Temp and Fan control - how to?

Артемий Александрович

May 4, 2015, 4:24:27 PM5/4/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

Hi! My mind is totally broken up because of strange logics in temperature and fan controls in my 320L-A1 with Alt-F 0.1RC4.1.

I need 3 states of fan:

1) from 40*C to 50*C - fan is off

2) at 50*C fan starts spinning at LOW speed, turns off when temp=40*C

3) if temp continue increasing and achieve 55*C so fan starts spinning at HIGH speed, turns off also when temp=40*C

So I'll have 10*C window of quiet (because 320L nearby with my monitor and it's fan is too loud and my hands is too bad to replace it with 120mm quiet fan) in which my HDD can work safely. How I can set it up? I'm already read help about fan and temp controls but nothing there helped me to understand how it works.

On previous official firmware I have used fun_plug with some script that gave me such settings. Here it is. How I can set up Alt-F similar to this? Thanks anyway.

João Cardoso

May 5, 2015, 11:08:29 AM5/5/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, 4 May 2015 21:24:27 UTC+1, Артемий Александрович wrote:

Hi! My mind is totally broken up because of strange logics in temperature and fan controls in my 320L-A1 with Alt-F 0.1RC4.1.

I need 3 states of fan:

1) from 40*C to 50*C - fan is off

The temperature is measured at the box bottom, where it's cooler; the disks are at the top, and they will be hotter! 50ºC at bottom might mean disks at 55ºC, whatch the relationship!

2) at 50*C fan starts spinning at LOW speed, turns off when temp=40*C

3) if temp continue increasing and achieve 55*C so fan starts spinning at HIGH speed, turns off also when temp=40*C

So I'll have 10*C window of quiet (because 320L nearby with my monitor and it's fan is too loud and my hands is too bad to replace it with 120mm quiet fan) in which my HDD can work safely. How I can set it up? I'm already read help about fan and temp controls but nothing there helped me to understand how it works.

You should first tell us what your current settings under Services->System->sysctrl, Configure are and what you get with them. The entries even have tooltips and online help, so -- what have you tried to do and what results you got? You might need to stop/start the sysctrl service after changing values (it should not be needed, just to play in the safe side).

What do you don't understand here?

Артемий Александрович

May 5, 2015, 6:10:17 PM5/5/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
In 320L fan is in the center of the box. Also I have temp sensor in my HDD so I can see actual temp of system (box) and HDD. So everything is nice.

I don't understand how I can get some quiet 'window' when fan is off. Because I have only two parameters to change - fan_off and low_fan. And here is some intersection - fan will be really turned off only when temp will be lower that fan_off. But if it would be greater it will spins at low speed, and if it would be greater that low_fan it will spins at high speed. So if my fan_off temp = 38* it will never turns off because even if temp achieve this value it will keep it just a few minutes before it raise again. So in this situation fan will be permanently turned on. But I need that fan is off whole period up to 50*!

That I don't understand. It cracking my mind. It would be nice just to have 3 parameters: at which temp fan will spins at low speed, at which temp it will raise speed to high and at which temp fan must turn off.

João Cardoso

May 6, 2015, 9:58:39 AM5/6/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
From the Temperature, Fan and Buttons Setup page online help:

In the Temp hysteresis entry you specify the temperature windows around the Fan Off Temp and the Low Temp change points. E.g., if the current temperature is 42, the fan is running at slow speed, the Low Temp value is 40 and the Temp hysteresis is 1, the fan will only stop turning when the current temperature drops to 39 (Low Temp - Temp hysteresis); then, as the system temperature starts raising, the fan will only start turning slow again when the system temperature reaches 41 (Low Temp + Temp hysteresis). The same happens around the Low Temp.

 What do you not understand here?

The reason for this is to diminish the fan turn on/off stress, increasing its life. If hysteresis didn't exists, the fan would be constantly turning on/off or low/fast, as the temperature reaches the turn point.