Raid-5 USB HDD Spindown possible?

Andreas

Oct 23, 2014, 11:43:11 AM10/23/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

My setup is a DNS-323 B1 (newsest RC Alt-F, i think 0.4) with Raid-5 config. The USB HDD has seperate power. I use the default spindown setting for the HDD (20 minutes), but the USB HDD wont spindown, is this normal or is it my mistake by using bad settings in the config or using seperate power for USB drive?

Thx all
Andreas

João Cardoso

Oct 23, 2014, 4:24:53 PM10/23/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, October 23, 2014 4:43:11 PM UTC+1, Andreas wrote:
Hello!

My setup is a DNS-323 B1 (newsest RC Alt-F, i think 0.4) with Raid-5 config. The USB HDD has seperate power. I use the default spindown setting for the HDD (20 minutes), but the USB HDD wont spindown, is this normal

It depends on the USB to SATA/PATA adapter in use at the external drive. There is no established way to spindown USB atached drives.

-sends SCSI sleep command to attached USB disks (that hdparm can't put at sleep)
 spin-down a disk, to be used with USB drives where hdparm does not works.

This method counts the number of read plus writes to the drive and sends the SCSI sleep command to the drive when RD+RW has not changed after the specified timeout.

So, it might not work for certain drives.

or is it my mistake by using bad settings in the config or using seperate power for USB drive?

If /etc/misc.conf file contains 'HDSLEEP_USB=<value>', that's OK, and you will see in the system log messages such as

force sdc spindown # try to spindown the USB drive
ioctl on sdc: <msg> # failed
SCSI command failed with status <msg> # failed

There is nothing we can do about it, except try another USB adapter or enclosure

Thx all
Andreas

João Cardoso

Oct 23, 2014, 5:03:27 PM10/23/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
You will also see messages like

sdc usb rdwr=234323 last=23543232 spindow=1200 power=1

that shows you how many RD+RW the drive has, had, the spindown timeout in seconds, and the (guessed) current power status

You can force a log update by using the command

kill -USR1 $(pidof sysctrl)