New "RC3" tested on 3TB WD Green

Federico Bellati

Dec 23, 2012, 8:23:16 AM12/23/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Dear Joao Cardoso,
i hope my info is useful 4 y work.

I have installed 2 new 3 TB Western Digital on My DNS323 (HW version C1).

Disks
BayDev.ModelCapacityPower StatusTempHealth
rightsdaWDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 3000.6 GBactive or idle32°C/89.6°Fpassed
leftsdbWDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 3000.6 GBactive or idle31°C/87.8°Fpassed

I have tried w/ RC2 version of Alt-F but during the disk wizard process i have experimented the "fdisk error":

fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them
fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them
Creating raid1... failed:

Then i have tried w/ "RC3" version: Alt-F-0.1-snapshot-20121124 in "tryIt" mode.
No problem w/ the disk wizard and after a reboot i have also tried adding user,..... no problems.

RAID
Dev.CapacityLevelStateStatusActionDoneETA
md02794.0 GB raid1cleanOKidle

Mounted Filesystems
Dev.LabelCapacityAvailableFSModeDirtyAutomatic FSCK in
md02.7TB
2.7TB
ext4RW35 mounts or 179 days

The Partitioner say:
Select the disk you want to partitionfdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them

but is not a problem.

Let me know if there are some specifics you want me to try out.
Thnks 4 All
EffE

Joao Cardoso

Dec 25, 2012, 8:51:01 PM12/25/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, December 23, 2012 1:23:16 PM UTC, Federico Bellati wrote:
> Dear Joao Cardoso,
> i hope my info is useful 4 y work.
>

> I have installed 2 new 3 TB Western Digital on My DNS323 (HW version C1).
>

> DisksBayDev.ModelCapacityPower StatusTempHealthrightsdaWDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 3000.6 GBactive or idle32°C/89.6°FpassedleftsdbWDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 3000.6 GBactive or idle31°C/87.8°Fpassed
>

> I have tried w/ RC2 version of Alt-F but during the disk wizard process i have experimented the "fdisk error":
>

> fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them
> fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them

> Creating raid1... failed:
>

> Then i have tried w/ "RC3" version: Alt-F-0.1-snapshot-20121124 in "tryIt" mode.
> No problem w/ the disk wizard and after a reboot i have also tried adding user,..... no problems.
>

> RAIDDev.CapacityLevelStateStatusActionDoneETAmd02794.0 GB raid1cleanOKidle
>
> Mounted FilesystemsDev.LabelCapacityAvailableFSModeDirtyAutomatic FSCK inmd02.7TB
>

> 2.7TBext4RW35 mounts or 179 days
>

> The Partitioner say:
> Select the disk you want to partitionfdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them
>

> but is not a problem.

Thanks for the report.
It is a problem for me ;-)

I ask to new 3TB disk users to please start using the Disk partitioner first, not the disk wizard, and report both success and failure (a screen shot with the resulting partition after hitting the Partition button will be most welcome).

The reason why I ask this is because RAID syncing a 3TB disk takes some 15 hours, according to some reports, and I understand that nobody wants to repeat the procedure.
Starting testing the disk partitioner is very fast, and does not invalidate using the
Disk wizard afterwards.

Thanks.