Slow Samba or HW failure?

ZDF

Dec 28, 2016, 9:40:36 AM12/28/16
to Alt-F

  1. The original configuration is simple: DNS-323 original FW - 1.10, one disk, one shared folder, UPNP.
  2. It never worked as it should. I was never able to smoothly play videos using Samba. I had this problems with WD Live TV, Android devices, IPhones, Android TV. The transfer from/to Windows was fine. I thought that the problem is the WIFI router. I have changed it with a newer one with no luck. Then I discovered that it worked better with UPNP.
  3. Sometimes I was unable to access the share - randomly. I was not able to link this behavior to a specific cause. Usually, a reset solved the problem.
  4. Last week I was trying to access it from an Android TV when it suddenly ceased to respond. I thought it was, again, time for a reset. To my great surprise I have noticed that the LEDs color turned to an ugly purple (not the documented amber). I have reset the box and everything seemed normal. (I was not able to find the meaning of pink; I even didn’t know that they are RGB LEDs).
  5. After this event, the box is not working normally (although the LED is no longer pink):

a. Reset or Reset to Factory Default

b. Check the Status -> HD correctly identified

c. Access it from Windows, IOS, Android -> OK (see 2)

d. Don’t use it for 10 minutes.

e. Check Status -> 1 HD found, but not listed (the LEFT HDD table row is missing)

f. No longer able to access it from IOS, Android, Windows

I have moved the data, reset the box to factory defaults, flahsed an older version, ran the wizard, formatted the disk, disable HDD sleeping; nothing helped. It seems like I have to continuously using it if I don’t want to lose access.

I thought that it is a HW problem, that’s why I first checked the HD. Then I looked for a CMOS reset pin; did not find one. And then I found Alt-F. I have two problems with Alt-F:

a. Samba did not work fine with the original FW. With Alt-F is even worst: if I FFW, the players are freezing (I assume data is not available). I have test it with an SD video (700MB),

b. The disk never goes to sleep (even if I try to force it from interface), so I cannot check if I can access it again after 10 minutes (see 5).

I am using the Alt-F’s default settings.

What I would like to do next is a full flash memory erase. Is there a way?

Thank you.

João Cardoso

Dec 29, 2016, 1:11:28 PM12/29/16
to Alt-F
When you flash a new firmware you are doing just that, a full rewrite/overwrite of the two main flash areas (linux kernel and the root filesystem). Of the other two areas remaining one should not touched, as it is vital for the device to boot (that's u-boot); the other is where "settings" are saved. Under Alt-F you can "Clear Settings" under System->settings, but that is not your issue origin.
Your box is probably dying.
If you want to exclude the disk, perform a SMART test on it, Disk->utilities, Health. You can also periodically perform a SMART test under Services->System, smart.
To rule out the wifi (which I think to be the possible source of the network transmission Hiccups), use a wired connection.
To rule out the disks not spinning down issue, unplug the network cable, wait a few minutes after the Disk->Utilities, Spindown timeout and see if the orange/amber leds start heartbeating. This assuming that you have not installed any Alt-F packages, as that can make the disk to be used under the woods. You can try to reduce that under Disk->Utilities, swap, Swap aggressiveness.

Thank you.

ZDF

Dec 29, 2016, 3:12:34 PM12/29/16
to Alt-F
I have performed a SMART test: everything is OK.

Is the box itself or the power. I have measured power-supply's voltage: ~5v and ~11v instead of 12v. When plugged in box, the voltage drops to ~10. I know that SATA needs 12v. I do not know if it works with 11.

Thank you.