Feature and package requests and bug reports

João Cardoso

Mar 2, 2014, 9:28:34 AM3/2/14

Most often people asks for features or new packages using this forum.

That's OK.
The problem is that if I don't have the time to satisfy the request immediately, new posts will make the request post to go down in the list, and it will eventually disappear from view and I will forgot about it.

I have created at sourceforge  a tickets section where you can made such requests without running the risk for them to be forgotten.

You can also use the sourceforge tickets section to report  bugs.
Until now the Google code Issues section  was used for this purpose, but I intend to discontinue its usage.

The project wiki,  currently hosted at Google Code, is being moved to sourceforge, and it is wide-open for registered sourceforge users, so you can create new wikis or improve existing ones. I reserve myself the right to moderate its usage.
As soon as the current wikis are moved to sourceforge, they will be removed from Google Code.

The project Download section has already moved from Google Code to sourceforge, and the project Source Code section is currently mirrored also at sourceforge.

This forum is likely the only one that will not be moved from Google to sourceforge, mainly because Google doesn't provide an automated way to retrieve old posts, and I don't want to loose all the existing forum "knowledge". If anybody knows how to do that, please enlight me.

Keep enjoying and reporting,
João

CPerpaduan

Nov 14, 2016, 12:48:37 AM11/14/16
to Alt-F
Great effort !!!!! Thanks.

Christopher Matuszak

Feb 17, 2017, 11:25:59 AM2/17/17
to Alt-F
I would love to join the team! Additionally, I can provide unlimited web space with the applications you would need to successfully move the community and resources. Please contact me :D

Christopher Matuszak

Feb 17, 2017, 11:51:28 AM2/17/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
And to export google groups....

I have done this several times successfully..

In fact, I already have a copy ready to go.. Completed 2/17/2017 @ 11:53 AM

João Cardoso

Feb 17, 2017, 2:02:08 PM2/17/17
to Alt-F

On Friday, 17 February 2017 16:51:28 UTC, Christopher Matuszak wrote:

What about the last comment, regarding  "the interface that this uses was recently retired"?

I have done this several times successfully..

In fact, I already have a copy ready to go.. Completed 2/17/2017 @ 11:53 AM

Thanks, I have been thinking on that several times, but I lack the time or motivation.
I have an e-mail archive of all forum posts, if that helps, but I think that attachments are not included (and are links to other forum topics "fixed" during the scrap?)

And where do you suggest the forum to go? My concern is availability in the long term.
Sourceforge has been alive for almost 20 years now, has mirrors all around the world, supports project homepages and forums (although I don't like it's esthetic or functionalities) and already holds the source code and packages repository, so it is a candidate. But how to import the scrapped XML file?

Message has been deleted

Denis Skochilov

Sep 16, 2018, 4:49:46 AM9/16/18
to Alt-F
Hi,
Is it possible to adapted for Alt-F this stuff https://github.com/mitshel/sopds ?

Valerii Koval

Oct 15, 2018, 2:44:31 PM10/15/18
to Alt-F
Hi João!
Thank you for your work all these years!

I'm ready to pay all my attention and build kernel module(s) if needed.
I just need to clarify the direction.

Flow:
1. I plug in usb mini sound card. It worked on original dlink FW with manually compiled usb-hid and/or smth also usb module.
2. dmesg shows kernel has found new usb device and properly deteced it.
3. Even few alsa devices have been created.

but I've found I can't find the sound card.
The hot.log shows few "not found" modules (see starting from DATE=Mon Oct 15 20:23:48 EEST 2018).

My questions:
1. Can I ask you to confirm I need to compile specific modules on my way to make my sound card work?
2. Do I have a chance to find any guide to compile the kernel module anywhere? I saw few links how to build FW, packages. I'm not sure it's good for my case too.

nas_327l.tar.bz2

João Cardoso

Oct 16, 2018, 1:30:46 PM10/16/18
to Alt-F

On Monday, 15 October 2018 19:44:31 UTC+1, Valerii Koval wrote:
Hi João!
Thank you for your work all these years!

I'm ready to pay all my attention and build kernel module(s) if needed.
I just need to clarify the direction.

Flow:
1. I plug in usb mini sound card. It worked on original dlink FW with manually compiled usb-hid and/or smth also usb module.
2. dmesg shows kernel has found new usb device and properly deteced it.
3. Even few alsa devices have been created.

but I've found I can't find the sound card.
The hot.log shows few "not found" modules (see starting from DATE=Mon Oct 15 20:23:48 EEST 2018).

My questions:
1. Can I ask you to confirm I need to compile specific modules on my way to make my sound card work?

I can't confirm that.
I never tested any USB sound card myself, and I even don't know if any is working on Alt-F for anybody.

The hot.log seems to indicate that some modules are missing for your USB hardware, the close match from the manufacturer/vendor ID '0D8C' being

[root@DNS-325]# grep -i 0D8C /lib/modules/4.4.86/modules.*
/lib/modules/4.4.86/modules.alias:alias usb:v0D8Cp0103d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in* snd_usb_audio

but snd_usb_audio is loaded. Noticed that the product ID '013C' doesn't match (what matches is the 0103D product ID)

Another miss is HID, but usbhid is builtin and don't needs to be loaded:

[root@DNS-325]# grep -i hid /lib/modules/4.4.86/modules.*
/lib/modules/4.4.86/modules.builtin:kernel/drivers/hid/hid.ko
/lib/modules/4.4.86/modules.builtin:kernel/drivers/hid/hid-generic.ko
/lib/modules/4.4.86/modules.builtin:kernel/drivers/hid/usbhid/usbhid.ko

You might record what modules are loaded on a linux box, at card plugin, with a proper well supported distro

Sorry, can't help more

2. Do I have a chance to find any guide to compile the kernel module anywhere? I saw few links how to build FW, packages. I'm not sure it's good for my case too.

The instructions on the wiki are the ones. To build kernel modules you need a cross toolchain and be able to compile the kernel; the 'make' in the instructions do all that and also create a root filesystem (that you don't need and that might contain outdated packages download URLs) and then finally create the firmware file (that you might also not need)

You might also look at https://sourceforge.net/p/alt-f/featurerequests/49/ for further build and test insights.

Axtux -

Feb 21, 2019, 3:32:09 AM2/21/19
to Alt-F