ext4 access problems

Paul

Dec 13, 2017, 3:08:37 PM12/13/17
to Alt-F

I'm using Alt-F 0.1RC5 with kernel 3.18.28 on a DNS-323. I recently converted from ext2 to ext4 and now I'm seeing problems streaming using minidlna and copying files from the DNS onto a windows box. Two 1 TB drives are on raid 1.

Under miniDLNA sometimes it'll play the first 30-50 seconds of a video then say "file type not supported", it's really slow to start streaming, some files it says "file type not supported" right off the bat (when I know we've watched these files before). This is viewed/accessed on my LG smart TV.

On Windows, I'm seeing a "ski hill" transfer rate: it'll ramp up then die off to almost nothing. Then if it doesn't die there, it'll keep ramping up and dying off until the file is transferred.

Is this an ext4 problem or something somewhere else?

João Cardoso

Dec 14, 2017, 10:55:32 AM12/14/17
to Alt-F
I don't think it is ext4 related.
Have you used the box with ext2 long enough without issues before converting to ext4?
As you are still on RC5, have you applied the "network corruption" fix?

Paul Mak

Dec 15, 2017, 12:51:46 PM12/15/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I've run on ext2 with no problems. I could stream to my TV fine and transfer files one at a time or by folders without any problems.

I'm pretty sure I've applied the "network corruption" fix, but unless you're a bit more specific I can't know for sure.

Paul

João Cardoso

Dec 15, 2017, 4:17:14 PM12/15/17
to Alt-F

On Friday, 15 December 2017 17:51:46 UTC, Paul wrote:
Yes, I've run on ext2 with no problems. I could stream to my TV fine and transfer files one at a time or by folders without any problems.

I'm pretty sure I've applied the "network corruption" fix, but unless you're a bit more specific I can't know for sure.

Paul Mak

Dec 17, 2017, 8:16:34 PM12/17/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I had applied that fix some time ago.

Paul

Paul

Dec 21, 2017, 9:43:06 PM12/21/17
to Alt-F
I just upgraded to Alt-F 1.0. Windows file transfer seems fine (for a single 350 mb file). I'll try the other types of access and see if anything has improved.