Newbie with RC2 problems with Transmission

Snoopy

Jul 20, 2012, 2:32:07 PM7/20/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
I have flashed RC2 (not running funplug) onto my DNS-323 B1 system, and figured out how to format, label, and share my new 3TB drive (Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001) to my desktop Windows.  I installed my old drive and copied some data over using the busybox command line.

Now I am trying to setup and configure transmission to run.  Having issues when I try to configure.  Error messages are:
chown: unknown user/group transmission:BT
chown: unknown user/group transmission:BT
HTTP/1.1 303
Location: /cgi-bin/user_services.cgi

I have tried to set up a group named BT and even tried to set up a user called transmission, but still get this error.

I even created a seperate directory /Public/transmission

I checked and there is a file /var/lib/transmission/settings.json.  I can't use vi or nano to look at it (for some unknown reason) , but it did cat to display a bunch of text.

I am not sure what to try next.  My end goal is to move my torrents off the Windows Desktop and leave the DNS running 24/7.

Hopefully someone can help me get this working.

Thanks in advance.

Snoopy

Joao Cardoso

Jul 20, 2012, 8:28:06 PM7/20/12

On Friday, July 20, 2012 7:32:07 PM UTC+1, Snoopy wrote:
I have flashed RC2 (not running funplug) onto my DNS-323 B1 system, and figured out how to format, label, and share my new 3TB drive (Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001) to my desktop Windows.  I installed my old drive and copied some data over using the busybox command line.

Now I am trying to setup and configure transmission to run.  Having issues when I try to configure.  Error messages are:
chown: unknown user/group transmission:BT
chown: unknown user/group transmission:BT
HTTP/1.1 303
Location: /cgi-bin/user_services.cgi

I have tried to set up a group named BT and even tried to set up a user called transmission, but still get this error.

For some reason creation of BT group during install failed.
Excerpts from the install script:

THOME=/var/lib/transmission
addgroup
-S -g 201 BT
adduser
-S -g "Transmission daemon" -G BT -u 13 -h $THOME transmission
chown
-R transmission:BT $THOME

Maybe you alread had a group with an id of '201'? or a user with an id of 13?

I even created a seperate directory /Public/transmission

I checked and there is a file /var/lib/transmission/settings.json.  I can't use vi or nano to look at it (for some unknown reason) ,

'vi' is available. What is the error message?

but it did cat to display a bunch of text.

I am not sure what to try next.  My end goal is to move my torrents off the Windows Desktop and leave the DNS running 24/7.

Hopefully someone can help me get this working.

 You can watch "/etc/group" and "/etc/password", than use 'deluser' or
'delgroup' from the command line to free user 13 and group 201, then try
to reinstall transmission. Or after identifying the user or group in
conflict you can use the web UI to remove them. I have to fix the
install scrip to check for that.

You can re-install using the command line as user 'root', so you can
watch diagnostic messages:

ipkg -force-reinstall install transmission

or you might just uninstall and install it again.

Please report back your findings, so I can fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Snoopy

Snoopy

Jul 21, 2012, 12:13:53 AM7/21/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Joao,

I am not a linux user, but can handle myself on the command line.  Just need to lookup all the various commands to understand them.

Since I had only added one user before I started on getting the transmission system running, I doubt that I had a user 13 or a group 201.

I assume that not being able to use an editor on the settings.json file was due to not having proper permissions.  I did not get an error with vi or nano, just a blank screen.  I originally assumed the file was empty.  Later I remembered the cat command and was able to display the contents.

I looked at /etc/group and /etc/passwd and was able to remove the Group BT that I created.  I was not able to remove the user '#transmission" that existed in passwd.  I KNOW that I did not create it with the '#' sign.

I ran the force-reinstall and when I checked I see the following
    in cat /etc/group  BT:x:201:transmission
    in cat /etc/passwd    #transmission 13   AND  transmission:x:13:201:Transmission daemon:/var/lib/transmission:/bin/false

I also checked the ownership of /var/lib/transmission and it shows proper user and group ownership.

I was able to run the Configure, and it changed the ownership of the directory specified, and now the service is running.

Now I just have to figure out how to work it... :))

Thanks for your help.

Let me know if you want any additional information from my system to help out your debugging.

Take care, and thanks for your great work and support...

Snoopy

P.S  What does the '#' (number sigh or hash sign) mean or signify in the /etc/passwd and /etc/group?

Joao Cardoso wrote:

[...]

Snoopy

Jul 21, 2012, 8:49:22 AM7/21/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Joao,

I guess I forgot to save the settings when I finished getting things
running last night...

This morning when I booted up, the Service-> User for BOTH users and
transmission were not running.

I also checked the /etc/passwd and /etc/group and noticed that my old
manually created ones were there.

I am re-running the ipkg -force-reinstall and will carefully ensure that
I re-configure and save the settings.

I will follow up with progress or issues.

Snoopy

Joao Cardoso

Jul 21, 2012, 5:21:09 PM7/21/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 1:49:22 PM UTC+1, Snoopy wrote:
Joao,

I guess I forgot to save the settings when I finished getting things
running last night...

Yes, that explains it all.
And the warning shows-up in red letters, shall I increase the font size also? :-)

Snoopy

Jul 21, 2012, 5:57:39 PM7/21/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Joao,

I now have transmission working  :))  (I figured out the permissions so I could add the torrent files from windows).

Still, I can not get the User Service to start.

I am in the middle of moving a Big torrent from Windows to the Dlink, so when that completes, I will Save Settings, and then reboot.  I will then follow up and let you know if I can get the Services->User->user to start.

So, just a couple of quick questions...

1.  What does the '#' prefix to a user name or group name signify?
2.  How can I force transmission to re-verify the data I am moving over from Windows - or will it do that automatically?

THANKS

Snoopy

Joao Cardoso

Jul 21, 2012, 6:37:47 PM7/21/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 10:57:39 PM UTC+1, Snoopy wrote:
Joao,

I now have transmission working  :))  (I figured out the permissions so I could add the torrent files from windows).

If you had used the Transmission (Alt-F) web page to configure it, using the Browse button to run the Folder Browser to create the "Transmission folder", then the folder would have the correct permissions and a samba share added, so that dropping a torrent file there would initiate a download.

Still, I can not get the User Service to start.

It is a 'one-shot' service, it does not keeps running, as its description says: " Create diagnostics file and run user script" (at boot time, should be added)

I am in the middle of moving a Big torrent from Windows to the Dlink, so when that completes, I will Save Settings, and then reboot.  I will then follow up and let you know if I can get the Services->User->user to start.

So, just a couple of quick questions...

1.  What does the '#' prefix to a user name or group name signify?

A comment, on most linux configuration files and script command-files. But this is a linux-related question, not an Alt-F one.

2.  How can I force transmission to re-verify the data I am moving over from Windows - or will it do that automatically?

I think that it does that automatically. But again, that is a Transmission question, not an Alt-F one.
I liked http://code.google.com/p/transmission-remote-gtk/ to remotely control Transmission (running on the dns) from my desktop computer.