Alt-F Login - I don't remember pwd

Gian Maria Filippini

Nov 14, 2014, 4:44:12 PM11/14/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to login (see attached pic) in the webui to access nas setup but I don't remember the pwd anymore. How can I reset it ?

Every pwd I input, the field resets itself.

I did a 30 secs hard-reset (rear button) but I  got the same behaviour.

thanks.

João Cardoso

Nov 14, 2014, 4:54:04 PM11/14/14
If the 30 seconds reset were successful both the amber front leds should blink, the box would reboot and you would be asked for a new password twice, so something is not right. What is your box model? Have you read the "About buttons and leds" wiki?

thanks.

Gian Maria Filippini

Nov 15, 2014, 11:15:24 AM11/15/14

Il giorno venerdì 14 novembre 2014 22:54:04 UTC+1, João Cardoso ha scritto:

On Friday, November 14, 2014 9:44:12 PM UTC, Gian Maria Filippini wrote:
I am trying to login (see attached pic) in the webui to access nas setup but I don't remember the pwd anymore. How can I reset it ?

Every pwd I input, the field resets itself.

I did a 30 secs hard-reset (rear button) but I  got the same behaviour.

If the 30 seconds reset were successful both the amber front leds should blink, the box would reboot and you would be asked for a new password twice, so something is not right. What is your box model? Have you read the "About buttons and leds" wiki?

thanks.

the box model is 323-c1. Yes, during the 30 secs reset the 2 front led blinked and the box rebootet BUT I wasn't asked for a new pwd (that was my goal when I did the 30 secs reset). thanks

João Cardoso

Nov 15, 2014, 12:10:26 PM11/15/14
Than Alt-F is using the password stored in disk.
But as the wiki says, a simpler recovery method is:

Button Recovery Actions

The (recessed reset) back button also has two recovery actions if the Enable Recovery checkbox in Services->System->sysctrl->Configure is checked:

  1. If you keep the back button pressed for more than ten seconds, you can telnet the box at port 26, as root and without password. This is a safeguard in case you forget the password.
  2. As a last safeguard, if you press the back button for more that twenty seconds, all the settings saved in flash will be erased, and the box will do a controlled reboot. This is a last resort safeguard, in case you mess the box configuration so much that you can't do anything with it; after the reboot the box will behave as if no settings has ever been saved, and you have to struggle to find its IP (if you have a DHCP server enabled in your network, the box will use it).

For 0.1B6 onwards the amber leds flash twice a second, so its easy to count seconds :)

This subject has been covered multiple times in the forum, it's a FAQ

Gian Maria Filippini

Nov 16, 2014, 6:04:45 AM11/16/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

Il giorno sabato 15 novembre 2014 17:10:26 UTC, João Cardoso ha scritto:

On Saturday, November 15, 2014 4:15:24 PM UTC, Gian Maria Filippini wrote:

[...]

OK. I did it> using telnet I was able to change the root pwd . According to alt/f wiki root pwd is different from admin pwd which is the password asked in the webgui, Infact even with this change I am still not able to login into the box using the webgui.
could you provide me a step by step procedure to change admin pwd via telnet? i am a windows user and don't know a thing about linux and telnet.

  1. As a last safeguard, if you press the back button for more that twenty seconds, all the settings saved in flash will be erased, and the box will do a controlled reboot. This is a last resort safeguard, in case you mess the box configuration so much that you can't do anything with it; after the reboot the box will behave as if no settings has ever been saved, and you have to struggle to find its IP (if you have a DHCP server enabled in your network, the box will use it).
I tried also this step> the box reboots, if find its ip then on firefox i open the webgui. I am not asked to input the administration pwd twice. there is only one field (see the pic I attached in my first post).
It seems the box doesn't reset.

For 0.1B6 onwards the amber leds flash twice a second, so its easy to count seconds :)

This subject has been covered multiple times in the forum, it's a FAQ.

Yes. I have read the posts... but I am not able to get through this issue on my own.

João Cardoso

Nov 16, 2014, 10:15:38 AM11/16/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, November 16, 2014 11:04:45 AM UTC, Gian Maria Filippini wrote:
I am trying to login (see attached pic) in the webui to access nas setup but I don't remember the pwd anymore. How can I reset it ?
(...)

[...]

I have just added a new entry to the FAQ.

Does it solve the issue? Don't forget to "save settings"

Gian Maria Filippini

Nov 16, 2014, 11:02:56 AM11/16/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

Il giorno domenica 16 novembre 2014 16:15:38 UTC+1, João Cardoso ha scritto:

[...]

THANK YOU!!!
I used putty to telnet the box and issued "rm /etc/web-secret". The box replied with "rm: can't remove 'etc/web-secret': no such file or directory" BUT in the webgui now it asks me to insert twice the pwd!
GREAT. THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help!