How to retrieve files/folder from Linux/Ubuntu without DNS-323

Jim Mo

Nov 1, 2013, 4:07:22 AM11/1/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
I'm a newbie to Alt-F and also Ubuntu. I just bought a new 3TB hard disk and found that I can only use it with Alt-F, so I give it a try, everything is excellent and smooth (thanks to the creator of Alt-F), but I have a concern, is about my long term plan, what if my DNS-323 broken and I need to retrieve files/folder from the hard disk? Can I still retrieve files without the DNS-323?

So I tested it out, I tried to unplug the hard disk and then plug it to a hdd-dock with USB and connect it to my laptop (running Ubuntu), I can see the root has "Public" and "Users" folders, but it is lock and I cannot open it to browse/retrieve files.

I am curious, why I can read and write with my old 1TB hard disk (used previously with default firmware from Dlink) and cannot do the same with Alt-F? Any advice I can do this? I need to find out this before deciding continue to use Alt-F or not. Please help, all Gurus here.

Thank you.

João Cardoso

Nov 1, 2013, 11:59:15 AM11/1/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, November 1, 2013 8:07:22 AM UTC, Jim Mo wrote:
I'm a newbie to Alt-F and also Ubuntu. I just bought a new 3TB hard disk and found that I can only use it with Alt-F, so I give it a try, everything is excellent and smooth (thanks to the creator of Alt-F), but I have a concern, is about my long term plan, what if my DNS-323 broken and I need to retrieve files/folder from the hard disk? Can I still retrieve files without the DNS-323?

Yes, Alt-F uses standard partitioning schemes, either MBR for disks smaller then 2GB, or GPT for bigger disks.
MBR was the standard for decades, and GPT is the new standard.

Fileystems created within the partitions are either ext2 or ext3 or ext4, which are also standards in linux.
You cal also format partitions using VFAT, which is an old MS-Win standard.
If you install the ntfs-3g-ntfsprogs package you can also format the partitions using NTFS, which is also a MS-Win standard.

So I tested it out, I tried to unplug the hard disk and then plug it to a hdd-dock with USB and connect it to my laptop (running Ubuntu), I can see the root has "Public" and "Users" folders, but it is lock

What do you mean with 'lock'?
How have you mounted the disk partitions after attaching the USB disk?
What partitions can you see?

and I cannot open it to browse/retrieve files.

I am curious, why I can read and write with my old 1TB hard disk

Then the problem might be that you don't have a GPT aware package installed on your laptop, don't know what Ubuntu uses.
When you find the solution, please report-back, so other will be helped also.

Joao

Lando Siregar

Nov 1, 2013, 11:06:38 PM11/1/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Maybe try to change file/folder permissions
chmod -R 777 /path/to/locked/folder/file
or change file/folder owner
chown -R youruser:yourgroup /path/to/locked/folder/file

ZerO13th