Best way to back-up DNS323 running Alt-F

ric...@orang-utan.com

Aug 30, 2014, 12:55:43 AM8/30/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I have a DNS323 running Alt-F RC3.

Everything is working great. I copy files over to the DNS323 from my desktop machine using rsync.

My question is: what's the best way to accomplish off-site back-up of the DNS323?

I would like to back-up to Amazon S3, perhaps using duplicity.

Which of the following?

Install Debian through the Alt-F web interface, then install python, boto, etc. and duplicity.

Install ffp 0.7 through the Alt-F web interface, then install python, boto, etc. and duplicity.

Install fuse and rsync using the Alt-F package manager, then get s3fs and use rsync?

Please let me know what you think!

thanks

Richard
install fuse, then rsync from Alt-F Package Manager, then get S3FS

install Debian?

install ffp?install fuse, then rsync from Alt-F Package Manager, then get S3FS
install Debian?

install ffp?install fuse, then rsync from Alt-F Package Manager, then get S3FS

install Debian?

install ffp?
install fuse, then rsync from Alt-F Package Manager, then get S3FS

install Debian?

install ffp?

João Cardoso

Aug 30, 2014, 8:03:28 PM8/30/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, August 30, 2014 5:55:43 AM UTC+1, ric...@orang-utan.com wrote:
Hi, I have a DNS323 running Alt-F RC3.

Everything is working great. I copy files over to the DNS323 from my desktop machine using rsync.

My question is: what's the best way to accomplish off-site back-up of the DNS323?

I would like to back-up to Amazon S3, perhaps using duplicity.

Which of the following?

Install Debian through the Alt-F web interface, then install python, boto, etc. and duplicity.

Install ffp 0.7 through the Alt-F web interface, then install python, boto, etc. and duplicity.

Install fuse and rsync using the Alt-F package manager, then get s3fs and use rsync?

Please let me know what you think!

I have no experience with Amazon S3, can't advise.

If you are already used to Debian, it will be the most flexible choice, otherwise try ffp.

Notice that you have to upgrade to RC4 in order for (most) new installed Alt-F packages to work, and that Debian install is currently broken for RC4 (a fix will be available soon, or you can search for it in the sourceforge Alt-F tickets).

It might be possible to make s3fs available for Alt-F, it looks like that the main software requirements/dependencies are already available, fill in a package request.
But I will not test it, as I have no S3 account and I don't intend to create one.

Richard Guy

Aug 30, 2014, 8:28:50 PM8/30/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the reply. If i install Debian, what happens...is it put
into a virtual machine...? (Sorry if this is a silly question, I can't
find any documentation.)

thanks

Richard

João Cardoso

Aug 30, 2014, 9:03:30 PM8/30/14

On Sunday, August 31, 2014 1:28:50 AM UTC+1, Richard Guy wrote:
thanks for the reply. If i install Debian, what happens...is it put
into a virtual machine...?

No, it will be installed in the root of a filesystem of your choice (Debian bin, sbin, lib, usr, etc, will all be created there, other fs folders not touched).

After install use 'chroot' to access it. The 'debian' command does most of it, "debian -chroot [command]"

But as the Alt-F modified Debian "message of the day" says: "You now leaved Alt-F, you are on your own" :-)

Richard Guy

Aug 30, 2014, 11:24:56 PM8/30/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

Ok perfect, presumably it's easy to completely exit the chroot environment when done?

Can I access my raid array (where all my files are) from within the chroot...?
Thanks

Richard

On Aug 30, 2014 6:03 PM, "João Cardoso" <whoami...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, August 31, 2014 1:28:50 AM UTC+1, Richard Guy wrote:
thanks for the reply. If i install Debian, what happens...is it put
into a virtual machine...?

No, it will be installed in the root of a filesystem of your choice (Debian bin, sbin, lib, usr, etc, will all be created there).

After install use 'chroot' to access it. The 'debian' command does most of it, "debian -chroot [command]"

But as the Alt-F modified Debian "message of the day" says: "You now leaved Alt-F, you are on your own" :-)

(Sorry if this is a silly question, I can't
find any documentation.)

thanks

Richard

Richard Guy

Aug 31, 2014, 11:47:43 AM8/31/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
...ok even though I have RC3 the Debian install doesn't work. the error is

Extracting installer...

tar: can't open 'data.tar.gz': No such file or directory
tar: can't open 'data.tar.gz': No such file or directory

An error has occurred, cleaning up.

seems to be the same as reported on the sourceforge ticket; I did
download the patch but it doesn't fix the problem. :-(

thanks

Richard

João Cardoso

Aug 31, 2014, 5:18:24 PM8/31/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, August 31, 2014 4:47:43 PM UTC+1, Richard Guy wrote:
...ok even though I have RC3 the Debian install doesn't work. the error is

Extracting installer...

tar: can't open 'data.tar.gz': No such file or directory
tar: can't open 'data.tar.gz': No such file or directory

An error has occurred, cleaning up.

seems to be the same as reported on the sourceforge ticket;

Yes. Debian started compressing the package files with xz and not gzip. Doesn't matter if RC3 or RC4.

I did
download the patch but it doesn't fix the problem. :-(

The patch is for RC4

thanks

Richard

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Richard Guy wrote:
> Ok perfect, presumably it's easy to completely exit the chroot environment
> when done?

yes

> Can I access my raid array (where all my files are) from within the
> chroot...?

yes

> Thanks
>
> Richard

Richard Guy

Sep 1, 2014, 2:08:01 AM9/1/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
ok I think I have it figured out! I successfully upgraded to RC4,
after I updated the packages (per the instructions) I could see my
RAID array ok and all my files seemed to be intact.

Then I patched, and installed Debian.

When I attempted to execute Debian thru the web interface, my unit
stopped responding. I couldn't connect by ssh or telnet or view the
Alt-F web pages. I had to unplug the power.

When I plugged it back in, the unit booted fine. Currently I am
running a verify on the RAID but no problems so far. Meanwhile I
connected by ssh and ran "debian -chroot" as you said above. I think
it worked, the only error message was "mount: mounting usbfs on
/mnt/md0/proc/bus/usb failed: No such file or directory" which doesn't
look important.

I did apt-get update and upgrade. Currently installing duplicity and
dependencies. :-)

To quit the chroot I just type 'exit', right...? Whenever I want to
back up my system with duplicity I just chroot first, then quit when
I'm done...?

thanks so much

Richard