+1 mk360 wrote:

Hi,

El 26/08/2021 a las 10:40, João Cardoso escribió:

(...)

Services->(any one)  the "Boot Enabled" checkbox is checked.
Additionally, the user boot script execution is logged at /var/log/user.log. You can examine it directly or using the webUI, System->Utilities, View Logs.

First of all, thanks for your help, I verified /etc/misc.conf and the script is listed here.

Then, if it exists, the "Script to execute on powerup:" entry should be filled with it, and hitting the "Edit" button should allow you to edit it. If that does not happens, then the script pathname is incorrectly setup. Try the followings command:

. /etc/misc.conf
ls $USER_SCRIPT

in my case it prints /mnt/sdb3/startup.sh

The /var/log/user.log  log is created when the script executes. Its contents depends on the user script.

I recommend you to do a fresh start, supplying a correct path and script name, and editing the default script using the webUI.

BTW, everybody knows that pressing the power button for a few seconds will deploy a poweroff (or a reboot, it depends on the box model and the time that the power button is pressed), right?

Alex Khroustalev

Apr 15, 2022, 3:14:01 PM4/15/22
to 'Evan Venn' via Alt-F
Missed this post initially since my DNS-327L had more than two years uptime.

Didn’t know it was alt-f-utils related, I just started killing processes that seemed odd to me. Killing the following allows the box to poweroff/reboot properly:

killall hwclock
killall adjtime

Alex

Flex

Nov 24, 2022, 1:26:21 PM11/24/22
to Alt-F
Sounds great, but I can't figure out the path.
It says "You have to input the full pathname of the script".
But I have no clue - it is not the /etc/misc.conf.

Flex

Mar 2, 2023, 6:40:05 PM3/2/23
to Alt-F
Any idea what to do? The box still is not shutting down

Roberto Ribes

Mar 3, 2023, 1:46:17 AM3/3/23
to Alt-F
I have problems starting user services and I copied from wiki one command to wait to packages being loaded before trying to execute them.
Maybe it only happens with slow boxes like mine (DNS323 REV C1) but, for me, it solves the problem starting daemons like "cacert, transmission or minidlna"

#!/bin/sh

# Script to execute as the root user at boot time.
# You can loose your data or make the system inaccessible
# if using the wrong commands. You have been warned!

exec >> /var/log/user.log 2>&1

case "$1" in
       start)
               echo "Starting $0"
               # Waiting for Alt-F packages to be available
               echo -n "Waiting for Alt-F packages to be available:"
               while ! aufs.sh -s >& /dev/null; do
                   echo -n '.'
                   sleep 1
               done