SMB1 & 2

Warren Quin

Mar 26, 2024, 3:22:26 PMMar 26
to Alt-F
I have both of these selected (internal home devices only). I have lately been fooling around with BigLinux (manjaro based) as my first serious attempt to let Window go except for work.
This requires me to change the "client min protocol" from smb2 to smb1 in the BigLinux Samba SMB.conf. to get Dolphin to access shares on the 2 DNS-323's and the DNS-320L. I would have thought that having both would not need this. Does anybody habe any idea why?

Thanks

Dimitrios G. Panagiotidis

Mar 29, 2024, 2:35:06 PMMar 29
to Alt-F
I do not use Linux as my main, daily computer so I wouldn't know. But with Windows 7 and 10, after extensive testing I can confidently say that at a minimum I need SMB2 checked to be able to connect in Windows > Network to an Alt-F share. Now, with only SMB2, nothing will initially show in Windows but the share is there and will be accessed if the path is correctly typed in Explorer's search bar. Then it will stay there until the user logs-off or reboots the PC, at which point it has ...disappeared and the process has to be repeated, but it's a better idea to map the share to a letter drive and it will then survive a log-off/restart. Now if SMB1 is also selected, the share will automatically show up in  Windows > Network AND survive a log-off/restart. Again, I dual boot Win7 and Win10 and this is my experience (with both SMB1 and 2 selected in Alt-F).

João Cardoso

Mar 30, 2024, 1:06:03 PMMar 30
to Alt-F
SMB1, in addition to file and printer serving, also provides network and share browsing.
SMB2 does not provide network or share browsing. Perhaps for that MS introduced "web service discovery" at the same time that it introduced SMB2 with win-vista.
"web service discovery" in linux is implemented by wsdd2 (Web Service Discovery Daemon), and although not strictly necessary, it is convenient for windows users using File Explorer to have it running in linux together with Samba when SMB1 is not enabled.

Thus, a Samba/SMB1 server is only needed for win-XP and previous, and wsdd2 is needed if SMB1 is disabled.

I believe that having SMB1 enabled on a linux server (Alt-F) is not dangerous, as well as enabling SMB1 (the client only!) in windows. However, one has to be aware of hackers apprentices, that create variants of know virus based on known vulnerabilities. So, why take the risk enabling the SMB1 client on windows and Samba server, when Samba/SMB2 with wsdd2 is the right thing to do?

From the wsdd2 site:

With Microsoft turning off SMB1 feature completely on Windows 10, any Samba shares on the local network become invisible to Windows 10 computers. That's due to the fact that SMB1 is required for Computer Browser service to function.

Newer Windows systems can use WSD (Web Services for Devices) to discover shares hosted on other Windows computers while Linux systems normally utilize mNDS/DNS-SD for service discovery. Microsoft is moving to support mDNS/DNS-SD, but not yet there.

The primary purpose of this project is to enable WSD on Samba servers so that network shares hosted on a Unix box can appear in Windows File Explorer / Network.

Installing packages in Alt-F has two know issues: one when the Alt-F folder is on a greater then 2TB filesystem, the other with server SSL certificate expiration,  both covered under other topics.

Warren Quin

Mar 31, 2024, 10:04:36 AMMar 31
to Alt-F
Thanks for that.... It clears up a "what?"  :-)

Brian Golek

Apr 1, 2024, 10:11:04 PMApr 1
to Alt-F
What issues does Alt-F have on drives bigger than 2TB?  I was thinking of upgrading my 2TB drives.  If I want to use SMB2 only then I would need the wsdd2 package, correct?

Tom Schmidt

Apr 2, 2024, 12:35:48 AMApr 2
to al...@googlegroups.com
Alt-F works fine with larger than 2TB disk drives.  I have a pair of 10TB disks in RAID1 on my system.

As stated several times, the wsdd2 package is needed if you want to be able to browse your Samba shares from your Alt-F NAS if SMB1 is disabled.  Windows 11 does not support SMB1 at all, so if you want to be able to browse for the shares on Windows 11 (i.e. type in \\NASNAME\ and then have it display the shared folders), then you need to install the wsdd2 package.  If you know the full shared path to map (i.e. \\NASNAME\FileFolder), then you can access the share without wsdd2 and/or SMB1.

Tom

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Brian Golek

Apr 2, 2024, 1:42:17 PMApr 2
to al...@googlegroups.com
Can you elaborate on Alt-F packages not working on filesystems bigger than 2TB.  I was thinking of upgrading to 8, 10, or 12TB drives.  I wanted ti only use SMB2 so would need the wsdd2 package installed.

Brian

Dimitrios G. Panagiotidis

Apr 2, 2024, 1:42:18 PMApr 2
to al...@googlegroups.com
What version Windows OS are you using Brian? 11, 10, or 7. Probably 11?! As I have mentioned before, with 10 or 7 you do NOT need wsdd2; please refer to my previous detailed message where I explain the intricacies of turning SMB 1.0 "ON" in windows features and selecting SMB1 or SMB2 (or both) in Alt-F networking. 🙂
--
Dimi...@gMail.com

Bert K

Apr 2, 2024, 1:42:18 PMApr 2
to al...@googlegroups.com
SMB/Samba is the Microsoft folder sharing method, and Linux can be made to use it, but the native Linux method is NFS (Network File System), which can be enabled as well in Alt F, right below smb.

Dimitrios G. Panagiotidis

Apr 2, 2024, 1:44:06 PMApr 2
to al...@googlegroups.com
Tom can you please confirm 100% that with Windows 11 (which, as you say, does not give the option to 'turn ON' SMB 1.0 under 'features') you can still access a Samba share (like with Alt-F) if you know exactly the share path.

OR the wsdd2 package is a "MUST HAVE" plus you also need to know the exact path in order to access the share. I am confused with this issue:

Is the wsdd2 ABSOLUTELY necessary with (presumably Win 11) or NOT? I can absolutely assure you all, that with Win 7 and Win 10 is is NOT needed AT ALL !!!

I just wish someone with Win 11, could verify and conclusively report back.

Thanks!

==

On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 11:35 PM Tom Schmidt <t...@4schmidts.com> wrote:

[...]

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Alt-F" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/alt-f/CAP7Ygkz7HjKQuLw43KROXFYHhq_hkxcsgQm-bThtAjeQ4MuP_A%40mail.gmail.com.

Warren Quin

Apr 3, 2024, 4:21:47 PMApr 3
to Alt-F
If it matters to someone, using:
samba --version
Version 4.19.5

I ran TestParm the line "min client protocol =" was not there with it set to SMB1. I rem'ed the line "min client protocol ="  completely from the /etc/samba/smb.conf. TestParm showed the same results. Things connect as expected. I get this as a result in both cases.:

~$ smbclient -L filesrv03
Password for [WORKGROUP\wquin]:

Sharename       Type      Comment
---------       ----      -------
Users           Disk      Users private folder
Transmission    Disk      Transmission Download area
IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (FileSRV03 NAS)
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

I tested this with a DNS-323 with SMB2 only.

With "min client protocol = SMB2" I get this:
~$ smbclient -L filesrv03
Protocol negotiation to server filesrv03 (for a protocol between SMB2 and SMB3) failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER

Something is odd.... But it works as expected now so...

Marek Posiadała-Wolicki

Apr 4, 2024, 4:52:16 AMApr 4
to Alt-F
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, not using ALT-F yet, but latest official 320L (only SMB 1.0) firmware and I'm using it with my Win11 PC without any problems. Win 11 has option to enable SMB1 protocol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSIS18c0UyY