Backup dns-323 to Cloud (e.g Google Drive)

Kevin Carbonaro

Mar 27, 2015, 4:32:52 AM3/27/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Do you know of a way to synchronize a DNS-323 with Google Drive? It would be perfect as a solution to backup a chosen folder on the NAS to a chosen folder on Google Drive.

This way if my NAS is destroyed in any way I would still be able to restore from off-site. You can never have enough backups :D

Thanks,
Kevin

João Cardoso

Mar 27, 2015, 10:58:29 AM3/27/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 8:32:52 AM UTC, Kevin Carbonaro wrote:

Hi,

Do you know of a way to synchronize a DNS-323 with Google Drive? It would be perfect as a solution to backup a chosen folder on the NAS to a chosen folder on Google Drive.

I'm currently working on duplicity and successfully performed backups to Dropbox, Google Drive and Amazon S3, so stay tuned. I plan to follow up on s3cmd.

Duplicity is a "classical" backup command line tool, that also allows using ftp, ftps, sftp, ssh, rsync... and other protocols. But its concept of multiple cryptographic signed tar backup volumes might be a killer for most. As such it will not have a webUI.

s3cmd is also command line based, but it is more conventional, so a simple put/get-based webUI might be possible.

Kevin Carbonaro

Mar 27, 2015, 2:42:05 PM3/27/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
That is great news!!! :) I will definitely stay tuned :)

Kevin Carbonaro

Apr 3, 2015, 12:03:43 PM4/3/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
I managed to install Duplicity on my NAS, however cannot find where (in web gui) to set it all up to backup to google drive.

Could you kindly point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Kevin

Joao Cardoso

Apr 3, 2015, 2:40:02 PM4/3/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 5:03:43 PM UTC+1, Kevin Carbonaro wrote:
I managed to install Duplicity on my NAS, however cannot find where (in web gui) to set it all up to backup to google drive.

Could you kindly point me in the right direction?

The announcement says: "It's command line based, but I intend to provide a simplified webUI for it in the future." :-(

Meanwhile use, in a single line:

PASSPHRASE=encrypt_secret_dont_forget FTP_PASSWORD=your_google_password duplicity /Path/to/Folder/to/Backup gdocs://your_goo...@gmail.com/duplicity

It will be stored in the Google Drive 'duplicity' folder.

If you want to have faster backups, or if the data to backup in incompressible (pictures, music, movies,...), use

.... duplicity --gpg-options="-z=0" ...

Kevin Carbonaro

Apr 3, 2015, 3:39:21 PM4/3/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
It worked! Had to create an app specific password though due to 2-step verification, but it worked. Is it possible to actually sync the files without encryption so that I can access them from google drive directly?

Should not be difficult now to get it working through a cron job -  :) Many thanks!

João Cardoso

Apr 6, 2015, 11:51:32 AM4/6/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 8:39:21 PM UTC+1, Kevin Carbonaro wrote:
It worked! Had to create an app specific password though due to 2-step verification, but it worked. Is it possible to actually sync the files without encryption so that I can access them from google drive directly?

No. Duplicity creates tar files, intended for backup and restore purposes. You have to use duplicity to recover from backups, as it uses a "rdiff2 tar format, although it is possible to manually recover data from them.

Should not be difficult now to get it working through a cron job -  :) Many thanks!

You might want to use additional commands for that, namely performing a full backup after N incremental backups, and deleting old unneeded backups.
You might want to read the duplicity manual page. Some highligths:

remove-older-than <time> [--force] <url>
Delete all backup sets older than the given time. Old backup sets will not be deleted if backup sets newer than time depend on them. See the TIME FORMATS section for more information. Note, this action cannot be combined with backup or other actions, such as cleanup. Note also that --force will be needed to delete the files instead of just listing them.
remove-all-but-n-full <count> [--force] <url>
Delete all backups sets that are older than the count:th last full backup (in other words, keep the last count full backups and associated incremental sets). count must be larger than zero. A value of 1 means that only the single most recent backup chain will be kept. Note that --force will be needed to delete the files instead of just listing them.
remove-all-inc-of-but-n-full <count> [--force] <url>
Delete incremental sets of all backups sets that are older than the count:th last full backup (in other words, keep only old full backups and not their increments). count must be larger than zero. A value of 1 means that only the single most recent backup chain will be kept intact. Note that --force will be needed to delete the files instead of just listing them.

PASSPHRASE=encrypt_secret_dont_forget FTP_PASSWORD=your_google_password duplicity /Path/to/Folder/to/Backup gdocs://your_google_name@gmail.com/duplicity

[...]

notoneofmy

Apr 10, 2015, 5:38:17 PM4/10/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
On 15-03-27 3:58 PM, João Cardoso wrote:
> Duplicity is a "classical" backup command line tool, that also allows using
> ftp, ftps, sftp, ssh, rsync... and other protocols. But its concept of
> multiple cryptographic signed tar backup volumes might be a killer for
> most. As such it will not have a webUI.
>
> s3cmd is also command line based, but it is more conventional, so a simple
> put/get-based webUI might be possible.
I'm very, very happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes! Yes! Yes!

notoneofmy

Apr 10, 2015, 5:39:01 PM4/10/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
On 15-04-03 6:03 PM, Kevin Carbonaro wrote:
> I managed to install Duplicity on my NAS, however cannot find where (in web
> gui) to set it all up to backup to google drive.
>
> Could you kindly point me in the right direction?
If by NAS, you mean your Alt-F box; did you read what he said?