No access after reboot...

Arno Kron

Mar 11, 2013, 7:19:37 AM3/11/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

First thanks a lot of the work done here! I was hopping that firmware could help me but apparently I am facing an issue :) I am not discouraged !
I have a DNS-323 REVC1, stock FW 0.8 upgraded to 1.10.
Here after what I did:
I installed fun_plug in the past (on top of DLINK FW), working OK.
I renamed all ffp and fun_plug executables and put on the root Alt-F-0.1RC2.tar and the fun_plug downloaded with Alt-F (so installed on top of DLINK FW).
I rebooted the box manually to get it available THOUGH I have the following symptoms:
- front blue light blinking then stable, seems ok
- I can ping my previous static IP of the box while botting, then suddently -I guess when alt-f is handing over- no IP ping anymore
- I tried to ping my static IP > KO, looked at DHCP lease > not declared in there, tried to ping 192.168.1.254 till .230 > KO
- I tried to stop the NAS by pressing long time the front button (more than 30sec) > never stopping; only hard stopping is working by removing the physical cable
- I tried to "reset" by pressing during more than 2min the back button > the NAS does not reboot nor change anything
- When I reboot electrically multiple times the box, the same applies
- When I remove the 2x1.5TB disks & reboot (so by default a way to remove alt-f), the NAS reboots and I got access to my previous static IP and the DLINK portal is working fine

So I do not know why alt-f does not seem to boot the NAS fine, and I am a bit stucked as I cannot get back to my data on the disk (which I guess are still there :) )

First do you have any idea what could happen, meaning why the NAS does not seem to load appropriately alt-f?
Do Any idea on how to fix that? Is there a way to prevent the NAS from loading alt-f at the boot?
I assume I will need to browse the disks with another NAS and to remove the alt-f files manually, not sure if that is feasible...?

Thanks!

Joao Cardoso

Mar 11, 2013, 10:51:20 AM3/11/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, March 11, 2013 11:19:37 AM UTC, Arno Kron wrote:
[...]

This is the best test to see if Alt-F is running. If it is, then the front amber leds should start blinking (but read the About Buttons And Leds wiki)

- When I reboot electrically multiple times the box, the same applies

Then D-Link 1.10 fw is executing the fun_plug script on every reboot, even if it has not the execute bits set.
The fun_plug script has a feature that disables itself after the first run, to prevent the endless reboots when it fails loading, but it assumes that the script is not run if it is not the executable

- When I remove the 2x1.5TB disks & reboot (so by default a way to remove alt-f), the NAS reboots and I got access to my previous static IP and the DLINK portal is working fine

So I do not know why alt-f does not seem to boot the NAS fine, and I am a bit stucked as I cannot get back to my data on the disk (which I guess are still there :) )

Yes it is.

First do you have any idea what could happen, meaning why the NAS does not seem to load appropriately alt-f?

"run on top"/reloaded sometimes fails. Everything else being equal, the only difference being the disk, it seems that it success depends on data layout on the disk (other know reasons are the instalation of D-Link addons)

Do Any idea on how to fix that? Is there a way to prevent the NAS from loading alt-f at the boot?
I assume I will need to browse the disks with another NAS and to remove the alt-f files manually, not sure if that is feasible...?

You have several possibilities:
1-connect the disk on your desktop computer and remove the fun_plug file.
  -If you are using MS-Windows you have to install a program (ext2 something) that gives you access to the data
  -if you have access to a linux computer, just plug the disk
 or
2-Install another disk, even older,  on the box on the right bay (if I'm not wrong). The fun_plug will not be found and not executed.
or
3-Remove the disk and Flash Alt-F from within D-Link firmware upgrade page.

Alt-F is now mature enough, there is no risk doing this, and you can flash back the D-Link fw using Alt-F Firmware Upgrade page.

Thanks!

Roan

Mar 11, 2013, 5:17:34 PM3/11/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for your quick & efficient feedback!

I finally have everything setup properly by flashing the NAS with alt-f. It is working like a charm (after 2h of disk checking to get my main partition back) and I have been able to configure it quickly & properly, many thanks!

Looking now how to install additional packages like DLNA & DAAP servers... Did not find out how to do so far but I am digging into that :)

Many thanks again!

2013/3/11 Joao Cardoso <whoami...@gmail.com>

Thanks!